Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting SUID works for shell scripts?? Post 302952745 by Don Cragun on Friday 21st of August 2015 10:57:51 AM
Old 08-21-2015
As has been said before, it is always a good idea to tell us what operating system you're using (in addition to the shell you're using) when you ask a question here. We can give you much more responsive suggestions if we know the environment you're using...

Even on systems that allow set-UID and/or set-GID scripts, most of them won't allow it when users other than the file's owner (especially for set-UID scripts) and/or groups other than the file's group (especially for set-GID scripts) can write to the file containing the script.

If you can get user2 to change the mode of script.sh from mode 4777 to mode 4755, you might get it to work on some systems.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

is SUID disabled for shell

Hi, I have two file in my directory. "catter" file contains "cat ./file". And "file" contails "Hi ashish". I have SUID bit set for catter file. But when a different user in my group runs file catter, shell displays "Permission denied" message. I just want to know can use of suid bit be... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shriashishpatil
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

substring command works but only in BASH shell

I am having trouble running a .sh file. The code 'x=${file_name:0:$z-11}' is giving me a bad substitution error. However when I run in BASH it works. Thing is when this goes to production the .sh will not be running in BASH. Is there a way to substring a string not in BASH or a way to invoke... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: edwardtk11
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Execution issue with shell script - works in a different environment

Hi I get the following error while executing the shell script. I did not get an error when I ran the script in a different environment (unix server). str-token.ksh: 0403-057 Syntax error at line 20 : `(' is not expected. This is the line which gives error string=(${pos_array}) Please find... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hidnana
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Works in shell but not script UNIX

ok i have a very simple UNIX script #!/bin/bash TERM=ansi;export TERM PFCMARK=25;export PFCMARK umask 0000 PFUMASK=000;export PFUMASK #run for filepro menus and exectuables echo "###########File Modification Log.############\r" > "/public/appl-fp$(date +%m-%d-%Y).txt" find /appl/fp/... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: dunpealslyr
10 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

how the typeset command works in shell script

typeset -l section section=${2:-.} what does these 2 lines meaning? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: venkatababu
1 Replies

6. UNIX and Linux Applications

Rsync works in shell but not in cron

So I have this rsync script I wrote to grab some sql files and import them to a database. I left in the mysql stuff just give context to the situation. The real problem is with my rsync code. script.sh (chmod 744) #!/bin/sh rsync -av --rsh="sshpass -p'PASSWORD' ssh -l'USERNAME'"... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: noPermissions
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How does a if works in shell

Hi, I need to compare and get an output for values greater than "X10" (values contain both characters and numbers) using if loop... FOR EG: I want to export values greater than X10, i.e., in-case if the value is X11 and greater than the "if" part to be executed if the value is X9 and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shivashankar_S
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

variable assigment not works in shell script

Hi, The following assigment is not working within shell script but is working from command line. Could anybody advise why? OS - solaris 8 APPL=`grep "$Application" ldapapps |awk '{print $1}'` echo $APPL (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: urello
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl: Command works in terminal, but not in shell script

Hi, the following command works in the terminal no problem. samtools view -h rawlib.bam | perl -ne '{ @line = split( /\s+/ ); $match = 0; while( $line =~ /(\d+)M/g ) { $match = $match + $1 } if( $match >= 80 || $_ =~ /^\@/ ) { print $_ } }' | java -Xmx12G -jar... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: jdilts
8 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Difference between inbuilt suid programs and user defined root suid programs under bash shell?

Hey guys, Suppose i run passwd via bash shell. It is a suid program, which temporarily runs as root(owner) and modifies the user entries. However, when i write a C file and give 4755 permission and root ownership to the 'a.out' file , it doesn't run as root in bash shell. I verified this by... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: syncmaster
2 Replies
CHECKBASHISMS(1)					      General Commands Manual						  CHECKBASHISMS(1)

NAME
checkbashisms - check for bashisms in /bin/sh scripts SYNOPSIS
checkbashisms script ... checkbashisms --help|--version DESCRIPTION
checkbashisms, based on one of the checks from the lintian system, performs basic checks on /bin/sh shell scripts for the possible presence of bashisms. It takes the names of the shell scripts on the command line, and outputs warnings if possible bashisms are detected. Note that the definition of a bashism in this context roughly equates to "a shell feature that is not required to be supported by POSIX"; this means that some issues flagged may be permitted under optional sections of POSIX, such as XSI or User Portability. In cases where POSIX and Debian Policy disagree, checkbashisms by default allows extensions permitted by Policy but may also provide options for stricter checking. OPTIONS
--help, -h Show a summary of options. --newline, -n Check for "echo -n" usage (non POSIX but required by Debian Policy 10.4.) --posix, -p Check for issues which are non POSIX but required to be supported by Debian Policy 10.4 (implies -n). --force, -f Force each script to be checked, even if it would normally not be (for instance, it has a bash or non POSIX shell shebang or appears to be a shell wrapper). --extra, -x Highlight lines which, whilst they do not contain bashisms, may be useful in determining whether a particular issue is a false posi- tive which may be ignored. For example, the use of "$BASH_ENV" may be preceded by checking whether "$BASH" is set. --version, -v Show version and copyright information. EXIT VALUES
The exit value will be 0 if no possible bashisms or other problems were detected. Otherwise it will be the sum of the following error val- ues: 1 A possible bashism was detected. 2 A file was skipped for some reason, for example, because it was unreadable or not found. The warning message will give details. SEE ALSO
lintian(1). AUTHOR
checkbashisms was originally written as a shell script by Yann Dirson <dirson@debian.org> and rewritten in Perl with many more features by Julian Gilbey <jdg@debian.org>. DEBIAN
Debian Utilities CHECKBASHISMS(1)