Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat Double data type C Red Hat platform problem Post 302956915 by jim mcnamara on Monday 5th of October 2015 09:26:32 AM
Old 10-05-2015
I'm guessing, but I think one problem is Endianness. The byte order of the 8 bytes copies into the double variable is inverted. Also note you have more than one thing going on here. It looks like you may have compiled K&R code.

1. you are messing with the order of the bytes
2. memcpy may not be filling the destination double variable with everything it need in the right places.

Either one of these is called 'undefined behavior'. Undefined behavior means the compiled has no idea what to do with the garbage in the variable. You have to have incurred some kind of exception.

Also note: HPUX uses an ancient version (K&R) C compiler by default which may be why it 'works' there - probably some odd library rather than FP opcodes. Red Hat uses x86 architecture - it has FP operations on FP registers, not a library.

Last edited by jim mcnamara; 10-05-2015 at 10:51 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problem Downloading Red Hat

I've been having problems downloading Red Hat 7.2 from their FTP site. It downloads rather slowly(between 2-3k/sec, I'm on broadband) and after about 10 minutes stops downloading altogether. Am I doing something wrong? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tradewynd
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Please Help Me With This Linux Red Hat 7.2 Modem Problem

I cant get my modem to work. Linux just isn't recognizing it. every time I typed wvdial, i get a message saying my modem is not responding I tried looking for drivers at the website Neo directed me to but I just couldn't find the right one from the information I was given about my modem... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: TRUEST
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Linux Red Hat 7.2 Problem

how come red hat doesn't have this programs which was already supposed to be on it?? take for instance, I was reading this Linux book that says for me to do some work in glint X11 client for packagement. it says glint is accessible from the command line or control panel. the problem is, I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: TRUEST
4 Replies

4. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Red Hat loading problem

when i try to load Redhat 7.2 the screen gets all mished together as if it were a meltdown the book says its a prob with X but it dosnt really say what to do WINMe works fine i have a radeon 64 MB card 1 gig processor and 2 HDs on a Dell 1 GHZ how do i fix this ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ASpin
1 Replies

5. Linux

Red Hat RPM problem

I have my system setup different then the conventional setup: # df -h Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on /dev/hdc2 2.0G 977M 936M 52% / /dev/hdc1 97M 9.0M 83M 10% /boot none 251M 0 251M 0% /dev/shm So when I try... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jasonr
2 Replies

6. Linux

Installation Problem on Red hat linux 9

Hi, I am trying to install our new acquired Red Hat linux 9 on Compaq Proliant ML370. However, l has already configured the raid 0+1. The linux installation starts from the CD, its allows for the selection of Language, keyboard but l am stocked at choosing the installation package media. I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kayode
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problem Red Hat 9 Installation

I have a problem with a red hat 9 install on a compaq laptop. I installed the OS and everything tests ok but It boots to a blank screen instead of the GUI login I wanted. What can I do to correct this instead of installing all over. I tried the rescue option several times and tried to run... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vedder191
2 Replies

8. Red Hat

Clustering Red Hat Enterprise linux Advanced Platform 5.2 (x86-64 bit)

Hello Professionals, We have high-end HP rack servers. We need to provide application fail-over for business continuity. We have done benchmarking of the application on RHEL 5.2 on HP servers to estimate the hardware requirement so as to meet next 3-5 years business growth. Presently we... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kgayyar
1 Replies

9. Infrastructure Monitoring

Problem Installing Cacti on Red Hat

Can someone please point me in the direction of where I can find out how to install cacti? there doesn't seem to be straightforward steps for it. after downloading the tar.gz file from cacti.net, there's basically no instructions of what to do from that point on. any help will be appreciated. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
1 Replies

10. Fedora

Which is the better platform to learn UNIX/Linux (Kali Linux Vs. Red Hat or other)?

I just started a new semester and I started my UNIX class yesterday. I've already decided to use python along with my learning process but what I really want to use with it is Kali as my UNIX/Linux platform to learn off of since I already wanted to learn Cyber Sec. anyways. I just wanted to know if... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: ApacheOmega
12 Replies
RHN_CHECK(8)							  Red Hat Network						      RHN_CHECK(8)

NAME
rhn_check - check for queued actions on RHN and execute them SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/rhn_check [-v] [--verbose] DESCRIPTION
rhn_check is a client program that connects to the Red Hat Network backend servers and retrieves information associated with the queued actions for this particular system. This script reads the digital server ID from /etc/sysconfig/rhn/systemid and uses that to identify the machine to the Red Hat Network. Upon successfull authentication, rhn_check will start processing the queued actions sequentially. ACTION TYPES
The following types of actions are currently processed by rhn_check: action type description () () refresh This action will refresh the hardware or software profiles of this machine with Red Hat Network. This fucntion is called as refresh(hardware) or refresh(rpmlist) new_systemid This action is used by the RHn Backend to update the Digital system ID of this machine with a new one. update_packages This action will trigger rhn_check into running a package update for a list of packages queued from the Red Hat Network. rhn_check will use modules from the up2date client to download the packages, solve dependencies and install the on the system. FILES
/etc/sysconfig/rhn/systemid The digital server ID for this machine if the system has been registered onto Red Hat Network. This file does not exist otherwise. /var/spool/up2date This directory is used by up2date to store package headers and RPM packages downloaded from Red Hat Network SEE ALSO
man pages for up2date(8) and rhnsd(8). AUTHORS
Cristian Gafton <gafton@redhat.com> Preston Brown <pbrown@redhat.com> ()