Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Find command take too long
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Find command take too long Post 302952827 by mohtashims on Saturday 22nd of August 2015 02:08:12 PM
Old 08-22-2015
find . -type l -print does not yields any output meaning i have no soft links.

The below seems to have helped to an extent that i guess i can see more folders that I was not able to in my OP script.

Code:
find . -type d -depth -print |while read rec
do
  echo "mkdir $rec"
  echo "chmod -R 777 $rec"
#done
done >> tryx.sh

However, one problem with this script is that it records the mkdir sub-directory before the mkdir parent-directory in the tryx.sh making it to fail.

So basically it mkdir hello/customer before mkdir hello making it fail.

Quote:
more tryx.sh

mkdir ./hello/customer
chmod -R 777 "hello/customer"
mkdir ./hello
chmod -R 777 "hello"
I did not try the cpio option as i m not familiar with it and not sure if it will really help in the problem mentioned in this post.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

command find returned bash: /usr/bin/find: Argument list too long

Hello, I create a file touch 1201093003 fichcomp and inside a repertory (which hava a lot of files) I want to list all files created before this file : find *.* \! -maxdepth 1 - newer fichcomp but this command returned bash: /usr/bin/find: Argument list too long but i make a filter all... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yacsil
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find/Change long text

If I have very large text file *************** *************** *************** *************** *************** ABC-sdfsdf BBB-xk[ptr'; CCC-sdfolb ABC-dltg'fl;l My aim: -> tail last 10 lines from large text. ***** Ok ***** -> Change first 3 charactors which begin with "ABC" to "abc".... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aungomarin
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with find command and list in a long format each found file

The purpose of those comands are to find the newest file in a directory acvrdind to system date, and it has to be recursively found in each directory. The problem is that i want to list in a long format every found file, but the commands i use produce unexpected results ,so the output lists in a... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: alexcol
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Long listing of files using find command on remote server via SSH

Hi , I am trying to find some files on a remote machine using the find command. >ssh -q atukuri@remotehostname find /home/atukuri/ -name abc.txt /home/atukuri/abc.txt The above command works fine and lists the file, but if I want to do a long listing of files (ls -l) its not working . ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: atukuri
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find and rename long file names (html)

Hi Guys, I need a help. I have 1130 zip files. Each one of them has files including 1 html file with long file name (includes special charactors, Alphabetic and numbers). I have copied all 1130 zip files to my linux system and extracted using below command. Find . -name "*.zip" -exec... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rajmani
7 Replies

6. Solaris

How to find out bottleneck if system is taking long time in gzip

Dear All, OS = Solaris 5.10 Hardware Sun Fire T2000 with 1 Ghz quode core We have oracle application 11i with 10g database. When ever i am trying to take cold backup of database with 55GB size its taking long time to finish. As the application is down nobody is using the server at all... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: yoojamu
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

find 3 character long text

I was trying to do some experiment with "sed". I want to find the filenames which are three characters. So, this is what I have done to search for it, using sed. sed -n -e '/^\{3\}$/p' test This returns the correct output for characters. But if I make change, let's say i create 2 more... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aksijain
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

find only 6 char long

find /tmp -type f -mtime +180 I have this script get the list to clean up files older than 180 days under /tmp. But, I want to make sure to grep only a type of files, which have only 6 character long. .... LT3hqa dRMoya ... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: Daniel Gate
16 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Find command takes too long to complete

Hi, Below is my find command find /opt/app/websphere -name myfolder -perm -600 | wc -l At time it even takes 20 mins to complete. my OS is : SunOS mypc 5.10 Generic_150400-09 sun4v sparc SUNW,T5440 (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
10 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find command takes long

Hi, I am trying to search for a Directory called "mont" under a directory path "/opt/app/var/dumps" Although "mont" is in the very parent directory called "dumps" i.e "/opt/app/var/dumps/mont" and it can never be inside any Sub-Directory of "dumps"; my below find command which also checks... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
5 Replies
script(1)							   User Commands							 script(1)

NAME
script - make record of a terminal session SYNOPSIS
script [-a] [filename] DESCRIPTION
The script utility makes a record of everything printed on your screen. The record is written to filename. If no file name is given, the record is saved in the file typescript. See WARNINGS. The script command forks and creates a sub-shell, according to the value of $SHELL, and records the text from this session. The script ends when the forked shell exits or when Control-d is typed. OPTIONS
The following option is supported: -a Appends the session record to filename, rather than overwriting it. NOTES
script places everything that appears on the screen in filename, including prompts. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |Enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
attributes(5) WARNINGS
script can pose a security risk when used in directories that are writable by other users (for example, /tmp), especially when run by a privileged user, that is, root. Be sure that typescript is not a link before running script. SunOS 5.10 30 Jan 2004 script(1)