Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting New to SSH and looking for short talk Post 302956155 by Don Cragun on Sunday 27th of September 2015 02:50:43 PM
Old 09-27-2015
This site doesn't have an on-line chat feature. But, if you search the site for threads with the tag ssh you'll get a list of ~200 threads discussing how to use ssh.

To learn more about command line structure (commands, utilities, arguments, options, operands, pipelines, ...), start by reading the man page on your system for the shell you use (most likely man bash, man dash, or man ksh depending on what Linux distribution you're using). I strongly suggest that you get comfortable using the shell before you try to dig too deep into ssh. When using ssh, you're dealing with a shell on your local system issuing shell commands to a shell on a remote system. You have to understand quoting so that you'll understand what the local shell will do and what will be passed to the remote shell.

If you try to do something and you can explain to us what you are trying to do, show us the input(s) you have, show us the output(s) you want, show us what you have done, and show us what you are getting from what you have done; we will be happy to try to explain where you went wrong and how to fix it.
This User Gave Thanks to Don Cragun For This Post:

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Talk utility

Are "talk" sessions logged or can they be logged? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pbonilla
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

apple talk

Does anyone know how to route apple talk through a bridged connection ? :eek: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: maxamaynard
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Talk not working

Hi, I am trying talk but it isn't working. I tried talk ip terminal talk ip:terminal First it says: Then after 2 seconds I have checked the mesg status: Its y I am not getting any invitation on the other machine. Thanks in Advance (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vibhor_agarwali
1 Replies

4. IP Networking

UNIX talk

I have the manpage for this utility on my system, but the utility itself is not there. My friend has the utility, but it does not work, not even on the same machine. Does anyone remember it? What software package is it related to? Where is it configured? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Corona688
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

talk command to chat

Hi, Could you please advice on the following query: There are 2 users on a unix box: 1. aaaa 2. bbbb I open 2 putty sessions and login with the above 2 users. Then I type the following using the aaaa user to chat with bbbb. talk bbbb or talk bbbb@hostname Result: the screen goes... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: miltonkeynesguy
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

problems with using talk command

using talk option i tried to send message to my team mate. for connecting to one unix box, we are having a common userid and password except that, the ip addresses will change for me it is x.x.x.4, for my colleague it is x.x.x.3 These are the steps i did > who <userid> pts/2 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: trichyselva
1 Replies

7. What is on Your Mind?

Anybody want to talk about Krack?

At face value this looks bad for Android 6 and Linux. Wi-fi security flaw 'puts devices at risk of hacks' - BBC News (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hicksd8
1 Replies

8. Programming

Bridging Talk

Hi! I would like to start creating a bridge for good old Unix talk program. This bridge would allow you to joinIRC-channel by using talk just for example. I have a couple of questions: 1. Are there any previous attempts or implementations creating Talk bridge? 2. Which version of the talk... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: homebeach
9 Replies
DtMmdbBookGetShortTitle(library call)									     DtMmdbBookGetShortTitle(library call)

NAME
DtMmdbBookGetShortTitle -- obtains the short title of a book SYNOPSIS
#include <DtMmdb.h> const char* DtMmdbBookGetShortTitle( DtMmdbInfoRequest* request, unsigned int* length); DESCRIPTION
The DtMmdbBookGetShortTitle function returns the short title of the specified book object. Do not use the free function on the returned pointer. Table lookup is involved when the identifier is specified by either the primary_oid or sequence_num field. ARGUMENTS
request Specifies the bookcase in the bookcase descriptor field, as well as a valid value in the primary_oid, the secondary_oid, or the sequence_num field. The primary_oid represents the DtInfo Database object identifier of the TOC section; the secondary_oid rep- resents the object identifier of the book itself; and the sequence_num represents the sequence number of the book within the bookcase (0 based). If more than one of these fields have a valid value, the order of precedence is: primary_oid, secondary_oid, and, last, sequence_num. length Specifies the variable to receive the length of the returned short title, if the returned pointer to the title is not NULL. RETURN VALUE
If DtMmdbBookGetShortTitle completes successfully, it returns a pointer to the book's short title. If it fails, it returns a NULL pointer. EXAMPLE
None. SEE ALSO
DtMmdbBookGetLongTitle(3) DtMmdbBookGetShortTitle(library call)