Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: File copy issue in Solaris
Operating Systems Solaris File copy issue in Solaris Post 302957771 by sembii on Thursday 15th of October 2015 01:51:15 AM
Old 10-15-2015
Hi Don Cragun,

Yeah, read your post, sorry for not enough details. Here are some details.
1. Source file size is 10mb. Actually there are many files with the size greater than 10GB. But I chose 10mb sized one file as test.
2. I'm using cp and scp both.
scp -C source_file oracle@remote_host:/path/to/dir
cp source_file /path/to/destination

3. I used du -sh command to see file size. ls -l command shows the size same as source file. But du -sh command shows different size. I think that ls -l command is showing only file size info in the header and du -sh command is showing size on the disk.
4. Yes, source and destination filesystem are same. I'm using Solaris ZFS filesystem
5. Yes, command completed without error.
6. du -sh and ls -ltr results are different. Please see 3th answer.
7. Already checked if there's any log. But I didn't see any log.
8. Solaris 10 runs on both source and dest server.
9. If I copy files from source server to local disk of the remote server it copies file without issue. All file sizes are correct.
If I copy file from source server to sunstorage disk of the remote server, copied file size is decreased. That means this issue is related to SunStorage.

---------- Post updated at 01:51 PM ---------- Previous update was at 11:27 AM ----------

I'm checking storage and will share the result here.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

copy from Solaris to HyperTerm

Hello, I try to copy a small file e.g. /etc/hosts from my workstation to my office Pc via serial cable on Port b. (/dev/term/b) But I donīt now how! On the Pc I can only use the HyperTerm on NT because this is the released software. There is an option to send or receive data but i have no idea... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: joerg
11 Replies

2. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

on solaris best utility to copy a file system?

Hi, - on a solaris box what is the best utility to copy a whole file system from one place to other? - the aim of the operation is to place the contents of the whole file system to other file system within the discs cp ? - cpio? - tar? - what about file systemes containing symbolic links ?... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: JAKEZ
1 Replies

3. Solaris

need to copy file from solaris to windows

Hi my OS is solaris 9 , we have requirement to copy 1 file from solaris box to windows machine , so which utility or commands any idea will be appreciated Regards (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: maooah
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Issue with the copy command

Hi, I was copying a bunch of files from one folder to another.. while copy command was running i pressed 'ctrl C'...now these files are not present in the parent directory nor in the target folder... :eek: Where can find these files... Is there any way to get this files back.. :confused:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Amey Joshi
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Solaris KSH shell script to copy all lines from one file to another

Hello, more of a windows wscript guy. However I took a new position that requires me to support some solaris servers. So... issue is that I need to copy all lines from a file to a temporary file and then copy them back into the original file starting at line 1. Reason I need to do this is... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ZigZaggin
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unzipping a file in Solaris - Issue with xls file

Hi, I have an excel file generated by system in windows. I am zipping it, transfering to unix and unzipping there. But i'm getting below output while unzipping. $ /usr/bin/unzip -a 123.zip -d . Archive: 123.zip inflating: ./123/Index.xls When i copy this unzipped xls file to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajaykumarb
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Issue with Reflection - text copy beyond screen.

Hi, Gretings, While viewing the contents of a file using more/cat in Reflection, I am neither able to see the text beyond the width of screen, nor able to type it as well. I have tried changing windows settings also, but of no vail. Even if I cat/more a file and try to copy its contents, it... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dipanchandra
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to copy the directory but not copy certain file

Hi experts cp bin root src /mnt but not copy bin/bigfile any help? ( I post this thread in the "redhat" forum wrongly, I don't know how to withdraw that question in that wrong forum) Thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: yanglei_fage
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Issue with copy command

Hi, I have a shell script which is having copy command. My need is to copy all the files in a directory into its subdirectory. My directory structure is like this. Dir1 file1.txt file2.txt file3.txt subDir1 subDir1 is a subdirectory in Dir1. Now I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: yuvi
2 Replies
dcopy(1M)																 dcopy(1M)

NAME
dcopy - copy HFS file system with compaction SYNOPSIS
fsize[source_fs destination_fs DESCRIPTION
The command copies an existing HFS file system (source_fs) to a new HFS file system (destination_fs), appropriately sized to hold the reor- ganized results. For best results, the source file system should be a raw device, and the destination file system should be a block device. Always run on unmounted file systems. (In the case of the root file system, copy it to a new minidisk.) If no options are specified, copies files from source_fs, compressing directories by removing vacant entries and spacing consecutive blocks in a file by the optimal rotational gap. If options such as or are specified, the destination file system structure will be different from that of the source file system. makes the destination file system identical to the source file system and preserves the pack and volume labels. Thus, to compress a file system without moving it, use to copy the files to another file system and the command to copy the file back (see dd(1)). Directory compression is accomplished by running on the primary copy of the file system and allowing the modified directories to propagate to the other copies of the file system in the normal manner. Options recognizes the following options: Move subdirectories to the beginning of directories. Specify the file system size (fsize) and inode-list size (isize) in blocks. If this option is not specified, the source file-system value is used. Specify the HFS file system type. The type of a file system can be determined with the command (see fstyp(1M)). See Supply device information for creating the best organization of blocks in a file. cyl is the number of block per cylinder; skip is the number of blocks to skip. Report size of source and destination file system. Echo the completed command line, but performs no other actions. The command line is generated by incorporating the user-specified options and other information derived from This option allows you to verify the command line. EXAMPLES
can be executed with or without options. If no options are specified as in this example, the source and destination file systems are iden- tical. Any differences between the two file systems lie only in the available disk space. If options are specified, expect a major difference between the source and destination file system structure: WARNINGS
produces invalid results if run on a mounted file system. The figures specified in option arguments cannot be smaller than corresponding figures in the source file system. DEPENDENCIES
only operates on HFS file systems. AUTHOR
was developed by HP. SEE ALSO
dd(1), fstyp(1M), disk(7). STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
dcopy(1M)