Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX CHFS running clean but FileSize not changing Post 302957335 by MichaelFelt on Friday 9th of October 2015 08:58:52 AM
Old 10-09-2015
When I first starting reading I read over your literal question - the filesystem stats are not changing.

A bit of analysis.

The lsvg output says each PP (physical partition) is 256M (byte) - so 4 of these would be 1 GByte - and 40 would be the 10GByte that du is reporting.

Since 482 are already allocated - chfs simply does the expansion in place - so the lsvg/lslv output should not be changing.

At this point, as pointed out earlier that you have 482 PP in one listing, and 483 PP in another - whoever is running these commands (for you) is not giving you data "as it happens" - short form - I see too many "mistakes" in the data to provide a reply "to the data presented to us".

More analysis and guessing:

Quote:
sapep101dr(root):/home/root>chfs -a size=+512M /oracle/EP1/sapdata1
Filesystem size changed to 253231104
chfs looks at the data in /etc/filesystems (aka LVCB/VG info) and updates that. If another filesystem is mounted over that mount point then df will tell what is mounted over that mount point.

Getting back to the data above - the 2532231104 is in 512 byte blocks. That is roughly 120.75 GByte - and if we multiple 120.75 * 4 (i.e. 4PP per GByte we get 483 PP)

My guess is that chfs is working as it should, but something else is mounted over /oracle/EP1/sapdata1

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

filesize

I know in php if you use the function filesize it will return the size of the file in bytes, but is there an easy way to get the size in MB. Cheers (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jmg5
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

FileSize ???

How do I identify if there is any content in a file? If there is nothing in a specified file, I'd like to send an email indicating that there is nothing to report. Any help appreciated. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cameron
3 Replies

3. AIX

chfs increase /var limit at 512mb?

Is there a limit of 512Mb when doing a "chfs -a size=XXXXX /myfs" ? I managed to increase /var to 512MB fine, no issues, then i wanted to increase /usr to 2Gb, but when i enter: # chfs -a size=2260992 /usr chfs: 0506-908 Cannot reduce size... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: craigp84
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX and filesize

Hey guys. What I need to do is this: I need to find files that have a certain filesize (for this case a file size of 0 (zero) ) When I find this file with a filesize of zero I need to echo a statement that tells the user to delete it and not to delete it if the filesize is greater than... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ndoggy020
3 Replies

5. AIX

chfs -- permission denied

nevermind .. please close. tired admin in the morning ) edit by bakunin: your wish shall be my command... ;-)) -closed- (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: tenshi
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

filesize

I want to know if there is any unix command to view the size of the file? eg. i have a directory letter in this i have file a,b,c,d,e. i just want to know the size of file d and not any other. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: infyanurag
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

getting filesize

Hello, I have a script that should store file size in a variable $filesize. I don't know what is the best way to do it. I tried ls -lt myfile.txt | sed something >$filesize but I don't know how to use sed to get filesize. I know that the owner of the file is root and then we have some... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: pppswing
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Filesize not working

I am having problems with finding the filesize with this in my script: filesize=`ls -l | awk '$5=0'` if ; then ls -l | awk '{print $9 " " $5}' if ; then echo "Would you like to delete this file? (y/n)" if yes do this elif no do this fi fi else... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: akeenabawa
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

if condition for filesize

Hi, I want to check file size in unix, based on file size I am going to execute appropriate command. I tried below, but getting the error. System details – Machine hardware: sun4u OS version: 5.9 if ( -s $f1 ) then echo "filename exists and is > 0 bytes" else echo "filename... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: rahulbahulekar
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Changing information supplied when running file

In unix systems I can call `file` to return me the file type. file cel.vik $ cel.vik: ASCII text How can I append additional information when I create a file such that when I call `file` it returns me that additional information. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
2 Replies
VGIMPORTCLONE(8)					      System Manager's Manual						  VGIMPORTCLONE(8)

NAME
vgimportclone - import and rename duplicated volume group (e.g. a hardware snapshot) SYNOPSIS
vgimportclone [-n|--basevgname VolumeGroupName] [-i|--import] PhysicalVolume [PhysicalVolume...] DESCRIPTION
vgimportclone is used to import a duplicated VG (e.g. hardware snapshot). Duplicate VG(s) and PV(s) are not able to be used until they are made to coexist with the origin VG(s) and PV(s). vgimportclone renames the VG associated with the specified PV(s) and changes the associ- ated VG and PV UUIDs. OPTIONS
See lvm for common options. -n|--basevgname VolumeGroupName By default the snapshot VG will be renamed to the original name plus a numeric suffix to avoid duplicate naming (e.g. 'test_vg' would be renamed to 'test_vg1'). This option will override the base VG name that is used for all VG renames. If a VG already exists with the specified name a numeric suffix will be added (like the previous example) to make it unique. -i|--import Import exported Volume Groups. Otherwise VGs that have been exported will not be changed (nor will their associated PVs). ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
LVM_BINARY The LVM2 binary to use. Defaults to "lvm". EXAMPLES
The origin VG vg00 has origin PVs /dev/sda and /dev/sdb and the respective snapshot PVs are /dev/sdc and /dev/sdd. To rename the VG asso- ciated with /dev/sdc and /dev/sdd from vg00 to vg00_snap (and to change associated VG and PV UUIDs) do: vgimportclone --basevgname vg00_snap /dev/sdc /dev/sdd SEE ALSO
lvm(8) Red Hat, Inc. LVM TOOLS 2.02.95(2) (2012-03-06) VGIMPORTCLONE(8)