Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: I/O error Err#5 EIO
Operating Systems Solaris I/O error Err#5 EIO Post 302957015 by jim mcnamara on Tuesday 6th of October 2015 07:58:11 AM
Old 10-06-2015
I think jlliagre was being kind. Disks have what is called an MTBF - which is sort of an expected operating lifetime in operating hours, or uptime. Consider that your disk may be 'fixed' in the very short term by fsck.

But the disk will continue on its path to complete degradation. Your other disks may also have issues.

We had an old SPARC box - and several replacement disks on hand for this very reason. If you do not have support getting older disk hardware becomes really problematic. We have actually bought parts on Ebay. Our benighted management finally got the message - we now have support: full support.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tar write err

This isn't causing me a problem, but it is puzzling (& slightly worrying) me. If I use tar to copy to a tape & the tape is write protected, I only get the message 'tar: tape write err' if there are a few files to copy. eg. # tar cvf /dev/rStp4 /usr/data will produce the messages ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kevin Pryke
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Err while using find command

hi frnds, I have written a script as follows. ssh username@servername "find $1 -type f -name $2 -mtime +1 -exec rm '{}' \;" when i excute tis script i get error FIND: Parameter format not correct parameter 2 is the file name .. . Thx in advance (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vikramsnest
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

sccs get -ek command is throwing err

Hi, get -ek s.Communicator.java The difference between the current date and the creation date of the newest delta in the SCCS file is greater than 1 year. Make sure that the system date is set correctly. This message is only a warning. (co11) 14.3 ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shivaprasad BS
0 Replies

4. AIX

Can I display err log again after run errclear

After run errclear, it will clean the err log file. After that, if I still need display the log has been cleared by errclear, how can I do? thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rainbow_bean
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting err with 'awk' command

Hi All, I am trying to run the below cmd thro' a script. awk 'NR>=48&&NR<=(58-1)' $IN_FILE_NAME | tee $OUT_FILE_NAME but I am getting an err while running the script. It gives the below err msg : awk: syntax error near line 1 awk: bailing out near line 1 (P.S Note: When run the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: askumarece
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Syntax err near unexpected token...

I've been looking at this code too long. Maybe a fresh set of eyes can spot the: "syntax error near unexpected token `(' ./phmenu ` tput cup 18 4: echo "Accept? (y) es or (n)o: " This is the line in the code: tput cup 18 4; echo "Accept? (y)es or (n)o: " Thanks In Advance... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ccccc
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Phrasing err ssh...

hi.... below cmd (to get current hour - 1) works in localhost...whereas to get the same value in remote host..no result.. looks some pharsing error...can someone help? $ date Monday, 3 May 2010 09:15:46 GMT $ perl -e 'print "" . localtime(time()-$ARGV) . "\n";' 3600 Mon May 3 08:15:57... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: id100
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ksh script: std Out/err

Hello gurus, this is part of my script: ls -1 ${MyFile} >> ${dir_log}ListFile${Now}.tmp FILENUM=`cat ${dir_log}ListFile${Now}.tmp| wc -l | awk '{print $1}'`>> /dev/null if then writeError "ERRORE: no file in directory for type ${FileName}!" >> ${LogFileName} Close 1 fi... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: GERMANICO
7 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Getting Perl err.msg when I login?

Hi, When I login to system. root or any of the user, I get Perl error message. Please advise.... When I login as a user.... I get this err.msg. Terminal type is vt100 You have new mail. bash: /usr/local/bin/perl: cannot execute binary file when I login as root. Terminal type... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: samnyc
2 Replies

10. Ubuntu

Ubuntu getting frozen with '{ DRDY ERR }' error

Hi, I am using Ubuntu LTS 12.04. For last few weeks it is getting frozen on INIT 5 and and I can see follwoing logs in single user mode. Have any body any clue for the following: Feb 3 09:14:07 CB11WS1 kernel: ata1.00: status: { DRDY ERR } Feb 3 09:14:07 CB11WS1 kernel: ata1.00:... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: nixhead
0 Replies
VND(4)							   BSD Kernel Interfaces Manual 						    VND(4)

NAME
vnd -- vnode disk driver SYNOPSIS
pseudo-device vnd options VND_COMPRESSION DESCRIPTION
The vnd driver provides a disk-like interface to a file. This is useful for a variety of applications, including swap files and building miniroot or floppy disk images. This document assumes that you're familiar with how to generate kernels, how to properly configure disks and pseudo-devices in a kernel con- figuration file. In order to compile in support for the vnd, you must add a line similar to the following to your kernel configuration file: pseudo-device vnd # vnode disk driver To also compile in support for reading compressed disk images, add the following option to your kernel config file: options VND_COMPRESSION # compressed vnd(4) Compressed disk images are expected in the cloop2 format, they can be created from "normal" disk images by the vndcompress(1) program. There is a run-time utility that is used for configuring both compressed and uncompressed vnds. See vnconfig(8) for more information. FILES
/dev/{,r}vnd* vnd device special files. SEE ALSO
config(1), vndcompress(1), MAKEDEV(8), fsck(8), mount(8), newfs(8), vnconfig(8) HISTORY
The vnode disk driver was originally written at the University of Utah. The compression handling is based on code by Cliff Wright <cliff@snipe444.org>. BUGS
The vnd driver does not work if the file does not reside in a local filesystem. The vnd driver does not work if the file is sparse. BSD
December 18, 2009 BSD