Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Sourcing Env file with eval works with ksh but not BASH Post 302954623 by quirkasaurus on Wednesday 9th of September 2015 11:26:55 AM
Old 09-09-2015
eval reads everything between the quotes...

... and throws away the newlines.

The semi-colons are necessary as command separators.

But I'm still wondering why you want to make an environment file unreadable by certain users. All they have to do is type "env" to see everything you put in there anyways. (and "alias")

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

script sourcing problem (ksh)

I have a script "abc.sh" in /tmp which has exit 0 as its last line when I run this script from /tmp/xyz/def.sh script as . ../abc.sh then the script executes but the control doesn't return to def.sh script for subsequent commands in def.sh but if I invoke the abc.sh from inside the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rakeshou
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

eval in bash

hi everyone i've been reading learning the bash and there is somrthing i don;t understand what does eval do i know that it run a command or script twice but i don;t see in what for cases i can use this could somebody explain this to me (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jetfreggel
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Ksh - Env. Variables ??

Hey all, I have been using Ksh and in that I am setting Environment variables. To set Env. Variables I have created my own file "BuildScript.sh" in which i have written : export CLASSPATH=/somedir/some other dir/file:. export PATH=/some dir/file:. But when i am calling this... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: varungupta
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

KSH script eval(?) to set variable

first of all, thanks to all on this board, it has been a huge resource to answer most of my questions! I am stuck on something that should really be simple, and was looking for some help.. I am using KSH on solaris and working on a script to move containers from server to server. Where i am... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tksol
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Eval Tricky Manipulation of Arry in KSH - Help

Hi, Could any one share the intelligence to track this problem. I have any array BT_META_36 and it prints properly with contents of array. # print "BT_META_36=${BT_META_36}" # BT_META_36=cab3,cab4:HDS:052,07A cab3,cab4:HDS:052,07A Now I have a BT_META_36 assigned to a variable.... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajilesh
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[solved] Where & what bash env file, Mac OS?

Hi! I wanted to simplify my bash prompt, so I edited my etc/bashrc file. I thought this was the file that would override any other env files. When I opened it, I saw that the way it was setup was not what my prompt looked like, although I forget exactly what was there. But i edited it the way I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sudon't
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Setting up env variable in ksh

I am facing a very strange issue. I have script in ksh with #!/bin/ksh as shebang. This script has function which sets the env variable before running other functions of the script. by set_up_env() { CONFIG_FILE="/opt/app/tools/deepmarking/latestVersion/script/UploadEnv" if then ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tuxidow
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sourcing .cshrc (C shell) environment variables to bash

I have tried with the following: csh -c 'source ~/.cshrc; exec bash' # works perfectly (cat ~/.cshrc; echo exec bash) | csh # not working And, using sed, I successfully retrieved the environment variables from ~/.cshrc sed -rn 's/setenv\s+(\S+)\s+(.*)$/export \1=\2/p' ~/.cshrc but now... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Dot sourcing differences in ksh, AIX vs Linux vs Solaris

Why does dot sourcing of ksh functions behave so differently between AIX, Solaris, and Linux? How can I make Linux behave the way I want in the test I show below? I have a library of interdependent functions I have developed and use in ksh in AIX. They also run in Solaris. Now I am migrating... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: charles_n_may
9 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Sourcing file from parent directory bash

"Debian 9 64x - LXDE" I try to source a file from my parent directory: #!/bin/bash #source.bash . ../links.bash but i get "file not found". I tried . "../links.bash" and . '../links.bash'. I got on all methods the same result. If i use the absolute path it works, but i don't want to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: int3g3r
4 Replies
tcp-env(1)                                                    General Commands Manual                                                   tcp-env(1)

NAME
tcp-env - set up TCP-related environment variables SYNOPSIS
tcp-env [ -rR ] [ -ttimeout ] program [ arg ... ] DESCRIPTION
The input for tcp-env must be a TCP connection. tcp-env finds out information about that connection, puts the information into several environment variables as described in tcp-environ(5), and runs program with the given arguments. Usually tcp-env is run from inetd. It might instead be run from another server that already sets up the right environment variables; if PROTO is set to TCP when tcp-env is invoked, tcp-env assumes that all the other variables are set up properly, and it does not check whether the input is a TCP connection. OPTIONS
-r (Default.) Attempt to obtain TCPREMOTEINFO from the remote host. -R Do not attempt to obtain TCPREMOTEINFO from the remote host. -ttimeout Give up on the TCPREMOTEINFO connection attempt after timeout seconds. Default: 30. SEE ALSO
tcp-environ(5), inetd(8) tcp-env(1)