Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Zfs - what does atime update? Post 302954586 by Peasant on Wednesday 9th of September 2015 07:17:51 AM
Old 09-09-2015
By using stat command, you can see that information.

Code:
# stat somefile.txt
  File: `somefile.txt'
  Size: 9               Blocks: 2          IO Block: 512    regular file
Device: 475001dh/74776605d      Inode: 1161        Links: 1
Access: (0664/-rw-rw-r--)  Uid: (    0/    root)   Gid: (    0/    root)
Access: 2015-09-09 13:14:00.384836768 +0200
Modify: 2015-09-09 13:14:00.385346153 +0200
Change: 2015-09-09 13:14:00.385994348 +0200

If you change atime to off, the Access part will not be update when you access the file and you will gain minor to none performance depending on the filesystem structure.

Hope that helps
Regards
Peasant.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

atime, ctime, mtime somewhere along csize..

i have used all forms of the unix find command.. and right now this is the only command i can think of that might have this option..: if i use mtime i am looking at a time interval.. but if i wanted to find out intervals of access, change and modification according to when a file changed size... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: moxxx68
4 Replies

2. Programming

read() without changing atime ?

Hey, First of all I want to know How do I see the atime of a file ?? Whats the command ?? I think ls -l shows the last modified time right ? Because when I use cat to read a file, the timestamp shown by ls -l does not change. Its not ls -lu ! man ls did not help ! How do I see the last... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: tantric
8 Replies

3. Tips and Tutorials

mtime, ctime, and atime

Unix keeps 3 timestamps for each file: mtime, ctime, and atime. Most people seem to understand atime (access time), it is when the file was last read. There does seem to be some confusion between mtime and ctime though. ctime is the inode change time while mtime is the file modification time. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Perderabo
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to find ot ctime , mtime ,atime

Can any one tell me how to find out ctime , mtime ,atime for a file/directory on unix. Cheers, Nilesh (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nilesrex
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

mtime VS atime VS ctime

hi, in trying to maintain your directories, one needs to do some housekeeping like removing old files. the tool "find" comes in handy. but how would you decide which option to use when it comes to, say, deleting files that are older than 5 days? mtime - last modified atime - last accessed... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinoy43v3r
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

-atime not working as expected

I need to sort through a volume that contains video files by access time and delete files that have not been accessed over x days. I have to use the access time as video files are originals that do not get modified, just read Testing commands on a local test folder... $ date Wed Sep 28... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: canon273
10 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Why updating atime doesn't update ctime?

Hi, ctime is the inode change time. If reading a file, its atime will be updated, which should cause inode member i_atime changed, which is an inode change. So ctime should also be updated. But if I try to ls a directory on redhat, only the directory atime gets updated, not ctime. Why? THANKS! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: password636
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Having a hell of atime with KSH -ftp automation

Following this thread: https://www.unix.com/ip-networking/1935-automated-ftp-task.html I have created the following script: #! /bin/ksh HOST=ftp.mywebsite2.com USER=astrocloud PASSWD=8**** exec 4>&1 ftp -nv >&4 2>&4 |& print -p open $HOST print -p user $USER $PASSWD print -p cd... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Astrocloud
3 Replies

9. Solaris

How to update zfs-based flar?

Hello! I have ZFS-based flash archive (flar file). I need to install to it several additional packages and patches. As I know, it is possible for USF-based flar, but how to do it with ZFS-based one? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sluge
0 Replies
setlabel(1)							   User Commands						       setlabel(1)

NAME
setlabel - move files to zone with corresponding sensitivity label SYNOPSIS
/usr/bin/setlabel newlabel filename... DESCRIPTION
setlabel moves files into the zone whose label corresponds to newlabel. The old file pathname is adjusted so that it is relative to the root pathname of the new zone. If the old pathname for a file's parent directory does not exist as a directory in the new zone, the file is not moved. Once moved, the file might no longer be accessible in the current zone. Unless newlabel and filename have been specified, no labels are set. Labels are defined by the security administrator at your site. The system always displays labels in uppercase. Users can enter labels in any combination of uppercase and lowercase. Incremental changes to labels are supported. Refer to setflabel(3TSOL) for a complete description of the conditions that are required to satisfy this command, and the privileges that are needed to execute this command. EXIT STATUS
setlabel exits with one of the following values: 0 Successful completion. 1 Usage error. 2 Error in getting, setting or translating the label. USAGE
On the command line, enclose the label in double quotes unless the label is only one word. Without quotes, a second word or letter sepa- rated by a space is interpreted as a second argument. % setlabel SECRET somefile % setlabel "TOP SECRET" somefile Use any combination of upper and lowercase letters. You can separate items in a label with blanks, tabs, commas or slashes (/). Do not use any other punctuation. % setlabel "ts a b" somefile % setlabel "ts,a,b" somefile % setlabel "ts/a b" somefile % setlabel " TOP SECRET A B " somefile EXAMPLES
Example 1 Set a Label. To set somefile's label to SECRET A: example% setlabel "Secret a" somefile Example 2 Turn On a Compartment. Plus and minus signs can be used to modify an existing label. A plus sign turns on the specified compartment for somefile's label. example% setlabel +b somefile Example 3 Turn Off a Compartment. A minus sign turns off the compartments that are associated with a classification. To turn off compartment A in somefile's label: example% setlabel -A somefile If an incremental change is being made to an existing label and the first character of the label is a hyphen (-), a preceding double-hyphen (--) is required. To turn off compartment -A in somefile's label: example% setlabel -- -A somefile ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWtsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Committed | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
setflabel(3TSOL), label_encodings(4), attributes(5) NOTES
The functionality described on this manual page is available only if the system is configured with Trusted Extensions. This implementation of setting a label is meaningful for the Defense Intelligence Agency (DIA) Mandatory Access Control (MAC) policy. For more information, see label_encodings(4). SunOS 5.11 20 Jul 2007 setlabel(1)