Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX Permanently set maxdata to maximum Post 302954937 by MichaelFelt on Sunday 13th of September 2015 12:54:13 PM
Old 09-13-2015
After many hours of travel, and some sleep I have for you - this link with the basis information: https://www-01.ibm.com/support/knowl...rg_support.htm

Basically, what happens is that system and code remain in segments 0 and 1.
When maxdata is not equal to 0 (zero) - which is default, segment 2 is used for the stack and application .data (pre-initialized data) and .bss (aka heap for malloc calls) start in segment 3 and continue for the number of segments specified.

As you mentioned in your initial question the "official" large memory support model has a maximum MAXDATA value of 0x80000000 - so that is 2.25 G total (256MB (roughly) for the stack, and 2 GByte (8x 256 MByte) for application .data and .bss

From the discussion, I do not think you will want to use the DSA - dynamic segment allocation - option (so-called or the VERY large memory option). However, if 2G Byte for .data and .bss is not going to be enough you may need to use that.

Back to "shared" memory - the default memory model setup uses only segments 0, 1, and 2 for the memory model - the segments there are 12 segments (numbers 3-12 and 14 are used by shmap or mmap routines). Historically, segments 13 and 15 were used by global shared libraries text and data. When you use the DSA option global shared libraries are not used - instead the shared libraries are loaded "privately" into segment 15 - both text and data. This free up segment 13 giving an application at least one additional segment.

If you are not using shmap or mmap routines then the "very large" model should work fairly easy. However, if you do use either of these routines they may impact the maximum memory available via malloc(). - keyword here: potential impact!

I hope this answers your question well enough.

Michael

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

compatibilty with MAXDATA machines

hi, I'm thinking of buying a Maxdata laptop 3100x. Only problem is that I'll need to run LINUX on it, and I've been warned that some machines don't run UNIX due to problems with their graphics cards. I contacted Maxdata, who say they've never tested their machines for UNIX-compatibility, which... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: perturbed
1 Replies

2. AIX

I can not increase the maxdata to 2 G.B

Please can anyone help me in my problem my problem is i have AIX 5.3 and We need 1 GB of data segment size available and we found To set the data segment size to 1 GB, set the LDR_CNTRL variable to LDR_CNTRL=MAXDATA=0x40000000@DSA. But after we set it and check with command “$ dump -X64 -o... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mghazaly
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

lynx browser set permanently option

hi all, is there somebody that know how can I set an permanently option for the lynx text browser? The reason is if I open some URL's and type my login infos then lynx show follow message: P)roceed, use G)ET or C)ancel Server asked for 301 redirection of POST content to URL: The UNIX... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: research3
1 Replies

4. Solaris

How do i permanently set bash profile??

Hi all, I don't want to enter below command on solaris every time. How do i permanently set this command on Solaris. I know that this operation is a piece of cake on redhat because there is a /etc/rc.local file on it. But Solaris ???? bash-3.00#export PS1="\e (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: getrue
2 Replies

5. Red Hat

set device mode permanently with udev rule

On a test server running CentOS 6, I try to permanently set the owner, group and mode of disk devices for use with a DB2 database. For this I created an udev rule file /etc/udev/rules.d/99-db2.rules: KERNEL=="sdb*", OWNER="db2usrl1", GROUP="db2adml1", MODE="0600" After a reboot, the owner and... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hergp
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

gmail revert to old look permanently

I thought I would share gmail revert to old look permanently. I am sure I am not the only one annoyed by the new look. Install Stylish extension Choose the Stylish UserStyle that you want. I know The Return of Old Gmail and gmail-b2b both work but I prefer gmail-b2b since I think it looks... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
0 Replies

7. Red Hat

Change service name permanently

Hi, Since everything is doable in Linux so far, what is the ability of changing a spicifc service name permanently. e.g. I want to change the network service name to connection, so I can use chkconfig command as follow: chkconfig connection off --level 5 # for disabling network service in... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: leo_ultra_leo
7 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Set maximum memory for user

Hi, I have as Solaris 10 (x86) system. I want to set the maximum memory for the user But the following comaand is valid only till next reboot.Pls let me know how to make it permanenent. prctl -n project.max-shm-memory -r -v 4G -i project 3 (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rossdba
6 Replies

9. Solaris

Set autolist permanently

Hi , How to set autolist permanently in Solaris 10 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ankit.padhiyar
2 Replies

10. Red Hat

Cannot set 'soft limits' for 'maximum stack size' for a standard user

Hi Guys, I'm trying to install Oracle Database on to Oracle Linux 7.6 but when the database install package checks the OS set-up, it keeps on failing on the soft limits for the stack. It's default value is 8192 but I'm trying to set it to 10240. This is what I added to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ASGR
2 Replies
size(1) 							   User Commands							   size(1)

NAME
size - print section sizes in bytes of object files SYNOPSIS
size [-f] [-F] [-n] [-o] [-V] [-x] filename... DESCRIPTION
The size command produces segment or section size information in bytes for each loaded section in ELF object files. size prints out the size of the text, data, and bss (uninitialized data) segments (or sections) and their total. size processes ELF object files entered on the command line. If an archive file is input to the size command, the information for each object file in the archive is displayed. When calculating segment information, the size command prints out the total file size of the non-writable segments, the total file size of the writable segments, and the total memory size of the writable segments minus the total file size of the writable segments. If it cannot calculate segment information, size calculates section information. When calculating section information, it prints out the total size of sections that are allocatable, non-writable, and not NOBITS, the total size of the sections that are allocatable, writable, and not NOBITS, and the total size of the writable sections of type NOBITS. NOBITS sections do not actually take up space in the filename. If size cannot calculate either segment or section information, it prints an error message and stops processing the file. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -f Prints out the size of each allocatable section, the name of the section, and the total of the section sizes. If there is no section data, size prints out an error message and stops processing the file. -F Prints out the size of each loadable segment, the permission flags of the segment, then the total of the loadable segment sizes. If there is no segment data, size prints an error message and stops processing the file. -n Prints out non-loadable segment or non-allocatable section sizes. If segment data exists, size prints out the memory size of each loadable segment or file size of each non-loadable segment, the permission flags, and the total size of the segments. If there is no segment data, size prints out, for each allocatable and non-allocatable section, the memory size, the section name, and the total size of the sections. If there is no segment or section data, size prints an error message and stops processing. -o Prints numbers in octal, not decimal. -V Prints the version information for the size command on the standard error output. -x Prints numbers in hexadecimal, not decimal. EXAMPLES
The examples below are typical size output. Example 1 Producing size information example% size filename 2724 + 88 + 0 = 2812 Example 2 Producing allocatable section size information example% size -f filename 26(.text) + 5(.init) + 5(.fini) = 36 Example 3 Producing loadable segment size information example% size -F filename 2724(r-x) + 88(rwx) + 0(rwx) = 2812 ... (If statically linked) ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWbtool | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
as(1), cc(1B), ld(1), ar.h(3HEAD), a.out(4), attributes(5) NOTES
Since the size of bss sections is not known until link-edit time, the size command will not give the true total size of pre-linked objects. SunOS 5.11 16 Oct 1996 size(1)