Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Question using 2 variables in a "for" statement Post 302949814 by scotm on Thursday 16th of July 2015 10:28:08 AM
Old 07-16-2015
Question using 2 variables in a "for" statement

Thank you everyone!
I've been testing all week (with success) using a derivative of scrutinizer's code. I only needed a small change to my data structure; renamed the destination directory from "july_2015" etc. to "07_2015. Allowing me to reuse the $M variable.

Code:
sdunoa01# time for MDP in "07 14" "07 13"
> do  
> set $MDP
> M=$1 D=$2
> ./outsdunoa01qbb5 $M $D 15; mv *15${M}${D}* ${M}_2015; rm temp*; ls
> done

Many thanks, Cheers

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX and Linux Applications

A question/problem about oracle "tns listener" and "enterprise manager"

hi, I have * an IBM P550 machine, * an AIX 5.3 running on it and * an oracle database, already installed on it. The problem (or question of my own) is: Oracle tns listener, "CT_LISTENER", and the enterprise manager (EM) of the instance, which is uniq instance and called... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: talipk
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

A question/problem about oracle "tns listener" and "enterprise manager"

hi, I have a problem about the Oracle related components. I'm not able to find any answer yet, and waiting for your responses... Here is the configuration of my system: * an IBM P550 machine, * an AIX 5.3 running on it and * an oracle database, already installed on it. The problem (or... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: talipk
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh "case" statement question

Hi I have the following case statement: case $larg in *_* ) a=${larg%_*}; b=${larg#*_}; ;; *^* ) a=${larg%^*}; b=${larg#*^}; ;; esac I cannot figure out what *_* and *^* stand for... Also what a=${larg%_*}; b=${larg#*_}; and a=${larg%^*}; b=${larg#*^}; ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aoussenko
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Question about special variables: "-" and "$_"

both ksh/bash support this 2 special variables, Is there any document for reference? 1) "-" is $OLDPWD 2) "$_" is last argument of previous command. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: honglus
4 Replies

5. Red Hat

"if" and "then" statement is not working in RedHat

Dear experts, I'm trying to write a script to calculate the usage of Log Archive in a directory, so if it gets to a point where the directory size is 60%, then send out an FYI.. email. So if then it reaches to 80%, move the logs from that directory. I have written the script as follow but... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Afi_Linux
10 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

What "-a" operator means in "if" statement

Hi I am trying to figure out what the following line does, I work in ksh88: ] && LIST="$big $LIST" Not sure what "-a" means in that case. Thanks a lot for any advice -A (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aoussenko
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to replace ";" with "|" and ""|" at diferent places in line of file

Hi, I have line in input file as below: 3G_CENTRAL;INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL;SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL My expected output for line in the file must be : "1-Radon1-cMOC_deg"|"LDIndex"|"3G_CENTRAL|INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL"|LAST|"SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL" Can someone... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shis100
7 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What is the meaning of "-s" option in "if" statement?

Hi Guys, I'm sorry but I can't find answer for this, what is the meaning of -s option in "if" statement on unix scipting. Please see sample below: opath=/home/output for i in N1 N2 N3 N4 do echo $i if then grep $i $opath/N5_CRAI > $opath/N5_$i.crai chmod 777 $opath/N5_$i.crai ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: rymnd_12345
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

"if" statement based off "grep"

Hello, I am somewhat new to Linux/Unix. I am currently working on a shell script that is suppose to cat a file, grep the same file for a certain line, if that line is found save the file in a different location, else remove the file. This is a rough example of what I want. $Dating = False... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: Amzerik
13 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script - Print an ascii file using specific font "Latin Modern Mono 12" "regular" "9"

Hello. System : opensuse leap 42.3 I have a bash script that build a text file. I would like the last command doing : print_cmd -o page-left=43 -o page-right=22 -o page-top=28 -o page-bottom=43 -o font=LatinModernMono12:regular:9 some_file.txt where : print_cmd ::= some printing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jcdole
1 Replies
OD(1)									FSF								     OD(1)

NAME
od - dump files in octal and other formats SYNOPSIS
od [OPTION]... [FILE]... od --traditional [FILE] [[+]OFFSET [[+]LABEL]] DESCRIPTION
Write an unambiguous representation, octal bytes by default, of FILE to standard output. With more than one FILE argument, concatenate them in the listed order to form the input. With no FILE, or when FILE is -, read standard input. All arguments to long options are mandatory for short options. -A, --address-radix=RADIX decide how file offsets are printed -j, --skip-bytes=BYTES skip BYTES input bytes first -N, --read-bytes=BYTES limit dump to BYTES input bytes -s, --strings[=BYTES] output strings of at least BYTES graphic chars -t, --format=TYPE select output format or formats -v, --output-duplicates do not use * to mark line suppression -w, --width[=BYTES] output BYTES bytes per output line --traditional accept arguments in traditional form --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit Traditional format specifications may be intermixed; they accumulate: -a same as -t a, select named characters -b same as -t oC, select octal bytes -c same as -t c, select ASCII characters or backslash escapes -d same as -t u2, select unsigned decimal shorts -f same as -t fF, select floats -h same as -t x2, select hexadecimal shorts -i same as -t d2, select decimal shorts -l same as -t d4, select decimal longs -o same as -t o2, select octal shorts -x same as -t x2, select hexadecimal shorts For older syntax (second call format), OFFSET means -j OFFSET. LABEL is the pseudo-address at first byte printed, incremented when dump is progressing. For OFFSET and LABEL, a 0x or 0X prefix indicates hexadecimal, suffixes may be . for octal and b for multiply by 512. TYPE is made up of one or more of these specifications: a named character c ASCII character or backslash escape d[SIZE] signed decimal, SIZE bytes per integer f[SIZE] floating point, SIZE bytes per integer o[SIZE] octal, SIZE bytes per integer u[SIZE] unsigned decimal, SIZE bytes per integer x[SIZE] hexadecimal, SIZE bytes per integer SIZE is a number. For TYPE in doux, SIZE may also be C for sizeof(char), S for sizeof(short), I for sizeof(int) or L for sizeof(long). If TYPE is f, SIZE may also be F for sizeof(float), D for sizeof(double) or L for sizeof(long double). RADIX is d for decimal, o for octal, x for hexadecimal or n for none. BYTES is hexadecimal with 0x or 0X prefix, it is multiplied by 512 with b suffix, by 1024 with k and by 1048576 with m. Adding a z suffix to any type adds a display of printable characters to the end of each line of output. --string without a number implies 3. --width without a number implies 32. By default, od uses -A o -t d2 -w 16. AUTHOR
Written by Jim Meyering. REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to <bug-coreutils@gnu.org>. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2002 Free Software Foundation, Inc. This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICU- LAR PURPOSE. SEE ALSO
The full documentation for od is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and od programs are properly installed at your site, the com- mand info od should give you access to the complete manual. od (coreutils) 4.5.3 February 2003 OD(1)