Sponsored Content
Operating Systems SCO Backup/RAID of HD on Old UNIX Server Post 302956553 by zaxxon on Thursday 1st of October 2015 03:40:23 AM
Old 10-01-2015
I am not familiar with SCO, but the command in the crontab will "just" copy the files and directories to the device /dev/rct0, which is most probably your attached tape drive.
This type of backup is not bootable. It misses the boot sector, filesystem structure etc. which is needed, to have bootable backup. It will have your business data in there though.

You could do a copy of the disk with the command dd which will create a file of 9GB, as larges as your disk is, because it copies all bits of your disk. It could be restored with using a bootable medium that gives you a shell from where you can issue dd again, to restore the backup.
The hardware sounds x96 compatible so you could for example try Knoppix (KNOPPIX - Live Linux Filesystem On CD) which is a free Linux bootable system with desktop etc. to issue restore.

Here is some guy that tried something similar:
SCO 6. Backup & Restore from USB

Maybe it is an option to get a modern x386 PC or server hardware, install a later version of SCO Unix and migrate your application overthere. It could be it is possible by simple copying it's needed files over to the new installed machine. Though I saw the latest release of SCO is 2009 Smilie OpenServer X seems to be the continued SCO Unix but I have no clue how compatible to each other.

Last edited by zaxxon; 10-01-2015 at 05:50 AM..
This User Gave Thanks to zaxxon For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

2-Ch RAID Problem in SCO Open Server

Help, if possible. In SCO Open Server with installation of two-channel RAID controller the following happens: on the channel 0 disk array is seen by an operational system, and on the channel 1 array is not seen (simultaneously). That is the operational system can not simultaneously use more than... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pko60
1 Replies

2. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Adding RAID to server

Hi, I have a server that I am adding a RAID that we purchased to. The server works fine. It is running Fedora 7 and is a Dell Precision 690. When the RAID is attached, it boots up and says the following: Controller Bus #00, Device#1F, Function#02: 00 Ports No device found AHCI BIOS not... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: user23
0 Replies

3. Red Hat

linux server with raid controller card

I am planning on building a fedora box with raid controller (database server). Is anybody done that ? also what kind of software do you need to backup and recover data. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: amir07
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

efficient raid file server

I need to put together a RAID1 file server for use by Windoze systems. I've built zillions of windows systems from components. I was a HPUX SE for a long time at HP, but have been out of the game for years. I've got an old workhorse mobo FIC PA-2013 with a 450 MHz K6 III+ I could use, but I'd... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pcmacd
2 Replies

5. Hardware

Hardware RAID on Sun T2000 Server

Hi All I have a Sun T2000 server. Couple of years ago I had configured and mirrored the boot drive with an other drive using hardware RAID 1 using raidctl command. Following is the hardware RAID output. root@oracledatabaseserver / $ raidctl RAID Volume RAID RAID Disk... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tirmazi
0 Replies

6. Hardware

Raid 0 on database server

Hi guys. if we want to use SSD drives on a database server, can we use RAID 0 configuration because of their reliability? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: majid.merkava
3 Replies

7. Linux

Help Setting up Linux Raid Server

I just built a home computer with 3TB hard drives I wanted to set up in a RAID 5 and load Ubuntu server onto it. The first thing I did was set up the drives in a RAID 5 using just the motherboard chipset software to do it, so a 'hardware' RAID basically. I installed Windows first to see if... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lorewap3
2 Replies

8. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Help finding a Unix friendly RAID 1 backup

First time poster and a very new Unix user, so I'll just pre-apologize for stupid questions now. Does anybody know of a good RAID 1 hard drive backup that is Unix friendly? I want to avoid any hardcore programming. Can you recommend both NAS and non-NAS options? I need to do nightly backups... (31 Replies)
Discussion started by: c.wakeman
31 Replies

9. Hardware

3ware RAID server

We have a 3ware RAID server at work, and as the appointed systems administrator (by virtue of being the one with the most knowledge) I've taken on the job of maintaining it. I've installed smartmontools on it to keep an eye on the drives and run scans every day, and looking at the data from the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Krendoshazin
0 Replies
btextract(8)						      System Manager's Manual						      btextract(8)

NAME
btextract - Extracts the file systems from tape in single-user mode in memory SYNOPSIS
/usr/sys/bin/btextract DESCRIPTION
The btextract utility is a shell script that restores file systems from tapes that contain the bootable Standalone System (SAS) kernel. The SAS kernel is created using the btcreate utility. You can perform a DEFAULT restore or an ADVANCED restore operation. A DEFAULT restore is used by system administrators who want to duplicate the customized system on more than one machine of the same hard- ware platform type. When you perform a DEFAULT restore, you cannot specify which disk partitions to use for the restore operation. Instead, the btextract utility restores file systems using the disk partition information gathered during the btcreate session; all exist- ing information is overwritten. Note To perform a DEFAULT restore, the disk configuration of the system you backed up must be the same as the system you are restoring. During an ADVANCED restore, you are prompted to enter the name of the disk partition where the file systems are to be restored. Note During an ADVANCED restore, the btextract utility assigns the b partition of the root disk as the swap partition. A file system which is more than 100% full cannot be restored in a partition of the same size as the original partition. During the restore of the UFS file system, the /sbin/restore command adds a new file named restoresymtable. The presence of this restoresymtable file can make the restored file system larger than the source partition size listed in the /sbin/disklabel output. For example, on the source system, the disklabel shows the target h partition to be: h: 86758 1212416 4.2BSD And the ufs file system is as follows: Filesystem 512-blocks Used Available Capacity Mounted on /dev/dsk8h 83812 83786 0 112% /bootable The file system is 112% full. This file system cannot be restored on the target file system of 86758 (512-blocks), as the following file is created by the /sbin/restore command. -rw-r--r-- 1 root system 27368 Jul 2 09:33 restoresymtable The command /sbin/restore creates a restoresymtable file that exceeds the 112% range. The solution is to use a partition of about 86996 (512-blocks), about 3.8% larger than the actual file size. USING btextract To use the btextract utility, place the system in a halt state, initialize the system, then boot from the tape as follows: >>> init >>> show dev >>> boot -fl "nc" MKA500 In the previous example, the show dev command provides the device name under BOOTDEV and MKA500 is the BOOTDEV. Once the initial boot is complete, the shell invokes the btextract utility. If you created a /usr/lib/sabt/sbin/custom_install.sh script during the btcreate session, the btextract utility invokes the custom_install.sh script before exiting. See the btcreate reference page for more information. You also have the option to label disks using your own disklabel script. If a customized disklabel script is not present, the btextract command will label the disks in the usual manner. A customized disklabel script has the following restrictions: It must be located in the /usr/lib/sabt/etc directory. It must be named custom_disklabel_file. After the btextract utility completes, you must shut down the system, then reboot the system from the restored disk as follows: # shutdown -h now >>> boot DKA100 In the previous example, DKA100 is the BOOTDEV. RETURN VALUES
Success. An error occurred. FILES
Log of the btextract process in memory Copy of the btextract process on the restored root file system Script used to customize the restored image A custom disklabel file read by btextract SEE ALSO
Commands: addvol(8), btcreate(8), df(1), disklabel(8), lmf(8), mkfdmn(8), mkfset(8), newfs(8), restore(8), sh(1), vrestore(8) btextract(8)