Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Shell script for using yum command Post 302953280 by Don Cragun on Wednesday 26th of August 2015 03:20:44 PM
Old 08-26-2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by usamamirza
It is working fine from command line
but not from script.
That tells us nothing useful. We could guess all day at millions of things that might keep a script from working, but the chances that any of them would solve your problem are probably less than 1 in a billion.
  1. Show us the exact commands you are using on the command line that work (in CODE tags).
  2. Show us the exact contents of your shell script (in CODE tags).
  3. Show us exactly how you invoke your shell script (in CODE tags).
  4. Show us the exact output (including any diagnostic messages) produced by your shell script (in CODE tags).
With that information, we stand a MUCH better chance of being able to make suggestions that might help you resolve your problem.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Red Hat

Yum command

Can anyone explain me the use of Yum command in Red hat. Even the rpm command is same as yum command. Let me know if any difference between yum and rpm (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rogerben
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

can anyone help with shell script command about searching word with grep command?

i want to search in the current directory all the files that contain one word for example "hello" i want to achieve it with the grep command but not with the grep * (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aintour
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Python script and yum

Hello to everyone:) This probably is a simple question here(hopefully), but i am trying to learn python, and after much googling cannot find an answer. How can i get yum command to work in the example below Hopefully this is in the right section, if not i apologise Dave (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dave100
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Centos commands: Yum Upgrade versus Yum update

Hi, I would like to know the difference between YUM UPDATE and YUM UPGRADE. The man pages say upgrade is same as update with the obsolete option. And by default it says the obsolete option is turned on, which would make them equivalent. Does not say what obsolete does. Can someone please... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mojoman
3 Replies

5. Linux

Yum update/install script

Any one know of a way to do a yum -install and draw the argument of what to install from a text file? I have a huge list of rpms that I have to install on a bunch of machines and I would like to run one script that goes to each machine and installs all rpms in the list I have. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rd42
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

When i am trying to execute export command within a shell script it is saying command not found.

I am running the export command within a view to use that value inside my build script. But while executing it it is saying "export command not found" My code is as follows: -------------------------- #!/bin/sh user="test" DIR="/bldtmp/"$user VIEW="test.view1" echo "TMPDIR before export... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dchoudhury
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unable to pass shell script variable to awk command in same shell script

I have a shell script (.sh) and I want to pass a parameter value to the awk command but I am getting exception, please assist. diff=$1$2.diff id=$2 new=new_$diff echo "My id is $1" echo "I want to sync for user account $id" ##awk command I am using is as below cat $diff | awk... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ashunayak
2 Replies

8. Solaris

Yum, rpm, apt-get install command not found in Solaris

I am using solaris 10 yum command not found apt-get install command not found rpm command not found how to use yum and apt-get command in solaris how to install dhcp, openldap-servers packages in solaris (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ainstin
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Yum install command -errors

i having this error message when installing a package using yum on red hat 7.2 Please see attachment (21 Replies)
Discussion started by: DOkuwa
21 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Installation of virt-manager while yum update and yum install rhvm does not work

I have downloaded RHEV-H 4.2 Red Hat Virtualization - Red Hat Customer Portal (RHVirtualization 4.2 Host and Manager iso). I uploaded the image and installed on an HP G9 server baremetal. I found I dont have a WAN/net connectivity later on HPG9 server. How can I still install virt-manager on... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Paras Pandey
1 Replies
GIT-DESCRIBE(1) 						    Git Manual							   GIT-DESCRIBE(1)

