Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Newbie question: modulo operator with negative operand, bug or feature? Post 302951887 by Scrutinizer on Tuesday 11th of August 2015 11:49:56 AM
Old 08-11-2015
I tried every shell I could find and the answer was:
Code:
$ dash modtest
The result of A % B should be an integer in the range 0 to B-1
(9-7) % 5 = 2 (should be 2).
(7-9) % 5 = -2 (should be 3).

across all POSIX shells, dash (Debian Almquist Shell), bash, ksh88, ksh93, zsh...

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Operator question

I need to find out if a variable contains a certain text string, then do something about it. Here is what I mean, but I don't know how to get a "contains" operator # We have volumes called: # /Volumes/BackupsA_K # /Volumes/BackupsL_Z # /Volumes/Backups_Admin # (could be more, etc)... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: TheCrunge
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

syntax error: `-a' unexpected operator/operand in IF

When i tyr this, it gives me a syntax error...i tried removing quotes,removing spaces,replacing -eq with '='.. Can somebody suggest that is the problem? if ]; then (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dba.admin2008
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX newbie NEWBIE question!

Hello everyone, Just started UNIX today! In our school we use solaris. I just want to know how do I setup Solaris 10 not the GUI one, the one where you have to type the commands like ECHO, ls, pwd, etc... I have windows xp and I also have vmware. I hope I am not missing anything! :p (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hanamachi
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl newbie . &&..programming newbie (question 2)

Hello everyone, I am having to do a lot of perl scripting these days and I am learning a lot. I have this problem I want to move files from a folder and all its sub folders to one parent folder, they are all .gz files.. there is folder1\folder2\*.gz and there are about 50 folders... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: xytiz
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

OR operator syntax question in AWK script

Hi guys, I confused about syntax used in OR script as follow: I have this sample file separated by "|" containing: January|Month No. 1 February|Month No. 2 March|Month No. 3 April|Month No. 4 May|Month No. 5 June|Month No. 6 July|Month No. 7 August|Month No. 8 September|Month No. 9... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: cgkmal
11 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Modulo calculation in shell script

hi i am writing a progrm to print the even numbers and the code which i am following is as follows #!/usr/bin/bash echo "enter a number a" read a if then echo "the number is even" else echo "the number is odd" fi ~ what is the mistake i am doing ...please tell me (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: harjinder
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assignment operator without operand

Does anyone know how this line in bash works? local gotbase= force= nicelevel corelimit local pid base= user= nice= bg= pid_file= local cgroup= These lines are part of the daemon function inside the "functions" file at /etc/init.d in RH. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rameshck
3 Replies

8. What is on Your Mind?

Bug Reporting and Feature Request Tracking on GitHub

Dear All, I created a "new public repo" on GitHub (without the code for now but will post the code there as needed if anyone wants to fix a bug) You can report any forum bugs and report issues in the GitHub "Issues Tab" for this repo here: https://github.com/unixneo/unix.com.bugtracker ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
0 Replies
Tk_GetDash(3tk) 					       Tk Library Procedures						   Tk_GetDash(3tk)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
Tk_GetDash - convert from string to valid dash structure. SYNOPSIS
#include <tk.h> int Tk_GetDash(interp, string, dashPtr) ARGUMENTS
Tcl_Interp *interp (in) Interpreter to use for error reporting. const char * string (in) Textual value to be converted. Tk_Dash *dashPtr (out) Points to place to store the dash pattern value converted from string. _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
These procedure parses the string and fills in the result in the Tk_Dash structure. The string can be a list of integers or a character string containing only ".,-_" or spaces. If all goes well, TCL_OK is returned. If string does not have the proper syntax then TCL_ERROR is returned, an error message is left in the interpreter's result, and nothing is stored at *dashPtr. The first possible syntax is a list of integers. Each element represents the number of pixels of a line segment. Only the odd segments are drawn using the "outline" color. The other segments are drawn transparent. The second possible syntax is a character list containing only 5 possible characters ".,-_ ". The space can be used to enlarge the space between other line elements, and can not occur as the first position in the string. Some examples: -dash . = -dash {2 4} -dash - = -dash {6 4} -dash -. = -dash {6 4 2 4} -dash -.. = -dash {6 4 2 4 2 4} -dash {. } = -dash {2 8} -dash , = -dash {4 4} The main difference of this syntax with the previous is that it is shape-conserving. This means that all values in the dash list will be multiplied by the line width before display. This assures that "." will always be displayed as a dot and "-" always as a dash regardless of the line width. On systems where only a limited set of dash patterns, the dash pattern will be displayed as the most close dash pattern that is available. For example, on Windows only the first 4 of the above examples are available. The last 2 examples will be displayed identically as the first one. KEYWORDS
dash, conversion Tk 8.3 Tk_GetDash(3tk)