Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Looking for sed commands to add some strings Post 302955516 by wridler on Friday 18th of September 2015 04:50:42 AM
Old 09-18-2015
Looking for sed commands to add some strings

Hi All,

I have one file which has contents as following. I have now to add some strings into this file. In below there is a "Description" field, and I have to look line by line and as the description contents will be finished, I have to add the string "Hello world" followed by a TAB. So before the filed "Jobs" I have to add the string "Hello world" followed by a TAB.

Code:
Change:    12345

Date:    2015/09/10 10:08:59

Client:    maven

User:    xyz

Description:
               test file.

Jobs:
    XY-245

Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment Use code tags please, thanks.

Last edited by Don Cragun; 09-18-2015 at 03:48 PM.. Reason: Fix CODE tags again.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Collating strings using sed

I am trying to work out how to collate a string in sed. The format is... 01 R W R D But i want it to sort like so... 01 RRWD i have tried regular expressions on this but because their are many different ways this string could appear, it is not working out. Does anyone know a method of doing... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jeffersno1
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using sed with strings of nonprintable characters

Hey, I'm having trouble figuring out the syntax for using sed with string of non-printable characters. What I have is the following format: <field>@@;@@<field>@@;@@...@@;@@<field>@@^@@<field>@@;@@<field>@@;@@...@@;@@<field>@@^@@ ... With the @@;@@ being the delimeters between fields and the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dickalicious
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

replacing strings with newlines : sed

Hi everyone, Since the previous time I received help from unix.com I have been encouraged to learn more. going through 1 of the articles(View Article) on sed I found, it pointed an interesting situation. Suppose the text is : Romeo and Ethel the Dancer Moves Audience to Tears. I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hkansal
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace Strings with sed or awk

Hello i need some help with the usage of sed. Situation : 2 textfiles, file.in , file.out In the first textfile which is called file.in are the words for the substitution. Every word is in a new-line like : Firstsub Secondsub Thridsub ... In the second textflie wich is called file.out is... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kingbruce
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparing strings with sed

Input: The the the the Output: not-same same What would be the sed command to do this? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: cola
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using sed to replace two different strings?

Hey everyone! Simple question - I am trying to use sed to replace two different strings. As it stands I can implement this as: sed -i 's/TIMEOUT//g' sed -i 's/null//g' And it works. However, is it possible to shrink that down into a single command? Will there be any performance benefits? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: msarro
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed to extract all strings

Hi, I have a text file containing 2 lines as follows: I'm trying to extract all the strings following an "AME." The output would be as follows: BUSINESS_UNIT PROJECT_ID ACTIVITY_ID RES_USER1 RESOURCE_ID_FROM ANALYSIS_TYPE BI_DISTRIB_STATUS BUSINESS_UNIT PROJECT_ID ACTIVITY_ID... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: simpletech369
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete 2 strings from 1 line with sed?

Hi guys, I wonder if it's possible to search for a line containing 2 strings and delete that line and perhaps replace the source file with already deleted line(s). What I mean is something like this: sourcefile.txt line1: something 122344 somethin2 24334 45554676 line2: another something... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: netrom
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Can I combine below mentioned grep commands using OR (when searching strings having spaces)

Command 1: $script | grep 'Write to ECC( SSID=MARGIN)' Command 2: $script | grep 'is not greater than existing logical processing' The above commands run my script and search the mentioned strings but I do not want to run my script twice. It is increasing run time. Can someone tell me... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tanu
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

sed find 2 strings and replace one

Hi Everyone, I want to find this 2 strings in a single line a file and replace the second string. this is the line i need to find <param name="user" value="CORE_BI"/> find user and CORE_BI and replace only CORE_BI with admin so finally the line should look like this. <param... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: shajay12
5 Replies
ShellQuote(3pm) 					User Contributed Perl Documentation					   ShellQuote(3pm)

NAME
String::ShellQuote - quote strings for passing through the shell SYNOPSIS
$string = shell_quote @list; $string = shell_quote_best_effort @list; $string = shell_comment_quote $string; DESCRIPTION
This module contains some functions which are useful for quoting strings which are going to pass through the shell or a shell-like object. shell_quote [string]... shell_quote quotes strings so they can be passed through the shell. Each string is quoted so that the shell will pass it along as a single argument and without further interpretation. If no strings are given an empty string is returned. If any string can't be safely quoted shell_quote will croak. shell_quote_best_effort [string]... This is like shell_quote, excpet if the string can't be safely quoted it does the best it can and returns the result, instead of dying. shell_comment_quote [string] shell_comment_quote quotes the string so that it can safely be included in a shell-style comment (the current algorithm is that a sharp character is placed after any newlines in the string). This routine might be changed to accept multiple string arguments in the future. I haven't done this yet because I'm not sure if the strings should be joined with blanks ($") or nothing ($,). Cast your vote today! Be sure to justify your answer. EXAMPLES
$cmd = 'fuser 2>/dev/null ' . shell_quote @files; @pids = split ' ', `$cmd`; print CFG "# Configured by: ", shell_comment_quote($ENV{LOGNAME}), " "; BUGS
Only Bourne shell quoting is supported. I'd like to add other shells (particularly cmd.exe), but I'm not familiar with them. It would be a big help if somebody supplied the details. AUTHOR
Roderick Schertler <roderick@argon.org> SEE ALSO
perl(1). perl v5.8.4 2005-05-03 ShellQuote(3pm)