Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Need help in Shell Scripting
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Need help in Shell Scripting Post 302956434 by shekar777 on Wednesday 30th of September 2015 12:17:47 AM
Old 09-30-2015
Need help in Shell Scripting

Hello,

I need some help in Shell scripting which needs to change Host names on /etc/sysconfig/network file on remote hosts.

Here is the script I've written.

Code:
#!/bin/bash
# Make sure you have the correct hostname set on Servers, If you have the incorrect hostname it will get updated in conf"
hostsfile=/home/userid/hostname/servers.txt

if [[ ! -r $hostsfile ]]; then
    echo "ERROR: Cannot read hostsfile $hostsfile"
    exit 2
fi

SSH_OPTS="-q -i /home/userid/userid.pem -o PasswordAuthentication=no -o BatchMode=yes -o StrictHostKeyChecking=no -o ConnectTimeout=3"

for destination in `cat $hostsfile`; do
shortname=`echo $destination | sed 's/.sys.domain.com//g'`
echo $shortname
export shortname
ssh -tt -i $SSH_OPTS xxx@$destination '
echo "INFO: Updating /etc/sysconfig/network"
sudo perl -pi -e "s/^HOSTNAME=\"\"/HOSTNAME=\"$shortname\"/g" /etc/sysconfig/network
sudo hostname $shortname
'
done

*Where servers.txt contains FQDN of hosts.

When I try to execute this it's not exporting shortname to remote host? is there any way that shortname can export to remote host?

And also I need to add entry of IP address and Short Hostname (Not FQDN) and localhost entry in /etc/hosts file
it should looks as below.

xx.xx.xx.xx hostname localhost

Can you guys help on this, i need to execute this on at least 50 hosts.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

difference between AIX shell scripting and Unix shell scripting.

please give the difference between AIX shell scripting and Unix shell scripting. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: haroonec
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Call Shell scripting from Perl Scripting.

Hi How to call a shell scripting through a Perl scripting? Actually I need some value from Shell scripting and passes in the Perl scripting. So how can i do this? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: anupdas
2 Replies

3. What is on Your Mind?

Shell scripting vs Perl scripting

Hi all, I would like to start developping some good scripting skills. Do you think it would be best to start with shell scripting or Perl? I already got a fundation, really basics, in perl. but I am wondering what would be best to be good at first. Can you please help me determine which one to... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pouchie1
14 Replies

4. Android

Android Scripting Environment: Shell Scripting and Android

I just upgraded to Android 2.2 from 2.1. The GPS issue that was troublesome in 2.1 seems to have been fixed. Some of web browsing seems faster, but it could just be my connection is better today ;) Flash works in some browsers but not very good and it is too slow for Flash apps designed for... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
0 Replies

5. What is on Your Mind?

Shell Scripting vs Perl scripting

Gents, I have been working in a Solaris/Unix environment for about 9 months. I took some linux classses online before getting the job. But, I am not very good at scripting. I want to learn how to script. Do you think that I should start with Shell scripting or Perl? I wanted to continue with... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pouchie1
2 Replies

6. Web Development

Perl scripting or shell scripting?

i am going to study any one of the scripting languages mentioned above(shell 0r perl scripting) . Which is having more scope for a fresher? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Anna Hussie
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Shell Scripting

Hey I have a data in the file named as outputFile.txt. The data is in the format 123456,12345678912345,400,09/09/09,INACTIVE. I want this output without commas ie 12345612345678912345400090909INACTIVE. Please tell me what to do and clear explain all the terms, as I am new to it. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sampandey31
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell scripting

Hi, if in a network there are lots of PCs connected with either windows or linux as operating system.Then what will be the shell script for the same and also if the PC has linux in it then we have to find if it is occupied or unoccupied. If the PC has windows in it then we have to find if it is... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: akansha singh
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

help me in Shell Scripting

Hi there please have a look at the code..i want to create Using a named pipe. Run a find in the background starting in the working directory While this is happening wait for input from the user to ask him which file to find. If the user does not enter any data in 10 seconds ask the user again.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kattak1511
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Shell script to read lines in a text file and filter user data Shell Programming and Scripting

sxsaaas (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: VikrantD
3 Replies
HOSTNAME(1)						     Linux Programmer's Manual						       HOSTNAME(1)

