Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Printf padded string
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Printf padded string Post 302955070 by Corona688 on Monday 14th of September 2015 01:12:22 PM
Old 09-14-2015
I don't think you can do this in one operation. The % modifiers consider parts individually, not as one. How I'd do it is:

Code:
LEN=30 # How long you want the string to be
PRELEN="${#PREFIX}" # Length of string prefix
DIGITS=$((LEN - PRELEN))

printf "%s%0${DIGITS}d\n" $PREFIX $NUMBER

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

find: problems escaping printf-command string

Hi Folks! Can you help me with this find -printf command. I seem to be unable to execute the printf-command from my shell script. I'm confused: :confused: My shell script snippet looks like this: #!/bin/sh .. COMMAND="find ./* -printf '%p %m %s %u %g \n'" echo "Command: ${COMMAND}"... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: grahamb
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk printf formatting using string format specifier.

Hi all, My simple AWK code does C = A - B If C can be a negative number, how awk printf formating handles it using string format specifier. Thanks in advance Kanu :confused: (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: kanu_pathak
9 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

printf with Character String

I am trying to use printf with a character string that is used within a do loop. The problem is that while in the loop, the printf prints the variable name instead of the value. The do loop calls the variable name from a text file (called device.txt): while read device do cat $device.clean... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dleblanc67
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help formatting a string. Something like printf?

Hi I'm having a problem with converting a file: ID X 1 7 1 8 1 3 2 5 2 7 2 2 To something like this: ID X1 X2 X3 1 7 8 3 2 5 7 2 I've tried the following loop: for i in `cat tst.csv| awk -F "," '{print $1}'| uniq`;do grep -h $i... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: flotsam
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Explanation for printf string in awk

hi all can any one help me to understand this bdf -t vfxs | awk '/\//{printf("%-30s%-10s%-10s%-10s%-5s%-10s\n",$1,$2,$3,$4,$5,$6)}' i want to understand the numbers %-30S% (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: maxim42
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

String formatting using awk printf

Hi Friends, I am trying to insert lines of the below format in a file: # x3a4914 Joe 2010/04/07 # seh Lane 2010/04/07 # IN01379 Larry 2010/04/07 I am formatting the strings as follows using awk printf: awk 'printf "# %s %9s %18s\n", $2,$3,$4}' ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sugan
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to print a string using printf?

I want to print a string say "str1 str2 str3 str4" using printf. If I try printing it using printf it is printing as follows. output ------- str1 str2 str3 str4 btw I'm working in AIX. This is my first post in this forum :) regards, rakesh (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: enigmatrix
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Printf question: getting padded zero in decimal plus floating point together.

Hi Experts, Quick question: I am trying to get the output with decimal and floating point but not working: echo "20.03" | awk '{printf "%03d.2f\n" , $0 }' 020.2f How to get the output as : 020.03 Thank you. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rveri
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unable to match string within awk printf

Hi All I am working to process txt file into csv commo separated. Input.txt 1,2,asdf,34sdsd,120,haahha2 2,2,wewedf,45sdsd,130,haahha ..... .... Errorcode.txt 120 130 140 myawk.awk code: { BEGIN{ HEADER="f1,f2,f3,f4,f5,f6" (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: krsnadasa
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Printf or any other method to put long string of spec characters - passing passwords

Hello, I am looking for a method to use in my bash script which allows me to use long strings with all special characters. I have found that printf method could be helpful for me but unfortunately, when I trying root@machine:~# tevar=`printf "%s%c"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: elxa1
2 Replies
STR_PAD(3)								 1								STR_PAD(3)

str_pad - Pad a string to a certain length with another string

SYNOPSIS
string str_pad (string $input, int $pad_length, [string $pad_string = " "], [int $pad_type = STR_PAD_RIGHT]) DESCRIPTION
This functions returns the $input string padded on the left, the right, or both sides to the specified padding length. If the optional argument $pad_string is not supplied, the $input is padded with spaces, otherwise it is padded with characters from $pad_string up to the limit. PARAMETERS
o $input - The input string. o $pad_length - If the value of $pad_length is negative, less than, or equal to the length of the input string, no padding takes place. o $pad_string - Note The $pad_string may be truncated if the required number of padding characters can't be evenly divided by the $pad_string's length. o $pad_type - Optional argument $pad_type can be STR_PAD_RIGHT, STR_PAD_LEFT, or STR_PAD_BOTH. If $pad_type is not specified it is assumed to be STR_PAD_RIGHT. RETURN VALUES
Returns the padded string. EXAMPLES
Example #1 str_pad(3) example <?php $input = "Alien"; echo str_pad($input, 10); // produces "Alien " echo str_pad($input, 10, "-=", STR_PAD_LEFT); // produces "-=-=-Alien" echo str_pad($input, 10, "_", STR_PAD_BOTH); // produces "__Alien___" echo str_pad($input, 6 , "___"); // produces "Alien_" ?> PHP Documentation Group STR_PAD(3)