Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Zfs - what does atime update? Post 302954685 by jabberwocky on Thursday 10th of September 2015 07:00:32 AM
Old 09-10-2015
vielen Dank

Don,Peasant,jlliagre,

Thank-you for your replies; my post was to determine how I could see the effect of setting atime=off for zfs. Unfortunately I cannot install the gnu utils for solaris to get stat available, due to rigid change control. I have not come across ls -lu before; I have tried repeatedly catting the file atimetest.txt today, but that does not show any change in the ls -lu output.
I am happy to accept that the default setting for atime (=on) updates the inode data, which is something I cannot see easily, in my current setup.

J

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

atime, ctime, mtime somewhere along csize..

i have used all forms of the unix find command.. and right now this is the only command i can think of that might have this option..: if i use mtime i am looking at a time interval.. but if i wanted to find out intervals of access, change and modification according to when a file changed size... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: moxxx68
4 Replies

2. Programming

read() without changing atime ?

Hey, First of all I want to know How do I see the atime of a file ?? Whats the command ?? I think ls -l shows the last modified time right ? Because when I use cat to read a file, the timestamp shown by ls -l does not change. Its not ls -lu ! man ls did not help ! How do I see the last... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: tantric
8 Replies

3. Tips and Tutorials

mtime, ctime, and atime

Unix keeps 3 timestamps for each file: mtime, ctime, and atime. Most people seem to understand atime (access time), it is when the file was last read. There does seem to be some confusion between mtime and ctime though. ctime is the inode change time while mtime is the file modification time. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Perderabo
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to find ot ctime , mtime ,atime

Can any one tell me how to find out ctime , mtime ,atime for a file/directory on unix. Cheers, Nilesh (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nilesrex
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

mtime VS atime VS ctime

hi, in trying to maintain your directories, one needs to do some housekeeping like removing old files. the tool "find" comes in handy. but how would you decide which option to use when it comes to, say, deleting files that are older than 5 days? mtime - last modified atime - last accessed... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinoy43v3r
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

-atime not working as expected

I need to sort through a volume that contains video files by access time and delete files that have not been accessed over x days. I have to use the access time as video files are originals that do not get modified, just read Testing commands on a local test folder... $ date Wed Sep 28... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: canon273
10 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Why updating atime doesn't update ctime?

Hi, ctime is the inode change time. If reading a file, its atime will be updated, which should cause inode member i_atime changed, which is an inode change. So ctime should also be updated. But if I try to ls a directory on redhat, only the directory atime gets updated, not ctime. Why? THANKS! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: password636
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Having a hell of atime with KSH -ftp automation

Following this thread: https://www.unix.com/ip-networking/1935-automated-ftp-task.html I have created the following script: #! /bin/ksh HOST=ftp.mywebsite2.com USER=astrocloud PASSWD=8**** exec 4>&1 ftp -nv >&4 2>&4 |& print -p open $HOST print -p user $USER $PASSWD print -p cd... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Astrocloud
3 Replies

9. Solaris

How to update zfs-based flar?

Hello! I have ZFS-based flash archive (flar file). I need to install to it several additional packages and patches. As I know, it is possible for USF-based flar, but how to do it with ZFS-based one? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sluge
0 Replies
install-solaris(1M)													       install-solaris(1M)

NAME
install-solaris - install the Solaris operating system SYNOPSIS
install-solaris install-solaris invokes the Solaris Install program. Depending on graphical capability and available memory at the time of invocation, install-solaris invokes either a text-based installer or a graphical installer. The following minimum requirements for physical memory dictate which features are available during installation: For SPARC machines: 128 MB Minimum physical memory for all installation types 128 MB Minimum physical memory required for windowing system 384 MB Minimum physical memory required for graphical-based installation For x86 machines: 256 MB Minimum physical memory for all installation types 256 MB Minimum physical memory required for windowing system 512 MB Minimum physical memory required for graphical-based installation In some cases, even if the minimum physical memory is present, available virtual memory after system startup can limit the number of fea- tures available. install-solaris exists only on the Solaris installation media (CD or DVD) and should be invoked only from there. Refer to the for more details. install-solaris allows installation of the operating system onto any standalone system. install-solaris loads the software available on the installation media. Refer to the for disk space requirements. Refer to the for more information on the various menus and selections. See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcdrom (Solaris instal- | | |lation media) | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Evolving | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ pkginfo(1), install(1M), pkgadd(1M), attributes(5) It is advisable to exit install-solaris by means of the exit options in the install-solaris menus. 23 Sep 2005 install-solaris(1M)