Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Change directory for core file Post 302956685 by Don Cragun on Friday 2nd of October 2015 03:52:10 AM
Old 10-02-2015
On Solaris systems, check the section 1M coreadm man page (man 1M coreadm). On Linux systems, check the section 5 core (man 5 core) and proc (man 5 proc) man pages.

In either case, the default location for a core file is the current working directory of the process at the time that it is dumping core (which might or might not be the directory in which the process started running).
This User Gave Thanks to Don Cragun For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How do I change security on a file or directory?

What command(s) do I use to change the security on a file? I need to change the owner as well as read write end execute options. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ekkehard
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Delete Core file in root directory

HP UX 11i Ok my server is about to run out of space, and i would like to know if there is something that i should be doing on a regular basis to maintain the machine like logs that i should clear or dmp file that i should delete... Thanks in Advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bbutler3295
2 Replies

3. AIX

core file default directory

Is there a setting anywhere to set the default directory for core files rather than creating in /home ?, and I believe there is an option to have named core files e.g core.login.2905, again does anyone know the setting. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: gefa
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Change All File Names in a Directory

Hi, If I have a directory full of say 100 random files, and I would like to organize them, for example: FILE001, FILE002, FILE003, FILE004, etc. How would I do this from Terminal, instead of manually changing each file? I'm using Mac OS X, if that makes a difference. Thank you in advance... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: andou
8 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Change Directory

I have a directory that is existing under my root dir of the FTP server. The DIR name is 'Software Patch'. I want to move in to that DIR to download some patches. But, when I issued a command 'cd SOftware Patch', the system said that it cannot find the dir 'Software'. I tried all possible ways like... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vskr72
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can we change the permissions of a file in a directory

Hi All, I am trying to wite a Shell script which changes the permission of the files in a folder but stuck at a particular point,please help. The scenario is as follwoing: I am having a list of 10 files and a folder which has 100 files. I need to copare the list and the folder ,for... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sriram.Vedula53
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to change database directory to another directory?

Hi, I Installed mysql on my CentOS 6.2 Server. But when I tried to change the location of /var/lib/mysql to another directory. I can't start the mysql. Below is what I've done yum install mysql mysql-server mysql-devel mkdir /path/to/new/ cp -R /var/lib/mysql /path/to/new chown -R... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ganitolngyundre
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change to directory and search some file in that directory in single command

I am trying to do the following task : export ENV=aaa export ENV_PATH=$(cd /apps | ls | grep $ENV) However, it's not working. What's the way to change to directory and search some file in that directory in single command Please help. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: saurau
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change Directory

Hi All, There is a code like below in my script ############################################### ###Create Directories and Sub-Directories ############################################### dpdir=DP_FROM_${from}_TO_${to} mkdir $dpdir cd $dpdir mkdir AWQM WFCONTROLLER PROVCO PRISM ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pvmanikandan
1 Replies
CORE(5) 						      BSD File Formats Manual							   CORE(5)

NAME
core -- memory image file format SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/param.h> DESCRIPTION
A small number of signals which cause abnormal termination of a process also cause a record of the process's in-core state to be written to disk for later examination by one of the available debuggers. (See sigaction(2).) This memory image is written to a file named by default core.pid, where pid is the process ID of the process, in the /cores directory, provided the terminated process had write permission in the directory, and the directory existed. The maximum size of a core file is limited by setrlimit(2). Files which would be larger than the limit are not created. The core file consists of the Mach-O(5) header as described in the <mach-o/loader.h> file. The remainder of the core file consists of vari- ous sections described in the Mach-O(5) header. NOTE
Core dumps are disabled by default under Darwin/Mac OS X. To re-enable core dumps, a privileged user must do one of the following * Edit /etc/launchd.conf or $HOME/.launchd.conf and add a line specifying the limit limit core unlimited * A privileged user can also enable cores with launchctl limit core unlimited * A privileged user can also enable core files by using ulimit(1) or limit(1) depending upon the shell. SEE ALSO
gdb(1), setrlimit(2), sigaction(2), Mach-O(5), launchd.conf(5), launchd.plist(5), sysctl(8) HISTORY
A core file format appeared in Version 6 AT&T UNIX. BSD
June 26, 2008 BSD