Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Bash detecting number of digits in line Post 302950144 by rbatte1 on Tuesday 21st of July 2015 10:40:06 AM
Old 07-21-2015
So can I just clarify the rules:-
  • You only want DTM & QTY records
  • Input is delimited by + or :
  • Trailing ' is ignored
  • DTM records are output as DTM07 with space separated fields of length 5, 2, 8, 29 (right justified)
  • QTY records are output with fields of length 6 (left justified), 3, 15 (zero padded), 5 (left justified)
How would you like to have the code written? What are you most comfortable in? Options include awk, sed, perl, ksh script, C, others?

Think about what you would like to support in the future.

Sorry for so many questions,
Robin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count number of digits in a word

Hi all Can anybody suggest me, how to get the count of digits in a word I tried WORD=abcd1234 echo $WORD | grep -oE ] | wc -l 4 It works in bash command line, but not in scripts :mad: (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: ./hari.sh
12 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Printing the line number in bash script

Hi, I would like to know how do I print the line # in a script. My requirement is, I have a script which is about ~5000 lines long. If there are any errors happen I just exit. And I would like to add the line # of the script where the error happened. Thanks, (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: suryaemlinux
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

number of digits after decimal

Hi All, I have a file of decimal numbers, cat file1.txt 1.1382666907 1.2603107334 1.6118799297 24.4995857056 494.7632588468 560.7633734425 ..... I want to see the output as only 7 digits after decimal (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: senayasma
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Detecting key combination in bash

I need to grab key combination from a bash script and store it in a variable. Is there any way to do this? Thanks in advance! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: prism1
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to delete lines above a certin line number in bash shell

Hi, I have written a script that returns the line number of the pattern i want and i stored the line number in a variable(getlinenumber).Now i want to delete all the lines in a file above this line number which is stored in a variable. i am using sed '1,$getlinenumberd' > file1.txt which is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: learninguser235
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to delete lines above a certin line number in bash shell

Hi, I have written a script that returns the line number of the pattern i want and i stored the line number in a variable.Now i want to delete all the lines in a file above this line number which is stored in a variable. i am using sed '1,$getlinenumberd' > file1.txt which is not working(wrog... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: learninguser235
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

summing the digits of a binary nuMBER

please help me write a perl program to find the difference of 1 and zeros of a 6 digit binary number. eg If input is 111100 expected output +2 if input is 000011 expected output -2 input is 000111 expected output 0 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dll_fpga
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

extracting Number variable and the following digits.

HI all, I have output of something like this: crab: ExitCodes Summary >>>>>>>>> 12 Jobs with Wrapper Exit Code : 50117 List of jobs: 1-12 See https:///twiki/something/ for Exit Code meaning crab: ExitCodes Summary >>>>>>>>> 5 Jobs with Wrapper Exit Code : 8001 List of... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: emily
20 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk changes to cut number of digits

HCPM1ONDB00014800011800000589009211201 L201307022013070228AUD 00000000031. 000965105800000000000000000000000 MOBITV KEYA ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mirwasim
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find number of digits in a word

HI, Can you tell me how to find the number of digits in a word. $cat data.txt +123456ad 87645768 Output should be 6 8 (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ashwin3086
5 Replies
DPKG-RUBY(1)						      General Commands Manual						      DPKG-RUBY(1)

NAME
dpkg-ruby - Utility to read a dpkg style db file, dpkg-awk clone SYNOPSIS
dpkg-ruby [(-f|--file) filename] [(-d|--debug) ##] [(-s|--sort) list] [(-n|--numeric) list] [(-rs|--rec_sep) ??] '<fieldname>:<regex>' ... -- <out_fieldname> .. DESCRIPTION
dpkg-ruby Parses a dpkg status file(or other similarly formated file) and outputs the resulting records. It can use regex on the field values to limit the returned records, and it can also be told which fields to output. As another option, it can sort the matched fields. OPTIONS
-f filename --file filename The file to parse. The default is /var/lib/dpkg/status. -d [#] --debug [#] Each time this is specified, it increased the debug level. -s field(s) --sort field(s) A space or comma separated list of fields to sort on. -n field(s) --numeric field(s) A space or comma separated list of fields that should be interpreted as numeric in value. -rs ?? --rec_sep ?? Output this string at the end of each output paragraph. -h --help Display some help. fieldname The fields from the file, that are matched with the regex given. The fieldnames are case insensitive. out_fieldname The fields from the file, that are outputted for each record. If the first field listed is begins with ^, then the list that fol- lows are fields NOT to be outputted. BUGS
Be warned that the author has only a shallow understanding of the dpkg packaging system, so there are probably tons of bugs in this pro- gram. This program comes with no warranties. If running this program causes fire and brimstone to rain down upon the earth, you will be on our own. This program accesses the dpkg database directly in places, querying for data that cannot be gotten via dpkg. AUTHOR
Fumitoshi UKAI <ukai@debian.or.jp>. This manual page are based on (or almost copy from :) dpkg-awk(1) manual written by Adam Heath <doo- gie@debian.org> DEBIAN
Debian Utilities DPKG-RUBY(1)