Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Sequence extraction
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Sequence extraction Post 302951309 by Scrutinizer on Wednesday 5th of August 2015 03:39:48 AM
Old 08-05-2015
Maybe because FS is set to '\t' and there appear to be no TABs in your second sample file, so the fields will not match. And you are setting the index to the entire record, save the first character. which is probably not what you want (you probably meant to use $1 here, but that would not be a sure way to do it either, because in the FASTA format the identifier is allowed to contain spaces). And the FASTA file is word wrapped, so you need to take out the newlines and not use getline to get only the second line ....

The best way to do that is is to use ">" as a record separator and use "\n" as the field separator. By setting OFS as the empty string, and assigning a value to one of the fields, all newlines will be replaced by empty strings, so this will effectively remove the word wrap. And the sequence will become one continuous string, which will make it suitable for substring selection.

Using your file order, we would get something like this.
Code:
awk 'NR==FNR{i=$1; $1=x; A[i]=$0; next} $1 in A{print ">" $1 ORS substr(A[$1], $2, $3-$2+1)}' RS=\> FS='\n' OFS= file1 FS=" " RS="\n" file2

If we read the files the other way around, then it becomes more memory efficient:
Code:
awk 'NR==FNR{S[$1]=$2; E[$1]=$3; next} $1 in S{i=$1; $1=x; print RS i FS substr($0,S[i],E[i]-S[i]+1)}' file2 RS=\> FS='\n' OFS= file1

Last edited by Scrutinizer; 08-05-2015 at 04:52 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with tar extraction!

I have this tar file which has files of (.ksh, .ini &.sql) and their hard and soft links. Later when the original files and their directories are deleted (or rather lost as in a system crash), I have this tar file as the only source to restore all of them. In such a case when I do, tar... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: manthasirisha
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK extraction

Hi all, I have a data file from which i would like to extract only certain fields, which are not adjacent to each other. Following is the format of data file (data.txt) that i have, which has about 6 fields delimited by "|" HARRIS|23|IT|PROGRAMMER|CHICAGO|EMP JOHN|35|IT|JAVA|NY|CON... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: harris2107
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

extraction of last but one char

I need to extract the character before the last "|" in the following lines, which are 'N' and 'U'. The last "|" shouldn't be extracted. Also the no.s of "|" may vary in a line, but I need only the character before the last one. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: hidnana
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regex extraction

Hello, I need your help to extract text from following: ./sherg_fyd_rur:blkabl="R23.21_BL2008_0122_1" ./serge_a75:rlwual="/main/r23.21=26-Mar-2008.05:00:20UTC@R11.31_BL2008_0325" ./serge_a75:blkabl="R23.21_BL2008_0325" ./sherg_proto_npiv:bkguals="R23.21_BL2008_0302 I80_11.31_LR" I... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: abdurrouf
11 Replies

5. Programming

extraction from a path

Hi, Can you help me on this two problems? how can i get : from input: /ect/exp/hom/bin ==> output: exp and from input: aex1234 =====>output: ex thanks, (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yeclota
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

extraction

I have following input @xxxxxx@ I want to extract what's between @....@ that is : xxxx using SED command (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: xerox
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

fast sequence extraction

Hi everyone, I have a large text file containing DNA sequences in fasta format as follows: >someseq GAACTTGAGATCCGGGGAGCAGTGGATCTC CACCAGCGGCCAGAACTGGTGCACCTCCAG GCCAGCCTCGTCCTGCGTGTC >another seq GGCATTTTTGTGTAATTTTTGGCTGGATGAGGT GACATTTTCATTACTACCATTTTGGAGTACA >seq3450... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Fahmida
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

find common entries and match the number with long sequence and cut that sequence in output

Hi all, I have a file like this ID 3BP5L_HUMAN Reviewed; 393 AA. AC Q7L8J4; Q96FI5; Q9BQH8; Q9C0E3; DT 05-FEB-2008, integrated into UniProtKB/Swiss-Prot. DT 05-JUL-2004, sequence version 1. DT 05-SEP-2012, entry version 71. FT COILED 59 140 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: manigrover
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

