Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Difference between two date values Post 302957621 by sam@sam on Tuesday 13th of October 2015 09:41:47 AM
Old 10-13-2015
Difference between two date values

Code:
bash-3.00$ date

Tue Oct 13 15:03:54 CEST 2015
Code:
start=`date +"%T" | awk -F":" '{print $2,$3}'`
echo $start
08 17
end=`date +"%T" | awk -F":" '{print $2,$3}'`
echo $end
08 37

how can I get the difference between above both timestamps, Im trying but getting errors: any one please help
Code:
bash-3.00$ echo `expr $end - $start`
expr: syntax error

bash-3.00$ echo  $(($end - $start))
bash: 08: value too great for base (error token is "08")

expected output for this case should be something like 00 20

Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment Please use CODE tags for sample input and output as well as for code segments.

Last edited by Don Cragun; 10-22-2015 at 03:10 AM.. Reason: Put sample output in bold CODE tags.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

date difference

hi, i have 2 dates in the form: '20080315120030' and '20080310140030'. i.e. YYYYMMDDHHMMSS. i need a way of getting the difference between them using shell script. any thoughts? (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: muay_tb
14 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script getting difference values from files

Hi I want to write a BASH script. I have files updated every hour from two platforms.The file names are : - Falcon_smsCounters_1200020708.log - Canari_smsCounters_1200020708.log 1200 refers to hour twelve and 020708 to 02 july 2008. Inside every file i have a list of parameters... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: salimayoub
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Korn Shell Variable values difference

I am using two shell scripts a.ksh and b.ksh a.ksh 1. Sets the value +++++++++++++++++ export USER1=abcd1 export PASSWORD=xyz +++++++++++++++++ b.ksh 2. Second scripts calls sctipt a.ksh and uses the values set in a.ksh and pass to an executable demo... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kunalseth
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calculate difference between two successive values

Hi, I have a file containing timestamps (at micro-seconds granularity). It looks like the following: 06:49:42.383818 06:49:42.390190 06:49:42.392308 06:49:42.392712 06:49:42.393437 06:49:42.393960 06:49:42.402115 Now I need a sed/awk script to take the difference of two successive... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sajal.bhatia
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Difference in date

Dear all, I fancy that I'm pretty competent in ksh, but I have someone on HP-UX wanting me to script up a simple interface to handle user alterations rather than giving them high privileges to run up SAM. This is all fairly straightforward, but I'm stuck on an epoch date issue. When we have... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rbatte1
6 Replies

6. Homework & Coursework Questions

help with the date difference

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: The problem i have is that i probably make a few mistake here in the code but don't know what it is and i try to get the date difference but don't know where to add the days_in_month function 2. Relevant commands, code,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mgyeah
1 Replies

7. Programming

Date difference

I tried the below code to find difference between two dates. It works fine if the day of the month is 2-digit number. But it fails when we have a single-digit day of month(ex:1-9). my code is as below. please help me soon. #!/usr/bin/perl -w use strict; use Time::Local; ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: anandrec
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Date difference

HI All , i need a bash script to find the number of days between two dates . Format YYYY-MM-DD THanks, Neil (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nevil
1 Replies

9. AIX

Time Difference between date and date -u

Hi Everyone, We are having an issue with date and date -u in our AIX Systems. We have checked environment variable TZ and /etc/environment and however, we could not rectify the difference. >date Thu Mar 19 22:31:40 IST 2015 >date -u Thu Mar 19 17:01:44 GMT 2015 Any clue... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: madhav.kunapa
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Changing CSV files with date . Subtracting date by values

Hi All, I have a CSV file which is as below. Basically I need to take the year column in it and find if the year is >= 20152 . If that is then I should subtract all values by 6. In the below example in description I am having number mentioned as YYWW so I need to subtract those by -5. Whereever... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunkumar_mca
8 Replies
ucblinks(1B)					     SunOS/BSD Compatibility Package Commands					      ucblinks(1B)

NAME
ucblinks - adds /dev entries to give SunOS 4.x compatible names to SunOS 5.x devices SYNOPSIS
/usr/ucb/ucblinks [-e rulebase] [-r rootdir] DESCRIPTION
ucblinks creates symbolic links under the /dev directory for devices whose SunOS 5.x names differ from their SunOS 4.x names. Where possi- ble, these symbolic links point to the device's SunOS 5.x name rather than to the actual /devices entry. ucblinks does not remove unneeded compatibility links; these must be removed by hand. ucblinks should be called each time the system is reconfiguration-booted, after any new SunOS 5.x links that are needed have been created, since the reconfiguration may have resulted in more compatibility names being needed. In releases prior to SunOS 5.4, ucblinks used a nawk rule-base to construct the SunOS 4.x compatible names. ucblinks no longer uses nawk for the default operation, although nawk rule-bases can still be specifed with the -e option. The nawk rule-base equivalent to the SunOS 5.4 default operation can be found in /usr/ucblib/ucblinks.awk. OPTIONS
-e rulebase Specify rulebase as the file containing nawk(1) pattern-action statements. -r rootdir Specify rootdir as the directory under which dev and devices will be found, rather than the standard root directory /. FILES
/usr/ucblib/ucblinks.awk sample rule-base for compatibility links ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWscpu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
devlinks(1M), disks(1M), ports(1M), tapes(1M), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 13 Apr 1994 ucblinks(1B)