Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Print one sentence 40 to 50 words end with period in a file Post 302952122 by lxdorney on Thursday 13th of August 2015 10:11:09 PM
Old 08-13-2015
Thanks for the reply, is working but the script print all matches on the range I only need the first match. is there additional to your script to work?, like in
Code:
grep -m 1

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to find capital letter names in a file without finding words at start of sentence

Hi, I want to be able to list all the names in a file which begin with a capital letter, but I don't want it to list words that begin a new sentence. Is there any way round this? Thanks for your help. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kev269
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print starting 3rd line until end of the file.

Hi, I want to Print starting 3rd line until end of the file. Pls let me know the command. Thanks in advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: smc3
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

insert period at the end of each line

file1 contains: this is a test this is a test and only a test this is another test this is another test and only another only i'd like my file to look like this: this is a test. this is a test and only a test. this is another test. this is another test and only another only. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: tjmannonline
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help in script; [ script to control a sentence & its words ]

Hello friends, I am looking for any sed/awk/python script that can identify the position of a character or word in a file. Well, I prefer sed. <space> is a tab space since I actually dont know how to make the forum editor display a space as such. Sample text ----------- ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: frozensmilz
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trim the sentence containing colon and period to extract a word in between

Hello All , i am a newbie in korn shell scripting trying to trim a sentence that is parsed into a variable . The format of the sentence has three words that are separated from other by a " : " colon and "." period . Format of the sentence looks like ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: venu
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

print in incremental order a sentence

Dear help! I want to print The number i is number i let i=1 to 5 output should be like The number 1 is number 1 The number 2 is number 2 The number 3 is number 3 The number 4 is number 4 The number 5 is number 5 Would be gr8 if you mke this with awk Thanks (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Indra2011
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print file end

Hello All, I have file names in a directory that ends this way File Names in the directory abc.log.1.txt abc.log.2.txt abc.log.3.txt I want to print the 1, 2 and 3 in the file names as the first column in my output, and some contents of the files as second and fourth columns. I wrote... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jacobs.smith
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

match sentence and word adn fetch similar words in alist

Hi all, I have ot match sentence list and word list anf fetch similar words in a separate file second file with 2 columns So I want the output shuld be 2 columns like this (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: manigrover
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk Adding a Period at the end of a line

I started venturing in learning the art of using AWK/GAWK and wanted to simply added a period from line #11 to line #28 or to the end of the file if there is data. So for example: 11 Centos.NM 12 dojo1 13 redhat.5.5.32Bit 14 redhat.6.2.64Bit... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: metallica1973
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Add words in beginning , end after removing a word in a file

My file has the entries like below... /dev/sds /dev/sdak /dev/sdbc /dev/sdbu I want to make the file like below echo 1 > /sys/block/sds/device/rescan echo 1 > /sys/block/sdak/device/rescan echo 1 > /sys/block/sdbc/device/rescan echo 1 > /sys/block/sdbu/device/rescan (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: saravanapandi
2 Replies
ZGREP(1)						      General Commands Manual							  ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep - search possibly compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
zgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
Zgrep invokes grep on compressed or gzipped files. These grep options will cause zgrep to terminate with an error code: (-[drRzZ]|--di*|--exc*|--inc*|--rec*|--nu*). All other options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is specified, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, zgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. EXIT CODE
2 - An option that is not supported was specified. AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca) SEE ALSO
grep(1), gzexe(1), gzip(1), zdiff(1), zforce(1), zmore(1), znew(1) ZGREP(1)