String Extraction

I am trying to extract a time from the below string in perl but not able to get the time properly I just want to extract the time from the above line I am using the below syntax x=~ /(.*) (\d+)\:(\d+)\:(\d+),(.*)\.com/ $time = $2 . ':' . $3 . ':' . $4; print $time Can... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: karan8810
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extraction of upstream and downstream regions from long sequence file

Hello, here I am posting my query again with modified data input files. see my query is : i have two input files file1 and file2. file1 is smalldata.fasta >gi|546671471|gb|AWWX01449637.1| Bubalus bubalis breed Mediterranean WGS:AWWX01:contig449636, whole genome shotgun sequence... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: harpreetmanku04
20 Replies
Bio::ASN1::Sequence::Indexer(3pm)			User Contributed Perl Documentation			 Bio::ASN1::Sequence::Indexer(3pm)

NAME
Bio::ASN1::Sequence::Indexer - Indexes NCBI Sequence files. SYNOPSIS
use Bio::ASN1::Sequence::Indexer; # creating & using the index is just a few lines my $inx = Bio::ASN1::Sequence::Indexer->new( -filename => 'seq.idx', -write_flag => 'WRITE'); # needed for make_index call, but if opening # existing index file, don't set write flag! $inx->make_index('seq1.asn', 'seq2.asn'); my $seq = $inx->fetch('AF093062'); # Bio::Seq obj for Sequence (doesn't work yet) # alternatively, if one prefers just a data structure instead of objects $seq = $inx->fetch_hash('AF093062'); # a hash produced by Bio::ASN1::Sequence # that contains all data in the Sequence record PREREQUISITE
Bio::ASN1::Sequence, Bioperl and all dependencies therein. INSTALLATION
Same as Bio::ASN1::EntrezGene DESCRIPTION
Bio::ASN1::Sequence::Indexer is a Perl Indexer for NCBI Sequence genome databases. It processes an ASN.1-formatted Sequence record and stores the file position for each record in a way compliant with Bioperl standard (in fact its a subclass of Bioperl's index objects). Note that this module does not parse record, because it needs to run fast and grab only the gene ids. For parsing record, use Bio::ASN1::Sequence. As with Bio::ASN1::Sequence, this module is best thought of as beta version - it works, but is not fully tested. SEE ALSO
Please check out perldoc for Bio::ASN1::EntrezGene for more info. AUTHOR
Dr. Mingyi Liu <mingyi.liu@gpc-biotech.com> COPYRIGHT
The Bio::ASN1::EntrezGene module and its related modules and scripts are copyright (c) 2005 Mingyi Liu, GPC Biotech AG and Altana Research Institute. All rights reserved. I created these modules when working on a collaboration project between these two companies. Therefore a special thanks for the two companies to allow the release of the code into public domain. You may use and distribute them under the terms of the Perl itself or GPL (<http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html>). CITATION
Liu, M and Grigoriev, A(2005) "Fast Parsers for Entrez Gene" Bioinformatics. In press OPERATION SYSTEMS SUPPORTED
Any OS that Perl & Bioperl run on. METHODS
fetch Parameters: $geneid - id for the Sequence record to be retrieved Example: my $hash = $indexer->fetch(10); # get Sequence #10 Function: fetch the data for the given Sequence id. Returns: A Bio::Seq object produced by Bio::SeqIO::sequence Notes: Bio::SeqIO::sequence does not exist and probably won't exist for a while! So call fetch_hash instead fetch_hash Parameters: $seqid - id for the Sequence record to be retrieved Example: my $hash = $indexer->fetch_hash('AF093062'); Function: fetch a hash produced by Bio::ASN1::Sequence for given id Returns: A data structure containing all data items from the Sequence record. Notes: Alternative to fetch() _file_handle Title : _file_handle Usage : $fh = $index->_file_handle( INT ) Function: Returns an open filehandle for the file index INT. On opening a new filehandle it caches it in the @{$index->_filehandle} array. If the requested filehandle is already open, it simply returns it from the array. Example : $fist_file_indexed = $index->_file_handle( 0 ); Returns : ref to a filehandle Args : INT Notes : This function is copied from Bio::Index::Abstract. Once that module changes file handle code like I do below to fit perl 5.005_03, this sub would be removed from this module perl v5.14.2 2005-05-04 Bio::ASN1::Sequence::Indexer(3pm)