Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Gunzip,grep and zip across folders in a subdirectory Post 302956837 by Don Cragun on Sunday 4th of October 2015 03:40:55 PM
Old 10-04-2015
Are there always exactly 36 gzipped files in each of your three subdirectories?

Are the names of those 36 files in each of those three subdirectories always identical?

Is it important that lines containing each of the 5 patterns you are grepping from those files be grouped together, or is it OK to put data in the output file in the order in which those lines appear in the input files? If the order matters, is the output from the three different input files also required to be segregated, or can each input file be processed completely before processing the next input file?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

zip nesting empty folders

I'm using the following command to zip a project file, but when it finishes, the resulting zip file contains all the directories above the file I wanted zipped, myapp.app, each one empty until you get to the actual app. zip -r myapp.app.zip ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: groundlevel
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Zip a folder including its sub-folders.

Hi, I have a folder that contains a few sub-folders. I would like to zip that folder and KEEP the subfolders. What it does at the moment is taking all the files within the subfolders and zipping them into one big file (zip -r ...). Does anyone know the UNIX command to keep the subfolders in the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gdog
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using gunzip to decompress .zip file

Hi, I have a zipped Oralce software (linux.x64_11gR1_database.zip) and I need to unzip it. On the Linux server, I only see the gunzip utility listed: $ ls -ltr *zip* -rwxr-xr-x 3 root root 60320 Jan 15 2008 gzip -rwxr-xr-x 3 root root 60320 Jan 15 2008 gunzip Can I use the command... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: syang68
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirect grep output to dynamique fileName and subdirectory

Hi all i'm new in KSH, i want to write a script to grep a logs files and redirecting the result into a relative subdirectory/file.txt that must be created near to each log file my begin script is : find ./logs -type f -name "*.log" -exec grep error {} \; how i can perform that modest... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: rambler
10 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with auto-detect new files/folders then zip and move script

Hello, I need a simple script to Auto-detect new files and folders in the directory. And then I need to zip the new files and bzip2 new folders and move them out of that folder where I am detecting changes to the other folder. Remember, I need simple one. If anyone could do it fast, I may... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: juzt1s
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copy Folders and ZIP IT

HI All I have one master folder : ABCXYZ I have sub folder in there : AB XY AZ AC PR AL Now i want to copy AB , PR ,AL in to one new folder and zip it with time stamp. like Pre_02192013_12_32.zip Zip folder should be in master folder. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pareshkp
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to auto zip all folders?

Hi, How do I write a script that will automatically find and zip any folder to the same name in a directory and affected recursively?. The zip file should be place in the same directory where the source folder is. Help is appreciated. Thanks in advance. ex: Orange Crayon Blue Crayon... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Frozen77
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What is the difference between zip and gunzip?

what is the difference between zip and gunzip this is interview question (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pspriyanka
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search for specific file type in subdirectory with multiple folders

I have a directory that is in the below order (the --- is not part of the directory tree, only there to help illustrate: DATE --- main level Folder1 --- level under DATE plugin_out --- level under Folder1 variantCaller_out.40 --- level under plugin_out 001,002,003 --- level under... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Tar.gz/zip folders in a directory with _EBASE string

Hi Folks - Happy Friday and I hope you all are well! What's the easiest way to tar.gz / zip all direct children directories in a folder that have the string _EBASE (suffix)? Thank you! (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: SIMMS7400
6 Replies
bdiff(1)						      General Commands Manual							  bdiff(1)

NAME
bdiff - diff for large files SYNOPSIS
file1 file2 [n] DESCRIPTION
compares two files and produces output identical to what would be produced by (see diff(1)), specifying changes that must be made to make the files identical. is designed for handling files that are too large for but it can be used on files of any length. processes files as follows: o Ignore lines common to the beginning of both files. o Split the remainder of each file into n-line segments, then execute on corresponding segments. The default value of n is 3500. Command-Line Arguments recognizes the following command-line arguments: file1 file2 Names of two files to be compared by If file1 or file2 (but not both) is standard input is used instead. n If a numeric value is present as the third argument, the files are divided into n-line segments before processing by Default value for n is 3500. This option is useful when 3500-line segments are too large for processing by Silent option suppresses diagnostic printing by but does not suppress possible error messages from If the n and arguments are both used, the n argument must precede the option on the command line or it will not be properly recognized. EXTERNAL INFLUENCES
Environment Variables determines the language in which messages are displayed. If is not specified in the environment or is set to the empty string, the value of is used as a default for each unspecified or empty vari- able. If is not specified or is set to the empty string, a default of "C" (see lang(5)) is used instead of If any internationalization variable contains an invalid setting, behaves as if all internationalization variables are set to "C". See environ(5). International Code Set Support Single- and multi-byte character code sets are supported. DIAGNOSTICS
Standard input was specified for both files. Only one file can be specified as standard input. A non-numeric value was specified for the n (third) argument. EXAMPLES
Find differences between two large files: and and place the result in a new file named Do the same, but limit file length to 1400 lines; suppress error messages: WARNINGS
produces output identical to output from and makes the necessary line-number corrections so that the output looks like it was processed by However, depending on where the files are split, may or may not find a fully minimized set of file differences. FILES
SEE ALSO
diff(1). bdiff(1)