Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Difference between non promiscous and promiscous modes in packet sniffing? Post 302956798 by RudiC on Sunday 4th of October 2015 05:11:45 AM
Old 10-04-2015
Yes. As far as there are any packets destined for other machines, because today's switches try hard to isolate single branches of the network:
Quote:
Unlike less advanced network hubs, a network switch forwards data only to one or multiple devices that need to receive it, rather than broadcasting the same data out of each of its ports.
(c.f. http://www.digplanet.com/wiki/Network_switch)
This User Gave Thanks to RudiC For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

Sniffing an established port

Hi All, On a solaris box A port B in which port B is established and receiving data. My question is how do i listen on that established port , how can i get the data received at box A: port B through my application I had searched the forum for the same, but i am unable to retrieve the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: matrixmadhan
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

linux communications modes

what r the ways in which a linux application communicate with an external system like linux or windows? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shil
1 Replies

3. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

different modes?

What are the Guided and Enhanced Modes? This is something new right? Or have I been the most unobservant guy on the face of this planet? At first I thought it was something for Gollum the forumbot, but its there everytime you start a new thread. What is the difference between the two? And how do... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: blowtorch
1 Replies

4. Programming

Pcap.h Sniffing

Can someone please help me figure out how to use pcap.h to sniff packets between only 2 computers whose mac addresses are know? Thanks (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: papabearcares
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pcap.h Sniffing

Can someone please help me figure out how to use pcap.h to sniff packets between only 2 computers whose mac addresses are know? Thanks (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: papabearcares
0 Replies

6. What is on Your Mind?

Wired keyboard sniffing

Are we safe using the everyday wired keyboard? Although this concept is old, I had never seen an actual implementation on the matter until a few days ago. (Four ways of sniffing the electromagnetic emanations of wired keyboards currently on the market in up to 20 meters.) Check the videos at:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: redoubtable
2 Replies

7. Programming

Memory sniffing in linux

I am trying to create an application that will be able to sniff memory of other applications. I am not completely new to systems programming but I am not sure how to go about this task. I understand that accomplishing this mainly require these steps. 1: Get a list of processes 2: Find the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mosey
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Access Modes

What access modes (permissions) are given to new files you create? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: naasei
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

vim Script: Switching between modes

Hi All, I've been using vi for about 10 years, but this is my first attempt at creating a vi script. I am reformatting some files to create CSVs for import into a database. In the script, I have a bunch of substitute lines that work fine, but I'm trying to figure out how to get the script into... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dkr
3 Replies

10. AIX

Packet loss coming with big packet size ping

(5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vishal_dba
5 Replies
URI::URL(3)						User Contributed Perl Documentation					       URI::URL(3)

NAME
URI::URL - Uniform Resource Locators SYNOPSIS
$u1 = URI::URL->new($str, $base); $u2 = $u1->abs; DESCRIPTION
This module is provided for backwards compatibility with modules that depend on the interface provided by the "URI::URL" class that used to be distributed with the libwww-perl library. The following differences compared to the "URI" class interface exist: o The URI::URL module exports the url() function as an alternate constructor interface. o The constructor takes an optional $base argument. The "URI::URL" class is a subclasses of "URI::WithBase". o The URI::URL->newlocal class method is the same as URI::file->new_abs o URI::URL::strict(1) o $url->print_on method o $url->crack method o $url->full_path; same as ($uri->abs_path || "/") o $url->netloc; same as $uri->authority o $url->epath, $url->equery; same as $uri->path, $uri->query o $url->path and $url->query pass unescaped strings. o $url->path_components; same as $uri->path_segments (if you don't consider path segment parameters). o $url->params and $url->eparams methods. o $url->base method. See URI::WithBase. o $url->abs and $url->rel have an optional $base argument. See URI::WithBase. o $url->frag; same as $uri->fragment o $url->keywords; same as $uri->query_keywords; o $url->localpath with friends map to $uri->file o $url->address and $url->encoded822addr; same as $uri->to for mailto URI. o $url->groupart method for news URI. o $url->article; same as $uri->message SEE ALSO
URI, URI::WithBase COPYRIGHT
Copyright 1998-2000 Gisle Aas. perl v5.8.0 2002-05-09 URI::URL(3)