Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Exec and xargs mvoe file to directory Post 302956292 by saurabh84g on Monday 28th of September 2015 05:02:37 PM
Old 09-28-2015
RedHat Exec and xargs mvoe file to directory

Hello,

I am trying to move all the file listed by below command to /tmp/testing directory

Code:
find ./ -maxdepth 1 -type f -mtime +3

I tried using -exec and xargs - none of the combination is working?

Please, help

Last edited by Don Cragun; 09-28-2015 at 10:37 PM.. Reason: Get rid of COLOR and FONT tags; add CODE and ICODE tags.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Difference between xargs and exec

Hi, I have tried both the options in small dummy scripts, but somehow i can't differentiate between the two. find . -name H* -exec ls -l {} \; find . -name H* | xargs ls -l Both work the ditto way. Any help is appreciated. (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: vibhor_agarwali
19 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Xargs command outupt to file

Hello, I'm on a mac trying to have the follow cmd list the files after touch, but very unsuccessful. Please can you help. sort $BOTHFILE | uniq -u | xargs -I {} -t touch {} >> $LOGFILE ; BOTHFile contents in form of /directory/file.txt thanx (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: byblos
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

MV files with xargs or -exec

Hi I need to move multiple (say 10 files) from one location to another location. My selection would be like this... ls -ltr *.arc | head ---> Need to move top 10 files with single command without iterating in loop. I know we can move files like this with find command but not sure if I can... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: malaymaru
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

String substitution on find results inside exec/xargs

What I'm trying to do is perform a copy, well a ditto actually, on the results of a find command, but some inline string substitution needs to happen. So if I run this code find ./ -name "*.tif" I get back these results. .//1234567.tif .//abcdefg.tif Now the action from exec or xargs I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: myndcraft
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

File find | xargs grep for pattern file

Folks I've been struggling this with for far too liong now and need your help! I've been happily using grep for a search of a directory, to list the files which contain a string: find . -type f -mtime -5 -print | xargs grep -l 'invoiceID=\"12345\"' Now the list of 'invoiceID' I am... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: daveaasmith
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

echo file deleted by xargs

my command deletes the oldest file from a folder and I'd like to have some type of output when the file is selected or deleted. ls -t -1 | tail -n 1 | xargs rm I'm not sure how to incorporate echo into this. Thanks, (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: evanlivingston
2 Replies

7. Programming

difference bewteen pipe, xargs, and exec

I have read several docs on these on the web and looked at examples. I can't figure out the difference. In some cases you use one or the other or you combine them. can someone help me understand this? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: guessingo
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script Variables Inquiry, Values Okay in Standalone Exec, No-Show in Cron Exec

I have the following bash script lines in a file named test.sh. #!/bin/bash # # Write Date to cron.log # echo "Begin SSI Load $(date +%d%b%y_%T)" # # Get the latest rates file for processing. # d=$(ls -tr /rms/data/ssi | grep -v "processed" | tail -n 1) filename=$d export filename... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ginowms
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

xargs vs exec with find:

Hi All, i'm trying to create a tar of all the .txt files i find in my dir . I've used xargs to acheive this but i wanted to do this with exec and looks like it only archives the last file it finds . can some one advice what's wrong here : find . -type f -name "*.txt" -print0 | xargs -0... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Irishboy24
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Difference b/w xargs and "-exec" in Find

Hi, What is the difference between the following commands find . -type f -exec grep 'abc' {} \; and find . -type f | xargs grep 'abc' Appreciate your help. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobbygsk
2 Replies
DH_MOVEFILES(1) 						     Debhelper							   DH_MOVEFILES(1)

NAME
dh_movefiles - move files out of debian/tmp into subpackages SYNOPSIS
dh_movefiles [debhelperoptions] [--sourcedir=dir] [-Xitem] [file...] DESCRIPTION
dh_movefiles is a debhelper program that is responsible for moving files out of debian/tmp or some other directory and into other package build directories. This may be useful if your package has a Makefile that installs everything into debian/tmp, and you need to break that up into subpackages. Note: dh_install is a much better program, and you are recommended to use it instead of dh_movefiles. FILES
debian/package.files Lists the files to be moved into a package, separated by whitespace. The filenames listed should be relative to debian/tmp/. You can also list directory names, and the whole directory will be moved. OPTIONS
--sourcedir=dir Instead of moving files out of debian/tmp (the default), this option makes it move files out of some other directory. Since the entire contents of the sourcedir is moved, specifying something like --sourcedir=/ is very unsafe, so to prevent mistakes, the sourcedir must be a relative filename; it cannot begin with a `/'. -Xitem, --exclude=item Exclude files that contain item anywhere in their filename from being installed. file ... Lists files to move. The filenames listed should be relative to debian/tmp/. You can also list directory names, and the whole directory will be moved. It is an error to list files here unless you use -p, -i, or -a to tell dh_movefiles which subpackage to put them in. NOTES
Note that files are always moved out of debian/tmp by default (even if you have instructed debhelper to use a compatibility level higher than one, which does not otherwise use debian/tmp for anything at all). The idea behind this is that the package that is being built can be told to install into debian/tmp, and then files can be moved by dh_movefiles from that directory. Any files or directories that remain are ignored, and get deleted by dh_clean later. SEE ALSO
debhelper(7) This program is a part of debhelper. AUTHOR
Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> 11.1.6ubuntu2 2018-05-10 DH_MOVEFILES(1)