Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Removing characters and some output Post 302954160 by Don Cragun on Friday 4th of September 2015 09:28:34 PM
Old 09-04-2015
The uniq utility looks for adjacent duplicate lines (i.e., it is normally used when given sorted input). But, if you're using awk anyway, there is no need to invoke uniq nor to sort the awk output. Try:
Code:
awk -F'[()]' '{list[$2]} END{for(i in list) print i}' file

or:
Code:
awk -F'[()]' 'list[$2]++ == 0 {print $2}' file

Last edited by Don Cragun; 09-04-2015 at 10:40 PM.. Reason: Add alternative awk script.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with removing characters like ^M

I have few files in unix which are in dos format. While I am copying these files, ^M, ^@, etc characters are being generated. I tried dos2unix command in Linux and it doesn't work. I tried sed to remove these characters but they won't go. I came to about this 'tr' command and tried to use it... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: chiru_h
16 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing certain characters in a file

Hi I have a file that has semicolons in it (;) is there a way to just remove these in the file. Example name: Joe Smith; group: Group1; name: Mary White; group: Group2; (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bombcan
2 Replies

3. HP-UX

Removing ^D and ^H characters

Hi, I have a very huge file and it contains some unprintable characters like ^H and ^D. If I try to remove using cat test1.ser| tr -d '\136 110'>newfile1 it is only removing ^and all spaces in the file. How can I remove these characters (^D ^H) and keep my spaces as it is? Thanks &... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: arsheshadri
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

help removing characters for output file in shell script

hi i'm new to shell scripts and have a small problem i am running a batch converter that returns all flash .flv files in a directory and create a png image from each one the problem i have is the $1 variable , its ok on the first call but on the secound call $1.png , i have extra... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wingchun22
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

removing characters

Hi all, Any help on how to do the following? :eek: I have an infile as follows: _thisishowyouwritehelloworld _thisisalsohowyouwritehelloworld2 I want to delete the characters from "_" to "how" and be left with: youwritehelloworld youwritehelloworld2 I am able to do delete from a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dr_sabz
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Removing ^M characters

hi I have a perl script conv.pl. when i execute this file and direct i to log file I see lots of ^M characters in the log file. There is no ^M in conv.pl file. Log file is generated only after conv.pl is executed. Please help as how to get rid of these. This conv.pl is going to get schduled... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: infyanurag
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Removing ^M characters

hi I have a perl script conv.pl. when i execute this file and direct i to log file I see lots of ^M characters in the log file. There is no ^M in conv.pl file. Log file is generated only after conv.pl is executed. Please help as how to get rid of these. This conv.pl is going to get schduled... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: infyanurag
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing ^M characters from a file

Hi, I want to removing ^M characters from a file and combine the line with the next line. ex: issue i have: ABC^M^M DEF solution i need: ABCDEF I found that you by using the following command you can remove new line characters. tr -d '\r' < infile.csv > outfile.csv still... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: mwrg
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing Characters From finger Output

Hi Does anyone know of a command that will extract only the Login name alison and year 2005 from the following output. jamesm> finger alison Login name: alison In real life: Alison Smith - Queensland Directory: /data/home/alison Shell: /usr/bin/ksh... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jamba1
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing all characters up to initial '{'

Hi there, Im having a bit of difficulty with this one and I suspect its because of the character I want to match against maybe causing me a problem, but i wanted to remove everything up to (but not including) the first instance of '{' in a string so for example the string that I want to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
2 Replies
wml::std::grid(3)						     EN Tools							 wml::std::grid(3)

NAME
wml::std::grid - Layout Grid SYNOPSIS
#use wml::std::grid <grid [attributes]> <cell [attributes]>...</cell> : <cell [attributes]>...</cell> </grid> DESCRIPTION
The "<grid>" container tag provides a mixture between a HTML table and a TeX-like way of specifying its dimensions and the alignment of its cells. ATTRIBUTES
First the possible attributes for "<grid>": "summary" This attribute will be inserted into the "table" tag, see documentation of HTML 4.0 for details on why this attribute is recommended. "layout" This specifies the layout of the grid in X and Y dimension, i.e. "3x2" means 3 columns (x-dimension) and 2 rows (y-dimension). Default is "1x"NCELL where NCELL is the number of cell tags or in other words: Default is a top-down list. "align" This specifies the horizontal alignment of the cells in a row. The argument has to contain as many characters as there are cells in a row. The supported alignment characters are `"l"' (left), `"r"' (right) and `"c"' (center). Default is `"l...l"' (as much "l"'s as there are cells in a row). "valign" This specifies the vertical alignment of the cells in a column. The argument has to contain as many characters as there are cells in a column. The supported alignment characters are `"t"' (top), `"b"' (bottom) and `"m"' (middle). Default is `"t...t"' (as much "t"'s as there are cells in a column). "width" This is the corresponding attribute of the HTML "<table>" tag. Use it to set the width of the grid. Default is no specified width. "spacing" This is the corresponding attribute to "cellspacing" of the HTML "<table>" tag. Use it to set the spacing of cells in the grid, i.e. the space around the content of each cell. Default is 0 (no space). "padding" This is the corresponding attribute to "<cellpadding>" of the HTML "<table>" tag. Use it to set the padding between cells in the grid, i.e. the inter-cell space. Default is 0 (no space). "border" This is the corresponding attribute of the HTML "<table>" tag. Use it to set the border width of the grid. Default is 0 (no border). "bgcolor" This is the corresponding attribute of the HTML "<table>" tag. Use it to set the background color of the grid. Default is no specified color. "color" This sets the foreground (text) color of the grid's contents. Actually this sets the default for the same attribute of "<cell>". Default is no specified color. Second the possible attributes for "<cell>": "align" This is the corresponding attribute of the HTML "<td>" tag. Use it to set the horizontal alignment of the cell's contents. Default is taken from the same attribute of "<grid>". "valign" This is the corresponding attribute of the HTML "<td>" tag. Use it to set the vertical alignment of the cell's contents. Default is taken from the same attribute of "<grid>". "bgcolor" This is the corresponding attribute of the HTML "<td>" tag. Use it to set the background color of a particular cell. Default is no specified color. "color" This sets the foreground (text) color of the cell's contents. This is done via the HTML "<font>" tag. Default is no specified color or the color from the same attribute of "<grid>". "rowspan" This is the corresponding attribute of the HTML "<td>" tag. Use it to span a cell over more then one row of the grid. Default is 1 row. "colspan" This is the corresponding attribute of the HTML "<td>" tag. Use it to span a cell over more then one column of the grid. Default is 1 column. "width" This is the corresponding attribute of the HTML "<td>" tag. Use it to set the width of the cell. Default is no specified width. "height" This is the corresponding attribute of the HTML "<td>" tag. Use it to set the height of the cell. Default is no specified height. EXAMPLE
<grid bgcolor="#000000" color="#ffffff" layout="3x2" align="llr" valign="tm"> <cell>A</cell> <cell>B</cell> <cell>C</cell> <cell>D</cell> <cell>E</cell> <cell>F</cell> </grid> AUTHOR
Ralf S. Engelschall rse@engelschall.com www.engelschall.com REQUIRES
Internal: P1, P2, P3, P5 External: -- SEE ALSO
HTML <"table">-tag. EN Tools 2014-04-16 wml::std::grid(3)