Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Best scripting language for Aix/unix Post 302949748 by Don Cragun on Wednesday 15th of July 2015 02:20:29 PM
Old 07-15-2015
Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment This post has been moved into a new thread. It was originally posted in a thread discussing a different topic.

The best scripting language for any system depends on:
  1. what you are hoping to do with that script,
  2. what scripting languages you know,
  3. what scripting languages are available on your system, and
  4. (depending on your answers to the questions above) your budget.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

what scripting language to use

Hi, I want to send system info like disk utilization, memory and things like that to be displayed on a web page. gathering the system info is simple. What do I use to transfer the data to the web server? Once the data is there, its not my problem anymore :D Thanks for any leads (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: 406
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

scripting guru's pls help me with scripting on AIX

can someone pls help me with the script for a files coming from one system to a particular directory and i want to write a script to move those files to another directory on different system by renaming the files... pls someone help me on this... thanking in anticipation.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: thatiprashant
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

difference between AIX shell scripting and Unix shell scripting.

please give the difference between AIX shell scripting and Unix shell scripting. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: haroonec
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Scripting language for system admin

Am trying to learn a scripting language to automate mundane system admin tasks. Being a Novice, Just trying to understand, which language would be easier to learn and one for all types. i.e Perl or Shell scripting. Which of these would be good for a system admin, Database admin ?? pls. post... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Crazy_murli
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Alternative Scripting Language for UNIX/Linux System Administration

I do not know UNIX shell scripting so as an alternative which language would you think is better for daily System Administration tasks. Perl or PHP? I know a little about both. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: blackopus
5 Replies

6. What is on Your Mind?

Better scripting language (closed)

:confused:perl,python,ruby..which one is the best language...? all are welcomed to comment but i would request to the SYSTEM ADMINISTRATORS who have yaers of programming,scripting experience to comment...site admins plz i am looking forward to see your comments also ...:):) (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shekhar_4_u
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Scripting using shell language

hi i am student and i learn computer sciences i need to write a script that can will be execute automatically when a user logs on a computer, and will be automatically disconnect after a duration that i will determine can somebody help me thank (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Thucydide
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Scripting Language for Parsing XML

Hello, I want to know which shell scripting language (like AWk, Perl or any other) is the best for parsing and editing 1) space or Comma Separated Datsets 2) XML type Datasets. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ajayram
1 Replies
DDB(8)							    BSD System Manager's Manual 						    DDB(8)

NAME
ddb -- configure DDB kernel debugger properties SYNOPSIS
ddb capture [-M -core] [-N -system] print ddb capture [-M -core] [-N -system] status ddb script scriptname ddb script scriptname=script ddb scripts ddb unscript scriptname ddb pathname DESCRIPTION
The ddb utility configures certain aspects of the ddb(4) kernel debugger from user space that are not configured at compile-time or easily via sysctl(8) MIB entries. To ease configuration, commands can be put in a file which is processed using ddb as shown in the last synopsis line. An absolute pathname must be used. The file will be read line by line and applied as arguments to the ddb utility. Whitespace at the beginning of lines will be ignored as will lines where the first non-whitespace character is '#'. OUTPUT CAPTURE
The ddb utility can be used to extract the contents of the ddb(4) output capture buffer of the current live kernel, or from the crash dump of a kernel on disk. The following debugger commands are available from the command line: capture [-M core] [-N system] print Print the current contents of the ddb(4) output capture buffer. capture [-M core] [-N system] status Print the current status of the ddb(4) output capture buffer. SCRIPTING
The ddb utility can be used to configure aspects of ddb(4) scripting from user space; scripting support is described in more detail in ddb(4). Each of the debugger commands is available from the command line: script scriptname Print the script named scriptname. script scriptname=script Define a script named scriptname. As many scripts contain characters interpreted in special ways by the shell, it is advisable to enclose script in quotes. scripts List currently defined scripts. unscript scriptname Delete the script named scriptname. EXIT STATUS
The ddb utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. EXAMPLES
The following example defines a script that will execute when the kernel debugger is entered as a result of a break signal: ddb script kdb.enter.break="show pcpu; bt" The following example will delete the script: ddb unscript kdb.enter.break For further examples, see the ddb(4) and textdump(4) manual pages. SEE ALSO
ddb(4), textdump(4), sysctl(8) HISTORY
The ddb utility first appeared in FreeBSD 7.1. AUTHORS
Robert N M Watson BUGS
Ideally, ddb would not exist, as all pertinent aspects of ddb(4) could be configured directly via sysctl(8). BSD
December 24, 2008 BSD