Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Search for a pattern in a file and split the line into two lines Post 302957545 by Don Cragun on Monday 12th of October 2015 03:56:01 PM
Old 10-12-2015
With a standards conforming version of sed, try:
Code:
sed 's/\(varchar[(]30[)]\) \(Select\)/\1\
\2/' Input_file

producing the output:
Code:
declare @newname varchar(30)
Select @newname = filename from table_bck

I believe GNU sed would allow \n instead of the \<newline> shown here, but it probably would also have to be told to conform to the standards with something like:
Code:
sed --posix 's/\(varchar[(]30[)]\) \(Select\)/\1\
\2/' Input_file

to get the parenthesized expressions to work correctly. (I don't have a GNU sed available to test at the current time.)

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search file for pattern and grab some lines before pattern

I want to search a file for a string and then if the string is found I need the line that the string is on - but also the previous two lines from the file (that the pattern will not be found in) This is on solaris Can you help? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: frustrated1
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split File Based on Line Number Pattern

Hello all. Sorry, I know this question is similar to many others, but I just can seem to put together exactly what I need. My file is tab delimitted and contains approximately 1 million rows. I would like to send lines 1,4,& 7 to a file. Lines 2, 5, & 8 to a second file. Lines 3, 6, & 9 to... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: shankster
11 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search a pattern in a file with contents in a single line

Hi all I am searching for a pattern in a file . The file content is in a single line.If am doing a grep or sed for the a particular pattern am getting whole file. I want the result in different lines. attaching the file for reference search pattern "/xxxxxx/hhhh/tttttttt/sss/" and... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sparks
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search for a pattern in a file and print previous lines from a particular point

Hi, I am new to ksh scripting and I have a problem. I have a file in which I have to search for a particular pattern say 'a' then from that line I need to search for another pattern say 'b' in the previous lines and thne print the file from pattern 'b' till the end of file. For eg: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: umaislearning
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep the word from pattern line and update in subsequent lines till next pattern line reached

Hi, I have got the below requirement. please suggest. I have a file like, Processing Item is: /data/ing/cfg2/abc.txt /data/ing/cfg3/bgc.txt Processing Item is: /data/cmd/for2/ght.txt /data/kernal/config.klgt.txt I want to process the above file to get the output file like, ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rbalaj16
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search for a pattern,extract value(s) from next line, extract lines having those extracted value(s)

I have hundreds of files to process. In each file I need to look for a pattern then extract value(s) from next line and then search for value(s) selected from point (2) in the same file at a specific position. HEADER ELECTRON TRANSPORT 18-MAR-98 1A7V TITLE CYTOCHROME... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: AshwaniSharma09
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search pattern and write line into another file

Hi, I have a file which contains the below details.. My requirement is to fetch all the lines which are starting with "ABC_XY_" into 1 file and rest of the lines (not starting with "ABC_XY_") into another file. Could you please help with what command needs to be used? file1.txt ----------... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: satyaatcgi
12 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to split a file based on pattern line number?

Hi i have requirement like below M <form_name> sdasadasdMklkM D ...... D ..... M form_name> sdasadasdMklkM D ...... D ..... D ...... D ..... M form_name> sdasadasdMklkM D ...... M form_name> sdasadasdMklkM i want split file based on line number by finding... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhaskar v
10 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Reading a file line by line and print required lines based on pattern

Hi All, i want to write a shell script read below file line by line and want to exclude the lines which contains empty value for MOUNTPOINT field. i am using centos 7 Operating system. want to read below file. # cat /tmp/d5 NAME="/dev/sda" TYPE="disk" SIZE="60G" OWNER="root"... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: balu1234
4 Replies
gnome-search-tool(1)						   User Commands					      gnome-search-tool(1)

NAME
gnome-search-tool - search for files SYNOPSIS
gnome-search-tool [--name=filename] [--path=folder] [--sortby=order] [--descending] [--autostart] [--contains=string] [--user=user] [--group=group] [--nouser] [--mtimeless=date] [--mtimemore=date] [--sizeless=size] [--sizemore=size] [--empty] [--notnamed=filename] [--regex=pattern] [--follow] [--allmounts] [gnome-std-options] DESCRIPTION
The Search for Files application enables you to search for files on your system. Search for Files uses the find(1) command. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: --allmounts Select the 'Search other filesystems' search constraint. --autostart Automatically start a search. --contains=strinSelect the 'Contains the text' search constraint and set the text of that entry. Use a full filename or a partial filename with wildcards. See find(1) for more details about using wildcards. --descending Set sort order to descending. The default sort order is ascending. --empty Select the 'File is empty' search constraint. --follow Select the 'Follow symbolic links' search constraint. --group=group Select the 'Owned by group' search constraint and set the text of that entry. --mtimeless=dateSelect the 'Date modified before (days)' search constraint and set the text of that entry. --mtimemore=dateSelect the 'Date modified after (days)' search constraint and set the text of that entry. --name=filename Set the text of the 'File is named' entry. Use a full filename or a partial filename with wildcards. See find(1) for more details about using wildcards. --notnamed=filenSelect the 'File is not named' search constraint and set the text of that entry. Use a full filename or a partial filename with wildcards. See find(1) for more details about using wildcards. --nouser Select the 'Owner is unrecognized' search constraint. --path=folder Set the text of the 'Look in folder' entry. Defaults to the current working directory. --regex=pattern Select the 'File matches regular expression' search constraint and set the text of that entry. See find(1) for more details about the regular expression patterns that can be used. --sizeless=size Select the 'Size is less than (kilobytes)' search constraint and set the text of that entry. --sizemore=size Select the 'Size is more than (kilobytes)' search constraint and set the text of that entry. --sortby=order Sort files by one of the following: name, folder, size, type, or date. --user=user Select the 'Owned by user' search constraint and set the text of that entry. gnome-std-optionStandard options available for use with most GNOME applications. See gnome-std-options(5) for more information. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Performing a basic search automatically example% gnome-search-tool --name=a.out --path=$HOME --autostart Example 2: Performing an advanced search automatically example% gnome-search-tool --contains=unistd.h --mtimeless=3 --sortby=size --autostart EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Application exited successfully >0 Application exited with failure FILES
The following files are used by this application: /usr/bin/gnome-search-toExecutable for Search for Files ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWgnome-search-tool | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface stability |External | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
Search for Files Manual Latest version of the GNOME Desktop User Guide for your platform. find(1), gnome-std-options(5) NOTES
Written by Glynn Foster, Sun Microsystems Inc., 2003. SunOS 5.10 2 Oct 2003 gnome-search-tool(1)