Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How to chnage format and subtract time and date and get average.? Post 302958515 by RudiC on Friday 23rd of October 2015 04:58:44 AM
Old 10-23-2015
Any attempt from your side?

---------- Post updated at 10:58 ---------- Previous update was at 10:57 ----------

And, I don't have the slightest clue of what you want to achieve.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

format date/time presentation

1) i am trying to print the timeframe of a log file using the start/end date/time being extracted from the file itself. my problem is how to convert the following numeric date format to the one that i prefer: Start time: 0204161129 End time : 0204171431 into: Start time: Apr 16 2002... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: apalex
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Subtract date & time in diferent rows

Hi Friends :) I have a long file having fields in the form : Field1 yy/mm/dd hh:mm:ss Duration(Sec) line 1) 123123 05/11/30 12:12:56 145 line 2) 145235 05/11/30 12:15:15 30 line 3) 145264 05/11/30 13:14:56 178 . . I want to subtract yy/dd/dd hh:mm:ss in line (2) from yy/mm/dd hh:mm:ss in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vanand420
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert Epoch time format to normal date time format in the same file

I have a file named "suspected" with series of line like these : {'protocol': 17, 'service': 'BitTorrent KRPC', 'server': '219.78.120.166', 'client_port': 52044, 'client': '10.64.68.44', 'server_port': 8291, 'time': 1226506312L, 'serverhostname': ''} {'protocol': 17, 'service': 'BitTorrent... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rk4k
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Date and Time format

I want to append current date and time to a file name like filename_090920091210. If I use filename_`date +%d%m%Y%T`, the ouput is filename_0909200912:10:33. How to format this as filename_090920091210. Please let me know. Thanks in advance. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: srimenon09
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

date and time in mm/dd/yyyy hh:mm format

Frens, I have a logfile which has got manier things in it and somewer in that file i have a date in mm/dd/yyyy hh:mm format.... I just need to get the date and time nothing else.... i have searched in this forum for it but got only date in mm-dd-yyyy format.. but i need to search for... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: smarty86
10 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk & date time format

This gives: grep "qprt -o -dp -N 1 -P" printfile.log.1216 |awk '{print $7, $9}' |grep lpc1z The output like below: lpc1z /cerner/d_prod/print/ccltemp4235396d030a.dat.tmp.1216075330] lpc1z /cerner/d_prod/print/ccltemp4235396d036a.dat.tmp.1216075634] lpc1z... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Daniel Gate
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Shell Scripts - shows today’s date and time in a better format than ‘date’ (Uses positional paramete

Hello, I am trying to show today's date and time in a better format than ‘date' (Using positional parameters). I found a command mktime and am wondering if this is the best command to use or will this also show me the time elapse since 1/30/70? Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thanks... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: citizencro
3 Replies

8. HP-UX

DATE and TIME format help in HP-UX

Hello, I have date format as shown in red color below Fri, Sep 12, 2012 08:38:05 PM Can anyone help me with command to change this format to yyyy-mm-dd and HH:MM:SS Note: Time should be in 24 hours format I really appreciate your help!! Thanks, Elavarasan (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Elavarasan
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Subtract two rows (in Time format)

Hello all, I have written sth like this: #!/bin/bash grep -e XXX -e YYYY myfile.log | grep -v ZZZ | awk '{print $1 " " $2 ";" $3 ";" $9 ";" $11}' > myfile.csv sed -i '1iDate;Time;From;To' myfile.csv => it is clear that it converts log to csv and add a header. Now I want to subtract row... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: frhling
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Date command - subtract from given time

the given time is: 12:13:00 how do i subtract a 10 minutes from any given time? date '12:13:00' '-10 min' also tried this: date +12:13:00 '-10 min' (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
2 Replies
DATE(1) 						    BSD General Commands Manual 						   DATE(1)

NAME
date -- display or set date and time SYNOPSIS
date [-ajnu] [-d date] [-r seconds] [+format] [[[[[[CC]yy]mm]dd]HH]MM[.SS]] DESCRIPTION
date displays the current date and time when invoked without arguments. Providing arguments will format the date and time in a user-defined way or set the date. Only the superuser may set the date. The options are as follows: -a Use adjtime(2) to change the local system time slowly, maintaining it as a monotonically increasing function. -a implies -n. -d date Parse the provided human-described date and time and display the result without actually changing the system clock. (See parsedate(3) for examples.) -j Parse the provided canonical representation of date and time (described below) and display the result without actually changing the system clock. -n The utility timed(8) is used to synchronize the clocks on groups of machines. By default, if timed is running, date will set the time on all of the machines in the local group. The -n option stops date from setting the time for other than the current machine. -r seconds Print out the date and time that is seconds from the Epoch. -u Display or set the date in UTC (universal) time. An operand with a leading plus (+) sign signals a user-defined format string which specifies the format in which to display the date and time. The format string may contain any of the conversion specifications described in the strftime(3) manual page, as well as any arbitrary text. A <newline> character is always output after the characters specified by the format string. The format string for the default display is: %a %b %e %H:%M:%S %Z %Y If an operand does not have a leading plus sign, it is interpreted as a value for setting the system's notion of the current date and time. The canonical representation for setting the date and time is: CC The first two digits of the year (the century). yy The second two digits of the year. If yy is specified, but CC is not, a value for yy between 69 and 99 results in a CC value of 19. Otherwise, a CC value of 20 is used. mm The month of the year, from 01 to 12. dd The day of the month, from 01 to 31. HH The hour of the day, from 00 to 23. MM The minute of the hour, from 00 to 59. SS The second of the minute, from 00 to 61. Everything but the minutes is optional. Time changes for Daylight Saving and Standard time and leap seconds and years are handled automatically. ENVIRONMENT
The following environment variables affect the execution of date: TZ The timezone to use when displaying dates. See environ(7) for more information. FILES
/etc/localtime Symlink pointing to system's default timezone information file in /usr/share/zoneinfo directory. /var/log/wtmp A record of date resets and time changes. /var/log/messages A record of the user setting the time. EXAMPLES
The command: date '+DATE: %m/%d/%y%nTIME: %H:%M:%S' will display: DATE: 11/21/87 TIME: 13:36:16 The command: date 8506131627 sets the date to ``June 13, 1985, 4:27 PM''. The command: date 1432 sets the time to 2:32 PM, without modifying the date. DIAGNOSTICS
Exit status is 0 on success, 1 if unable to set the date, and 2 if able to set the local date, but unable to set it globally. Occasionally, when timed(8) synchronizes the time on many hosts, the setting of a new time value may require more than a few seconds. On these occasions, date prints: 'Network time being set'. The message 'Communication error with timed' occurs when the communication between date and timed fails. SEE ALSO
adjtime(2), gettimeofday(2), settimeofday(2), parsedate(3), strftime(3), utmp(5), timed(8) R. Gusella and S. Zatti, TSP: The Time Synchronization Protocol for UNIX 4.3BSD. STANDARDS
The date utility is expected to be compatible with IEEE Std 1003.2 (``POSIX.2''). BSD
November 15, 2006 BSD