Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting New to SSH and looking for short talk Post 302956169 by Don Cragun on Monday 28th of September 2015 12:07:46 AM
Old 09-28-2015
There is no need to apologize, and we are not averse to answering your questions. I am just pointing out that much of your confusion appears to be because in the text you are getting from your friends as samples to evaluate, you cannot see the difference between what the system will type as a prompt for you to enter commands and as output produced by your commands versus what you will type into the system in response to prompts from your shell. If you could login to a system and type in a few commands much of this would be immediately obvious.

A half hour sitting at a keyboard and trying some of these commands would easily save you days of time guessing at what a command is supposed to do.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Talk utility

Are "talk" sessions logged or can they be logged? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pbonilla
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

apple talk

Does anyone know how to route apple talk through a bridged connection ? :eek: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: maxamaynard
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Talk not working

Hi, I am trying talk but it isn't working. I tried talk ip terminal talk ip:terminal First it says: Then after 2 seconds I have checked the mesg status: Its y I am not getting any invitation on the other machine. Thanks in Advance (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vibhor_agarwali
1 Replies

4. IP Networking

UNIX talk

I have the manpage for this utility on my system, but the utility itself is not there. My friend has the utility, but it does not work, not even on the same machine. Does anyone remember it? What software package is it related to? Where is it configured? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Corona688
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

talk command to chat

Hi, Could you please advice on the following query: There are 2 users on a unix box: 1. aaaa 2. bbbb I open 2 putty sessions and login with the above 2 users. Then I type the following using the aaaa user to chat with bbbb. talk bbbb or talk bbbb@hostname Result: the screen goes... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: miltonkeynesguy
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

problems with using talk command

using talk option i tried to send message to my team mate. for connecting to one unix box, we are having a common userid and password except that, the ip addresses will change for me it is x.x.x.4, for my colleague it is x.x.x.3 These are the steps i did > who <userid> pts/2 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: trichyselva
1 Replies

7. What is on Your Mind?

Anybody want to talk about Krack?

At face value this looks bad for Android 6 and Linux. Wi-fi security flaw 'puts devices at risk of hacks' - BBC News (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hicksd8
1 Replies

8. Programming

Bridging Talk

Hi! I would like to start creating a bridge for good old Unix talk program. This bridge would allow you to joinIRC-channel by using talk just for example. I have a couple of questions: 1. Are there any previous attempts or implementations creating Talk bridge? 2. Which version of the talk... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: homebeach
9 Replies
ACSADMIN(1)							  BP executables						       ACSADMIN(1)

NAME
acsadmin - ION Aggregate Custody Signal (ACS) administration interface SYNOPSIS
acsadmin [ commands_filename ] DESCRIPTION
acsadmin configures aggregate custody signal behavior for the local ION node. It operates in response to ACS configuration commands found in the file commands_filename, if provided; if not, acsadmin prints a simple prompt (:) so that the user may type commands directly into standard input. The format of commands for commands_filename can be queried from acsadmin with the 'h' or '?' commands at the prompt. The commands are documented in acsrc(5). EXIT STATUS
0 Successful completion of ACS administration. EXAMPLES
acsadmin Enter interactive ACS configuration command entry mode. acsadmin host1.acs Execute all configuration commands in host1.acs, then terminate immediately. FILES
See acsrc(5) for details of the ACS configuration commands. ENVIRONMENT
No environment variables apply. DIAGNOSTICS
Note: all ION administration utilities expect source file input to be lines of ASCII text that are NL-delimited. If you edit the acsrc file on a Windows machine, be sure to use dos2unix to convert it to Unix text format before presenting it to acsadmin. Otherwise acsadmin will detect syntax errors and will not function satisfactorily. The following diagnostics may be issued to the logfile ion.log: acsadmin can't attach to ION. There is no SDR data store for acsadmin to use. You should run ionadmin(1) first, to set up an SDR data store for ION. Can't open command file... The commands_filename specified in the command line doesn't exist. Various errors that don't cause acsadmin to fail but are noted in the ion.log log file may be caused by improperly formatted commands given at the prompt or in the commands_filename file. Please see acsrc(5) for details. BUGS
Report bugs to <ion-bugs@korgano.eecs.ohiou.edu> SEE ALSO
ionadmin(1), bpadmin(1), acsrc(5) perl v5.14.2 2012-05-25 ACSADMIN(1)