Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Facing issues with cronjobs
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Facing issues with cronjobs Post 302958533 by rbatte1 on Friday 23rd of October 2015 05:35:02 AM
Old 10-23-2015
Given the information so far, ....................., um?? Where do we start?

Because the logs are being written, we can be sure that the cron part works, but is the log created by redirecting the output to a file in the crontab entry, e.g.:-
Code:
00 12 * * * /home/my_noon_script > /home/my_noon_log 2>/hom/myu_noon_errors

After than, can we see the code being called? If not, then we can't really advise you.

Robin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

cronjobs

hi How can I add a cronjob to the crontab file? to execute a shel script named testScript.sh every day at 00:00. Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tamer
3 Replies

2. AIX

Cronjobs

We recently upgrade from AIX 4.3.3 to AIX 5.3, We noticed that some cronjobs that run for our programmers did not fire off this morning. You can crontab -l and -e and see the jobs. Did AIX 5.3 change something? Thanks Mike (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mcastill66
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Is this possible with cronjobs?

Hi there, i've a question about cronjobs. I'm creating a concept for a centralized logging repository using log4j/log4net. Sadly the appenders I want to use (fileappenders) aren't telegram based but need a permanent stream to the repository. Because I can not assure this I want to log these... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: collatz
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Facing issues with tar and gzip !

Hi, I am trying to :- (1.) Tar the file and then (2.) Gzip it ! Tar command :- tar -cvf BLUESTAR_Archive.log_$(date +%y_%m_%d_%H_%M).tar /app/local/XXX/XXX/XXX/logs Gzip command :- Gzip /app/local/XXX/XXX/XXX/logs/BLUESTAR_Archive.log_$(date +%y_%m_%d_%H_%M).tar ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: acidburn_007
9 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Facing issues while running a cronjob !

Hi, I am trying to run a cronjob. But while doing so I am getting the following error message :- can't open yourfile in /var/spool/cron/crontabs directory. No such file or directory How can I resolve this issue ? Please help. Thanks Please view this code tag video for... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: acidburn_007
14 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Facing issues with Content-Type:application/x-download Content-Disposition:attachment

I am in the process of developing a perl cgi page. I had succeeded in developing the page but there are few errors/issues with the page. description about cgi page: My CGI page retrieves all the file names from an directory and displays the files in drop down menu for downloading the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: scriptscript
5 Replies

7. Web Development

CronJobs issues after SSL certificate

Hello! I had a cron job running on my website, activating a php script every friday. The Php script just activated another photo to add in the gallery. It worked fine until I got an SSL certificate for my website, then everything broke. This was the command before: lynx -source... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: AGDesign
0 Replies

8. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Regarding facing issues while accessing UNIX.com site

Hello Moderators/Admins, This is regarding an issue which I am facing from last 7 to 8 days. Issue is while trying to access this forum(simple hitting http://unix.com) I am able to login but many times my request gets timed out or 404 error or if I am able to login it will be excessive slow even... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: RavinderSingh13
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Facing issues with rsync

Hello Gurus, I am running rsync command to copy certain Directories and files into that directories to remote server. While ruuning the command all teh files has been copied but I am facing error. The below command I am executing to copy Directories and files to remote server: rsync -avrz ssh... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pokhraj_d
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Facing issues with shell script changes

My current requirement is to replace xxyxx string with value of date date1 variable holds a date and the current script writes html tags to a file as follows echo date1 nawk 'BEGIN{ FS="," print "<HTML>""<HEAD>""<p>Hi All,<br><br>There are no cases closed on the xxyxx" print ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rajesh A S
2 Replies
CRON(8) 						    BSD System Manager's Manual 						   CRON(8)

NAME
cron -- daemon to execute scheduled commands (ISC Cron V4.1) SYNOPSIS
cron [-n] [-x debugflags] DESCRIPTION
cron is normally started during system boot by rc.d(8) framework, if cron is switched on in rc.conf(5). It will return immediately so you don't have to start it with '&'. cron searches /var/cron/tabs for crontab files which are named after accounts in /etc/passwd. Crontabs found are loaded into memory. cron also searches for /etc/crontab which is in a different format (see crontab(5)). Finally cron looks for crontabs in /etc/cron.d if it exists, and executes each file as a crontab. When cron looks in a directory for crontabs (either in /var/cron/tabs or /etc/cron.d) it will not process files that: - Start with a '.' or a '#'. - End with a '~' or with ``.rpmsave'', ``.rpmorig'', or ``.rpmnew''. - Are of zero length. - Their length is greater than MAXNAMLEN. cron then wakes up every minute, examining all stored crontabs, checking each command to see if it should be run in the current minute. When executing commands, any output is mailed to the owner of the crontab (or to the user named in the MAILTO environment variable in the crontab, if such exists). Events such as START and FINISH are recorded in the /var/log/cron log file with date and time details. This information is useful for a num- ber of reasons, such as determining the amount of time required to run a particular job. By default, root has an hourly job that rotates these log files with compression to preserve disk space. Additionally, cron checks each minute to see if its spool directory's modtime (or the modtime on /etc/crontab or /etc/cron.d) has changed, and if it has, cron will then examine the modtime on all crontabs and reload those which have changed. Thus cron need not be restarted when- ever a crontab file is modified. Note that the crontab(1) command updates the modtime of the spool directory whenever it changes a crontab. The following options are available: -x This flag turns on some debugging flags. debugflags is comma-separated list of debugging flags to turn on. If a flag is turned on, cron writes some additional debugging information to system log during its work. Available debugging flags are: sch scheduling proc process control pars parsing load database loading misc miscellaneous test test mode - do not actually execute any commands bit show how various bits are set (long) ext print extended debugging information -n Stay in the foreground and don't daemonize cron. Daylight Saving Time and other time changes Local time changes of less than three hours, such as those caused by the start or end of Daylight Saving Time, are handled specially. This only applies to jobs that run at a specific time and jobs that are run with a granularity greater than one hour. Jobs that run more fre- quently are scheduled normally. If time has moved forward, those jobs that would have run in the interval that has been skipped will be run immediately. Conversely, if time has moved backward, care is taken to avoid running jobs twice. Time changes of more than 3 hours are considered to be corrections to the clock or timezone, and the new time is used immediately. SIGNALS
On receipt of a SIGHUP, the cron daemon will close and reopen its log file. This is useful in scripts which rotate and age log files. Natu- rally this is not relevant if cron was built to use syslog(3). FILES
/var/cron/tabs cron spool directory /etc/crontab system crontab file /etc/cron.d/ system crontab directory /var/log/cron log file for cron events SEE ALSO
crontab(1), crontab(5) AUTHORS
Paul Vixie <vixie@isc.org> BSD
October 12, 2011 BSD