Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Comparing lines within a word list Post 302954651 by RudiC on Wednesday 9th of September 2015 05:44:45 PM
Old 09-09-2015
I'm afraid you'll have to search for (e.g. grep) for every single combination of chars, for above it would be grep "A.E" or grep "A[[:alpha:]]E", to be more precise. Writing an awk script might cause less effort for the OS running just one command, but still it would need to open and close many many files...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparing a distinct value in 1 list with another list

Hi all, I need to compare the contents of 2 directories where the file contents are similar and take out the filenames whose contents does not exist within the 2 directories. Directory1 1 2 3 4 Directory2 54 55 56 57 Does anyone has a script which can do this? At the end of... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: manualvin
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

comparing lines from 2 files

Hi Friends, I have 2 files A and B . I want to compare the 3rd line of file A and B . (I dont want to compare the 2 files, using diff or cmp). I just want to know whether 3rd line of A matches the 3 rd line of B. Can anybody share their knowledge on the same? Thanks , Vijaya (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: vijaya2006
12 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Word count of lines ending with certain word

Hi all, I am trying to write a command that can help me count the number of lines in the /etc/passwd file ending in bash. I have read through other threads but am yet to find one indicating how to locate a specifc word at the end of a line. I know i will need to use the wc command but when i... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: warlock129
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

comparing lines in file

i have 2 files and i want to compare i currently cat the files and awk print $1, $2 and doing if file1=file2 then fail, else exit 0 what i want to do is compare values, with column 1 being a reference i want to compare line by line and then still be able to do if then statement to see if worked... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sigh2010
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparing lines of two different files

Hello, Please help me with this problem if you have a solution. I have two files: <file1> : In each line, first word is an Id and then other words that belong to this Id piMN-1 abc pqr xyz py12 niLM y12 FY4 pqs fiRLym F12 kite red <file2> : same as file1, but can have extra lds... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mira
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search the word to be deleted and delete lines above this word starting from P1 to P3

Hi, I have to search a word in a text file and then I have to delete lines above from the word searched . For eg suppose the file is like this: Records P1 10,23423432 ,77:1 ,234:2 P2 10,9089004 ,77:1 ,234:2 ,87:123 ,9898:2 P3 456456 P1 :123,456456546 P2 abc:324234 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vsachan
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Comparing lines of data

Total UNIX Rookie, but I'm learning. I have columns of integer data separated by spaces, and I'm using a Mac terminal. What I want to do: 1. Compare "line 1 column 2" (x) to "line 2 column 2" (y); is y-x>=100? 2. If yes, display difference and y's line number 3. If no, increment x and y by... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: markymarkg123
9 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Delete lines with a word and their above lines

Hi, i have a file like this: A1 kdfjdljfdkljfdlf A2 lfjdlfkjddkjf A3 ***no hit*** A4 ldjfldjfdk A5 ***no hit*** A6 jldfjdlfjdlkfjd I want to remove the lines "***no hit*** and their above line to get an output file like this: (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: the_simpsons
11 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script @ Find a key word and If the key word matches then replace next 7 lines only

Hi All, I have a XML file which is looks like as below. <<please see the attachment >> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <esites> <esite> <name>XXX.com</name> <storeId>10001</storeId> <module> ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rajeev_hbk
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparing alternate lines of code

Hi gents, Have only a passing familiarity with linux/shell at this point, so please forgive simple question. I have text files that have lines something like the following: a b c d d d e f e f e f a b (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cabled
6 Replies
ZGREP(1)						      General Commands Manual							  ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep - search possibly compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
zgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
Zgrep is used to invoke the grep on compress'ed or gzip'ed files. All options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is speci- fied, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If zgrep is invoked as zegrep or zfgrep then egrep or fgrep is used instead of grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, zgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. For example: for sh: GREP=fgrep zgrep string files for csh: (setenv GREP fgrep; zgrep string files) AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca) SEE ALSO
grep(1), egrep(1), fgrep(1), zdiff(1), zmore(1), znew(1), zforce(1), gzip(1), gzexe(1) ZGREP(1)