NAME
hostname - show or set the system's host name domainname - show or set the system's NIS/YP domain name dnsdomainname - show the system's DNS domain name nodename - show or set the system's DECnet node name SYNOPSIS
hostname [-v] [-a] [--alias] [-d] [--domain] [-f] [--fqdn] [-i] [--ip-address] [--long] [-s] [--short] [-y] [-n] [--node] hostname [-v] [-F filename] [--file filename] [hostname] domainname [-v] [-F filename] [--file filename] [name] nodename [-v] [-F filename] [--file filename] [name] hostname [-v] [-h] [--help] [-V] [--version] dnsdomainname [-v] DESCRIPTION
Hostname is the program that is used to either set or display the current host, domain or node name of the system. These names are used by many of the networking programs to identify the machine. The domain name is also used by NIS/YP. GET NAME When called without any arguments, the program displays the current names: hostname will print the name of the system as returned by the gethostname(2) function. nodename will print the DECnet node name of the system as returned by the getnodename(2) function. dnsdomainname will print the domain part of the FQDN (Fully Qualified Domain Name). The complete FQDN of the system is returned with host- name --fqdn. The function gethostname(2) is used to get the hostname. Only when the hostname -s is called will gethostbyname(3) be called. The differ- ence in gethostname(2) and gethostbyname(3) is that gethostbyname(3) is network aware, so it consults /etc/nsswitch.conf and /etc/host.conf to decide whether to read information in /etc/sysconfig/network or /etc/hosts the hostname is also set when the network interface is brought up. SET NAME When called with one argument or with the --file option, the commands set the host name, the NIS/YP domain name or the node name. Note, that only the super-user can change the names. It is not possible to set the FQDN or the DNS domain name with the dnsdomainname command (see THE FQDN below). The host name is usually set once at system startup in /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1 or /etc/init.d/boot (normally by reading the contents of a file which contains the host name, e.g. /etc/hostname). THE FQDN You can't change the FQDN (as returned by hostname --fqdn) or the DNS domain name (as returned by dnsdomainname) with this command. The FQDN of the system is the name that the resolver(3) returns for the host name. Technically: The FQDN is the name gethostbyname(2) returns for the host name returned by gethostname(2). The DNS domain name is the part after the first dot. Therefore it depends on the configuration (usually in /etc/host.conf) how you can change it. Usually (if the hosts file is parsed before DNS or NIS) you can change it in /etc/hosts. OPTIONS
-a, --alias Display the alias name of the host (if used). -d, --domain Display the name of the DNS domain. Don't use the command domainname to get the DNS domain name because it will show the NIS domain name and not the DNS domain name. Use dnsdomainname instead. -F, --file filename Read the host name from the specified file. Comments (lines starting with a `#') are ignored. -f, --fqdn, --long Display the FQDN (Fully Qualified Domain Name). A FQDN consists of a short host name and the DNS domain name. Unless you are using bind or NIS for host lookups you can change the FQDN and the DNS domain name (which is part of the FQDN) in the /etc/hosts file. -h, --help Print a usage message and exit. -i, --ip-address Display the IP address(es) of the host. -n, --node Display the DECnet node name. If a parameter is given (or --file name ) the root can also set a new node name. -s, --short Display the short host name. This is the host name cut at the first dot. -V, --version Print version information on standard output and exit successfully. -v, --verbose Be verbose and tell what's going on. FILES
/etc/hosts AUTHOR
Peter Tobias, <tobias@et-inf.fho-emden.de> Bernd Eckenfels, <net-tools@lina.inka.de> (NIS and manpage). Steve Whitehouse, <SteveW@ACM.org> (DECnet support and manpage). net-tools 28 Jan 1996 HOSTNAME(1)