NAME
git-describe - Show the most recent tag that is reachable from a commit SYNOPSIS
git describe [--all] [--tags] [--contains] [--abbrev=<n>] <committish>... git describe [--all] [--tags] [--contains] [--abbrev=<n>] --dirty[=<mark>] DESCRIPTION
The command finds the most recent tag that is reachable from a commit. If the tag points to the commit, then only the tag is shown. Otherwise, it suffixes the tag name with the number of additional commits on top of the tagged object and the abbreviated object name of the most recent commit. By default (without --all or --tags) git describe only shows annotated tags. For more information about creating annotated tags see the -a and -s options to git-tag(1). OPTIONS
<committish>... Committish object names to describe. --dirty[=<mark>] Describe the working tree. It means describe HEAD and appends <mark> (-dirty by default) if the working tree is dirty. --all Instead of using only the annotated tags, use any ref found in refs/ namespace. This option enables matching any known branch, remote-tracking branch, or lightweight tag. --tags Instead of using only the annotated tags, use any tag found in refs/tags namespace. This option enables matching a lightweight (non-annotated) tag. --contains Instead of finding the tag that predates the commit, find the tag that comes after the commit, and thus contains it. Automatically implies --tags. --abbrev=<n> Instead of using the default 7 hexadecimal digits as the abbreviated object name, use <n> digits, or as many digits as needed to form a unique object name. An <n> of 0 will suppress long format, only showing the closest tag. --candidates=<n> Instead of considering only the 10 most recent tags as candidates to describe the input committish consider up to <n> candidates. Increasing <n> above 10 will take slightly longer but may produce a more accurate result. An <n> of 0 will cause only exact matches to be output. --exact-match Only output exact matches (a tag directly references the supplied commit). This is a synonym for --candidates=0. --debug Verbosely display information about the searching strategy being employed to standard error. The tag name will still be printed to standard out. --long Always output the long format (the tag, the number of commits and the abbreviated commit name) even when it matches a tag. This is useful when you want to see parts of the commit object name in "describe" output, even when the commit in question happens to be a tagged version. Instead of just emitting the tag name, it will describe such a commit as v1.2-0-gdeadbee (0th commit since tag v1.2 that points at object deadbee....). --match <pattern> Only consider tags matching the given glob(7) pattern, excluding the "refs/tags/" prefix. This can be used to avoid leaking private tags from the repository. --always Show uniquely abbreviated commit object as fallback. EXAMPLES
With something like git.git current tree, I get: [torvalds@g5 git]$ git describe parent v1.0.4-14-g2414721 i.e. the current head of my "parent" branch is based on v1.0.4, but since it has a few commits on top of that, describe has added the number of additional commits ("14") and an abbreviated object name for the commit itself ("2414721") at the end. The number of additional commits is the number of commits which would be displayed by "git log v1.0.4..parent". The hash suffix is "-g" + 7-char abbreviation for the tip commit of parent (which was 2414721b194453f058079d897d13c4e377f92dc6). The "g" prefix stands for "git" and is used to allow describing the version of a software depending on the SCM the software is managed with. This is useful in an environment where people may use different SCMs. Doing a git describe on a tag-name will just show the tag name: [torvalds@g5 git]$ git describe v1.0.4 v1.0.4 With --all, the command can use branch heads as references, so the output shows the reference path as well: [torvalds@g5 git]$ git describe --all --abbrev=4 v1.0.5^2 tags/v1.0.0-21-g975b [torvalds@g5 git]$ git describe --all --abbrev=4 HEAD^ heads/lt/describe-7-g975b With --abbrev set to 0, the command can be used to find the closest tagname without any suffix: [torvalds@g5 git]$ git describe --abbrev=0 v1.0.5^2 tags/v1.0.0 Note that the suffix you get if you type these commands today may be longer than what Linus saw above when he ran these commands, as your Git repository may have new commits whose object names begin with 975b that did not exist back then, and "-g975b" suffix alone may not be sufficient to disambiguate these commits. SEARCH STRATEGY
For each committish supplied, git describe will first look for a tag which tags exactly that commit. Annotated tags will always be preferred over lightweight tags, and tags with newer dates will always be preferred over tags with older dates. If an exact match is found, its name will be output and searching will stop. If an exact match was not found, git describe will walk back through the commit history to locate an ancestor commit which has been tagged. The ancestor's tag will be output along with an abbreviation of the input committish's SHA-1. If multiple tags were found during the walk then the tag which has the fewest commits different from the input committish will be selected and output. Here fewest commits different is defined as the number of commits which would be shown by git log tag..input will be the smallest number of commits possible. GIT
Part of the git(1) suite Git 1.8.3.1 06/10/2014 GIT-DESCRIBE(1)