Sponsored Content
Operating Systems OS X (Apple) A Fun Perfect Square Checker Using Integer Arithmetic Only... ;o) Post 302952995 by bakunin on Monday 24th of August 2015 08:11:16 PM
Old 08-24-2015
OK, here is another take at finding the square root: it does not use any operation other than subtraction/addition and it is no approximation method.

The math is simple: we know that

Code:
           2    2          2
  ( a + b )  = a  + 2ab + b

or, in the special case of b = 1:

Code:
           2    2          
  ( n + 1 )  = n  + 2n + 1

which we can more conveniently write as:

Code:
           2    2
  ( n + 1 )  = n  + n + ( n + 1 ))

This means that
Code:
   n
  \   2i + 1   = n
  /__ 
  i=0

In less mathematical terms: we have two counters, x and y. We start with x=0, y=1 and we add them both to a sum, incrementing the counters at each pass. Here is a little table:

Code:
  Pass  x y   sum
  1     0 1     1
  2     1 2     4
  3     2 3     9
  4     3 4    16

As you can see the "y"-column always holds the root to the square in the "sum"-column.

To find the root i simply reversed that and subtracted (instead of added) from the value originally given down to 0. The code is very simple:

Code:
#! /bin/bash

typeset -i iInput=$1
typeset -i iCnt1=0
typeset -i iCnt2=1

while [ $iInput -gt 0 ] ; do
     (( iInput = iInput - iCnt1 ))
     if [ $iInput -lt $iCnt2 ] ; then
          echo "Not a perfect square."
          exit 0
     fi
     (( iInput = iInput - iCnt2 ))
     (( iCnt1++ ))
     (( iCnt2++ ))
done

echo Solution: $iCnt1

exit 0

bakunin

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

extraction of perfect text from file.

Hi All, I have a file of the following format. <?xml version='1.0' encoding='utf-8'?> <tomcat-users> <role rolename="tomcat"/> <role rolename="role1"/> <role rolename="manager"/> <role rolename="admin"/> <user username="tomcat" password="tomcat" roles="tomcat"/> <user... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nua7
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

A perfect number shell program

Here's my work of testing whether a number input is perfect or not.. echo Enter a number read no i=1 ans=0 while do if then ans='expr $ans + $i' fi i='expr $i + 1' done if then echo $no is perfect else echo $no is NOT perfect fi (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cyansnow
12 Replies

3. AIX

I want the perfect user-interface

I've got an aix-box somewhere on the network and a PC on my desk. Nothing fancy so far. The PC is made dual-boot: - windowsXP with putty & winSCP or - slackware 13 with xfce4 installed. The aix-box runs DB2 v8.2 and I've installed db2top to monitor the database. db2top is a character... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: dr_te_z
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete text between square brackets and also delete those square brackets using sed or awk

Hi All, I have a text file which looks like this: computer programming systems engineering I want to get rid of these square brackets and also the text that is inside these brackets. So that my final text file looks like this: computer programming systems engineering I am using... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shoaibjameel123
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to compare string integer with an integer?

hi, how to I do this? i="4.000" if ; then echo "smaller" fi how do I convert the "4.000" to 4? Thanks! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: h0ujun
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Can you perfect my sed ?

I want to print only the lines that meet the criteria : "worde:" and "wordo;" I got this far: sed -n '/\(*\)\1e:\1o;/p;' But it doesn't quite work. Can someone please perfect it and tell me exactly how its a fixed version/what was wrong with mine? Thanks heaps, (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: maximus73
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

egrep line with perfect mach

Hi Input File A L006 AL01 0 (OCK) L006 A006 0 (OCK) L011 AR11 1 (NLOCK) Input File B L006 AL01 0 (OCK) L006 A006 0 (OCK) Need Egrep Command for perfect Match Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: asavaliya
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Not able to find the perfect code...Geting confused in between

I have to find last delimiter in each line of a file and store the value after the last '/' in a variable in ksh script...Pls Pls help me:(The file is as shown below: /opt/apps/cobqa/apps/abadv/bind/advc0007.bnd /opt/apps/cobqa/apps/abbrio/bind/naac6115.bnd... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhavanabahety
5 Replies
Locale::Codes::LangFam(3pm)				 Perl Programmers Reference Guide			       Locale::Codes::LangFam(3pm)

NAME
Locale::Codes::LangFam - standard codes for language extension identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Codes::LangFam; $lext = code2langfam('apa'); # $lext gets 'Apache languages' $code = langfam2code('Apache languages'); # $code gets 'apa' @codes = all_langfam_codes(); @names = all_langfam_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Codes::LangFam" module provides access to standard codes used for identifying language families, such as those as defined in ISO 639-5. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default ISO 639-5 language family codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying language families. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $lext = code2langfam('apa','alpha'); $lext = code2langfam('apa',LOCALE_LANGFAM_ALPHA); The codesets currently supported are: alpha This is the set of three-letter (lowercase) codes from ISO 639-5 such as 'apa' for Apache languages. This is the default code set. ROUTINES
code2langfam ( CODE [,CODESET] ) langfam2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) langfam_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_langfam_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_langfam_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::rename_langfam ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::rename_langfam_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.loc.gov/standards/iso639-5/id.php ISO 639-5 . AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2011-2013 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.18.2 2013-11-04 Locale::Codes::LangFam(3pm)