Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: C code in Bash?
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting C code in Bash? Post 302959078 by Lost in Cyberia on Wednesday 28th of October 2015 12:57:50 PM
Old 10-28-2015
C code in Bash?

Hi everyone, in better attempts to learn Bash shell scripting I've been looking at and reviewing people's bash shell scripts on Github. I'm still reviewing "easier" scripts, trying to follow the logic, syntax etc..

I came across this very odd syntax and it really puzzled me.

echo -e "\033[91mVulnerable to $1\033[39m"
echo -e "\033[93mFound non-exploitable $1\033[39m"

What's all of this \033 and [39m business about?

Upon Googling, I see that it has something to do with C code about line syntax? Does anyone know what this does exactly? Does it have to do with formatting the output?

This brings up a larger question in that can you use C syntax and commands like this in a BASH script? Why would some C code work and others not?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash Source Code

Can somebody give me the link to get the source code of BASH? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bhargava
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

xml code in bash shell

Hi, I am trying to develop a bash script that contains an xml code. I want to put the xml code inside the bash script. Is there a way to make that happen?! My goal is to create a script that can allow the user to enter some parameters which can be passed by the script to the xml code :o . ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: the wonderer
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Code stripper for bash script..

Dear all, Is there any open source tool for stripping the comments to bash script without affecting the code part? Please give me any reference to it.. Thanks in Advance... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nila
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help to write bash script code

I am newbie to UNIX. I came across this exercise in one the books.Can anyone help me with this question?????? Write a short Bash script that, given the name of a file as an argument, reads the file name and creates a new file containing only lines which consist of one word. Here is an example... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: krthknaidu
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

What's wrong with my bash code?

I want to let sleep 3 in the background and echo $i pkglists="a b c d e f g" f() { local i set -- $pkglists && ((i +=2)) && sleep 3 &;echo $i } f (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: yanglei_fage
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Understanding bash code

I am not able to understand below line in unix bash shell.Could anyone explain what it will do result="${path1}/*${var1}*${var2}*wssreligibleitem*.csv" path1 is defined and it is a directory path var1 is defined and it holds string value like abc var2 is defined and it holds string value like... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vamsi.valiveti
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash code will not run

Why doesn't the code below run? Am I missing something? Thank you :). syntax() { printf "\n\n" printf "Enter HGVS description of variant(s): "; IFS="," read -a hgvs && printf "\n Nothijng entered. Leaving match function." && sleep 2 && return for ((i=0;... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash code change

I have the below bash which runs great. Before I make a change I wanted to check with experts (as I am not one). After the perl code completes, I am going to display "annotation complete" then go into the remove function . annovar() { # combine id and position files cd... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash FPATH code update

In this post at 302451613-post2.html the link to the code comes up not found. The thread is closed, so I was unable to ask on the thread itself and I do not have enough posts yet to send a private message (or write out a proper html link). Does the author (jim mcanamara) have an updated link? ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: matthewpersico
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash - Validating return code 0

Hi All, I am trying a script out that will startup on one of my servers. i wanted to check for RC 0 and if it didnt check out, exit. Typo- This is BASH (Redhat) This isnt working, and this is the best way to do error checking I feel. Heres my erorr ./start: line 25: syntax error near... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jeffs42885
2 Replies
SYSLOGOUT(8)						      System Manager's Manual						      SYSLOGOUT(8)

NAME
syslogout - modular centralized shell logout mechanism DESCRIPTION
syslogout is a generic approach to enable centralized shell logout actions for all users of a given system in a modular and centralized way mostly aimed at avoiding work for lazy sysadmins. It has only been tested to work with the bash shell. It basically consists of the small /etc/syslogout shell script which invokes other small shell scripts having a .bash suffix which are con- tained in the /etc/syslogout.d/ directory. The system administrator can drop in any script he wants without any naming convention other than that the scripts need to have a .bash suffix to enable automagic sourcing by the /etc/syslogout script. For shell sessions, the contents of /etc/syslogout.d/" will be sourced by every user at logout if the following lines are present in his $HOME/.bash_logout: if [ -f /etc/syslogout ]; then . /etc/syslogout fi If used for X sessions it is advisable to include the former statement into the Xreset script of the X display manager instead to prevent that closing of an terminal emulator window yields unexpected results in your running X session if your X11 terminal emulator is using a login shell. Be sure then to run it under the user-id of the X session's user. See the example files in /usr/share/doc/syslogout/ for illustration. Users not wanting /etc/syslogout to be sourced for their environment can easily disable it's automatic mechanism. It can be disabled by simply creating an empty file called $HOME/.nosyslogout in the user's home directory using e.g. the touch(1) command. Any single configuration file in /etc/syslogout.d/ can simply be overridden by any user by creating a private $HOME/.syslogout.d/ directory which may contain a user's own version of any configuration file to be sourced instead of the system default. It's names have just to match exactly the system's default /etc/syslogout.d/ configuration files. Empty versions of these files contained in the $HOME/.syslo- gout.d/ directory automatically disable sourcing of the system wide version. Naturally, users can add and include their own private scripts to be automagically executed by /etc/syslogout at logout time. OPTIONS
There are no options other than those dictated by shell conventions. Anything is defined within the configuration scripts themselves. SEE ALSO
The README files and configuration examples contained in /usr/share/doc/syslogout/ and the manual page for bash(1), xdm(1x), xdm.options(5), and wdm(1x). Recommended further reading is everything related with shell programming. If you need a similar mechanism for executing code at login time check out the related package sysprofile(8) which is a very close compan- ion to syslogout. BUGS
syslogout in its current form is mainly restricted to bash(1) syntax. In fact it is actually a rather embarrassing quick and dirty hack than anything else - but it works. It serves the practical need to enable a centralized bash configuration until something better becomes available. Your constructive criticism in making this into something better" is very welcome. Before i forget to mention it: we take patches... ;-) AUTHOR
syslogout was developed by Paul Seelig <pseelig@debian.org> specifically for the Debian GNU/Linux system. Feel free to port it to and use it anywhere else under the conditions of either the GNU public license or the BSD license or both. Better yet, please help to make it into something more worthwhile than it currently is. SYSLOGOUT(8)