Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Reading multiple variables in a loop Post 302953331 by shash on Thursday 27th of August 2015 05:46:18 AM
Old 08-27-2015
Many thanks Rudi & bakunin. Got it working as follows:
Code:
table_name=table1,table2,table3
col_name=col1,col2,col3

OI="$IFS"
IFS=,
table_arr=($table_name)
col_arr=($col_name)
IFS="$OI"

counter=0

while [ $counter -lt ${#table_arr[@]} ] ; do
     echo "TABLE: ${table_arr[$counter]}     COL: ${col_arr[$counter]}"
     (( counter += 1 ))
done

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

for loop with multiple variables ?

I have a script which selects two 'sets' of system LVM device files from a tabular file 'mapfile' using awk : LIVELV=`awk '{print($1)}' mapfile` BCVLV=`awk '{print($3)}' mapfile` I wanted to pass these 'sets' into an LVM command 'loop' along the lines of : lvmerge $BCVLV $LIVELV ie.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: fosterian
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading Multiple Variables From a Single Line in Shell

I'm a Linux newb, I've been running a Debian Linux server for about a year now, and I've written some simple scripts to automate various things, but I still don't know much, and I forget what I learn as fast as I figure it out... Anyway, that really isn't important, I just want you to know that... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: Drek
14 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

While loop with Multiple variables

Hi , I am trying to write a script in kshell with while loop ,its like count=1 count_cmp=1 while ; do tail -$count tempfile | head -1 > tempstring ....... done However i get CIF.sh: line 33: ' I have checked thetrailing spaces , not sure what is... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: amit1_x
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

multiple variables in for loop

hi, I want an equivalent for loop for this C code in unix shell script... for(int i,int j;i<5;i++,j++) { } Please reply soon Regards Navjot (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: navjotsingh
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading multiple values in while loop

I'm having trouble with a simple piece of code. IFS=, echo "1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8" | while read x y do echo "x=$x" echo "y=$y" done I'm hoping for x=1 y=2 x=3 y=4 . . . but I'm getting x=1 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sabbata
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

While loop reading file with multiple conditions

Hi Am trying to print the PIDs of process in a file and trying to grep any PID from that file I set the if condition as $value != "PID" and $value != "-" Assign that number to a variable Am confused since am using while loop to read the line from file and again if condition to check those... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Priya Amaresh
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use for/while loop with multiple variables?

Hi, I have two variables like below which will always be of the same size a=1:2:3 b=A:B:C I need to use a for/while loop that will have both the variables available. I cannot use an array here and will probably might iterate through the variable as echo $a | tr ':' '\n' and thus iterate... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Elizabeth H
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading multiple values from multiple lines and columns and setting them to unique variables.

Hello, I would like to ask for help with csh script. An example of an input in .txt file is below, the number of lines varies from file to file and I have 2 or 3 columns with values. I would like to read all the values (probably one by one) and set them to independent unique variables that... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: FMMOLA
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Loop with multiple delimited variables

hi, i need a portion in a audit logging shell script where i have to loop thru multiple variables. I need some help in accomplishing this. i have 3 variables var1=1,23,234 var2=a,ab,xyz var3=0,0,0 the variables will have variables number of values but same length.(3 in this case ) i... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: rock1
10 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Displaying multiple variables in for loop

Hi! I've run into a problem where my variables are displayed in the wrong order. Basically I'm supposed to use a file that has information like this username:firstname:lastname:etc:etc. What I'm interested in doing is reformating it into a something more like this: username lastname,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: reindeermountai
2 Replies
PMC_CONTROL(2)						      BSD System Calls Manual						    PMC_CONTROL(2)

NAME
pmc_control, pmc_get_info -- Hardware Performance Monitoring Interface LIBRARY
Standard C Library (libc, -lc) SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/pmc.h> int pmc_control(int ctr, int op, void *argp); int pmc_get_info(int ctr, int op, void *argp); DESCRIPTION
pmc_get_info() returns the number of counters in the system or information on a specified counter ctr. The possible values for op are: PMC_INFO_NCOUNTERS When querying the number of counters in the system, ctr is ignored and argp is of type int *. Upon return, the integer pointed to by argp will contain the number of counters that are available in the system. PMC_INFO_CPUCTR_TYPE When querying the type of a counter in the system, ctr refers to the counter being queried, and argp is of type int *. Upon return, the integer pointed to by argp will contain the implementation-dependent type of the specified counter. If ctr is -1, the integer pointed to by argp will contain the machine-dependent type describing the CPU or counter configuration. PMC_INFO_COUNTER_VALUE When querying the value of a counter in the system, ctr refers to the counter being queried, and argp is of type uint64_t *. Upon return, the 64-bit integer pointed to by argp will contain the value of the specified counter. PMC_INFO_ACCUMULATED_COUNTER_VALUE When querying the value of a counter in the system, ctr refers to the counter being queried, and argp is of type uint64_t *. Upon return, the 64-bit integer pointed to by argp will contain the sum of the accumulated values of specified counter in all exited sub- processes of the current process. pmc_control() manipulates the specified counter ctr in one of several fashions. The op parameter determines the action taken by the kernel and also the interpretation of the argp parameter. The possible values for op are: PMC_OP_START Starts the specified ctr running. It must be preceded by a call with PMC_OP_CONFIGURE. argp is ignored in this case and may be NULL. PMC_OP_STOP Stops the specified ctr from running. argp is ignored in this case and may be NULL. PMC_OP_CONFIGURE Configures the specified ctr prior to running. argp is a pointer to a struct pmc_counter_cfg. struct pmc_counter_cfg { pmc_evid_t event_id; pmc_ctr_t reset_value; uint32_t flags; }; event_id is the event ID to be counted. reset_value is a value to which the counter should be reset on overflow (if supported by the implementation). This is most useful when profiling (see PMC_OP_PROFSTART, below). This value is defined to be the number of counter ticks before the next overflow. So, to get a profiling tick on every hundredth data cache miss, set the event_id to the proper value for ``dcache-miss'' and set reset_value to 100. flags Currently unused. PMC_OP_PROFSTART Configures the specified ctr for use in profiling. argp is a pointer to a struct pmc_counter_cfg as in PMC_OP_CONFIGURE, above. This request allocates a kernel counter, which will fail if any process is using the requested counter. Not all implementations or coun- ters may support this option. PMC_OP_PROFSTOP Stops the specified ctr from being used for profiling. argp is ignored in this case and may be NULL. RETURN VALUES
A return value of 0 indicates that the call succeeded. Otherwise, -1 is returned and the global variable errno is set to indicate the error. ERRORS
Among the possible error codes from pmc_control() and pmc_get_info() are [EFAULT] The address specified for the argp is invalid. [ENXIO] Specified counter is not yet configured. [EINPROGRESS] PMC_OP_START was passed for a counter that is already running. [EINVAL] Specified counter was invalid. [EBUSY] If the requested counter is already in use--either by the current process or by the kernel. [ENODEV] If and only if the specified counter event is not valid for the specified counter when configuring a counter or starting profiling. [ENOMEM] If the kernel is unable to allocate memory. SEE ALSO
pmc(1), pmc(9) HISTORY
The pmc_control() and pmc_get_info() system calls appeared in NetBSD 2.0. BSD
October 27, 2005 BSD