Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Bash Script Closest Timestamp (LOG FILE) Post 302954938 by roberto999 on Sunday 13th of September 2015 01:02:48 PM
Old 09-13-2015
Hi Don,
Thank you for the fast reply below are the answers to your questions.

What operating system are you using?
Answer: Debian

What shell are you using?
Answer: Bash

For single digit day of month values, is there a leading space or a leading zero? (I.e., does the code that writes the date stamp use %d or %e to format the day of month?)
Answer: Correct it is a 0 so for example the 9th would be 09.

Is the date & time in the first file always in the 7th semicolon delimited field?
Answer: Correct it is always on the 7th column / semicolon

Is the date & time in the second file always in the 1st semicolon delimited field?
Answer: Correct it is always on the 1st column / semicolon

Are the date & time values in the second file always in increasing time order (as in your sample FILE2 contents)?
Answer: Correct

And, just to be clear, if you find the same date & time in both files, the matching entry in the 2nd file would NOT be selected; is that correct? I.e., you really mean the date & time in the 2nd file must be earlier, not earlier or the same time, than the date & time in the 1st file.

Answer: It would never be the same time on the first file and the time would always be more than the second file as these are comments added after the value in FILE2 are added. Which means if both times are matching FILE1 would take the previous date/time and not the equal one which means it would always be "earlier" pick.

Thanks again Don for all your help I greatly appreciate all your help!

Sincerely,
Roberto

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Spooling a log file with timestamp

Hi From shell script i am invoking sqlplus to connect to oracle database and then i spool a csv file as with output. What i want to do is to change the file name with timestamp on it so after spooling finish shell script change file name with time stamp. can someone help me to do that . Thanks... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ukadmin
2 Replies

2. Linux

SED/AWK Script to clear log file using timestamp?

I have a log file on our system which fills up with lines that have been timestamped, as follows.... 03/03/2008 10:56:06:815] (ERROR) balance: continuing session to genapp02 : 18500 03/03/2008 10:56:06:820] (ERROR) balance: continuing session to genapp02 : 18500 03/03/2008 10:56:07:003]... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: davesimm
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

concatenate log file lines up to timestamp

Hi, Using sed awk or perl I am trying to do something similar to https://www.unix.com/shell-programming-scripting/105887-sed-awk-concatenate-lines-until-blank-line-2.html but my requirement is slightly different. What I am trying to accomplish is to reformat a logfile such that all lines... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: AlanC
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Logging ALL standard out of a bash script to a log file, but still show on screen

Is it possible to store all standard-out of a bash script and the binaries it calls in a log file AND still display the stdout on screen? I know this is possible to store ALL stdout/stderr of a script to a single log file like: exec 1>&${logFile} exec 2>&1 But running a script with the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ckmehta
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete log file entries based on the Date/Timestamp within log file

If a log file is in the following format 28-Jul-10 ::: Log message 28-Jul-10 ::: Log message 29-Jul-10 ::: Log message 30-Jul-10 ::: Log message 31-Jul-10 ::: Log message 31-Jul-10 ::: Log message 1-Aug-10 ::: Log message 1-Aug-10 ::: Log message 2-Aug-10 ::: Log message 2-Aug-10 :::... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vikram3.r
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash script to create txt files based on timestamp

Hi , please guide me for a bash script that will create a txt files and the name of the txt files will be as of timestamp so that each file name will be different from other and these files will be get created say after every 10 minutes in a folder(/home/p2000/sxs137), please guide me how would... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nks342
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Increment and find closest value until the end of the file is reached.

Hi all, I have a file which looks like: 0 1.1985506 1 1.2237930 2 1.2159038 3 1.2668828 4 1.2650216 5 1.2474344 6 1.2817688 7 1.2721698 8 1.2665005 9 1.2826315 10 1.2797879 11 1.3201736 12 1.3116595 13 1.3361583 14 1.3309238 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ezitoc
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find the closest value in another csv file preceding it and following it?

Hi, Is this possible? I want to take a csv file and find the closest value in another csv file preceding it and following it. For ex. In this csv file, I'll take the first line: 1309341156.800000000 1309341156.802500000 1309341156.805000000 1309341156.807500000 and find the closest... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: superbbrr
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can i make my cron/script to generate a log filename with timestamp in it ?

Hello Friends, I would like my script to display date timestamps in the file name for every script execution. Below is the scenario: (just for testing purpose) I scheduled a cron job, lets say it runs every 5 min and record/logs output in to a log file. 0,5,10,15,20,25,30,35,40,45,50,55 *... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: System Admin 77
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script for looking in log file

Hello, I'm a beginner in shell scripting. I would really appreciate some help from the forum. I want to write a small script that will look in apache error log. If it finds the appropriate word. It would execute some commands. In my case the apache error log is situated in:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajaysingh99
2 Replies
TEST(1) 							   User Commands							   TEST(1)

NAME
test - check file types and compare values SYNOPSIS
test EXPRESSION test [ EXPRESSION ] [ ] [ OPTION DESCRIPTION
Exit with the status determined by EXPRESSION. --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit An omitted EXPRESSION defaults to false. Otherwise, EXPRESSION is true or false and sets exit status. It is one of: ( EXPRESSION ) EXPRESSION is true ! EXPRESSION EXPRESSION is false EXPRESSION1 -a EXPRESSION2 both EXPRESSION1 and EXPRESSION2 are true EXPRESSION1 -o EXPRESSION2 either EXPRESSION1 or EXPRESSION2 is true -n STRING the length of STRING is nonzero STRING equivalent to -n STRING -z STRING the length of STRING is zero STRING1 = STRING2 the strings are equal STRING1 != STRING2 the strings are not equal INTEGER1 -eq INTEGER2 INTEGER1 is equal to INTEGER2 INTEGER1 -ge INTEGER2 INTEGER1 is greater than or equal to INTEGER2 INTEGER1 -gt INTEGER2 INTEGER1 is greater than INTEGER2 INTEGER1 -le INTEGER2 INTEGER1 is less than or equal to INTEGER2 INTEGER1 -lt INTEGER2 INTEGER1 is less than INTEGER2 INTEGER1 -ne INTEGER2 INTEGER1 is not equal to INTEGER2 FILE1 -ef FILE2 FILE1 and FILE2 have the same device and inode numbers FILE1 -nt FILE2 FILE1 is newer (modification date) than FILE2 FILE1 -ot FILE2 FILE1 is older than FILE2 -b FILE FILE exists and is block special -c FILE FILE exists and is character special -d FILE FILE exists and is a directory -e FILE FILE exists -f FILE FILE exists and is a regular file -g FILE FILE exists and is set-group-ID -G FILE FILE exists and is owned by the effective group ID -h FILE FILE exists and is a symbolic link (same as -L) -k FILE FILE exists and has its sticky bit set -L FILE FILE exists and is a symbolic link (same as -h) -O FILE FILE exists and is owned by the effective user ID -p FILE FILE exists and is a named pipe -r FILE FILE exists and read permission is granted -s FILE FILE exists and has a size greater than zero -S FILE FILE exists and is a socket -t FD file descriptor FD is opened on a terminal -u FILE FILE exists and its set-user-ID bit is set -w FILE FILE exists and write permission is granted -x FILE FILE exists and execute (or search) permission is granted Except for -h and -L, all FILE-related tests dereference symbolic links. Beware that parentheses need to be escaped (e.g., by backslashes) for shells. INTEGER may also be -l STRING, which evaluates to the length of STRING. NOTE: [ honors the --help and --version options, but test does not. test treats each of those as it treats any other nonempty STRING. NOTE: your shell may have its own version of test and/or [, which usually supersedes the version described here. Please refer to your shell's documentation for details about the options it supports. AUTHOR
Written by Kevin Braunsdorf and Matthew Bradburn. REPORTING BUGS
Report test bugs to bug-coreutils@gnu.org GNU coreutils home page: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/> General help using GNU software: <http://www.gnu.org/gethelp/> Report test translation bugs to <http://translationproject.org/team/> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2010 Free Software Foundation, Inc. License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>. This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it. There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. SEE ALSO
The full documentation for test is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and test programs are properly installed at your site, the command info coreutils 'test invocation' should give you access to the complete manual. GNU coreutils 8.5 February 2011 TEST(1)