Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Routing ICMP echo requests
Special Forums IP Networking Routing ICMP echo requests Post 302949421 by dschlic1 on Friday 10th of July 2015 12:04:12 PM
Old 07-10-2015
Routing ICMP echo requests

I have an application where I need to configure a router to pass through ping requests (ICMP type Image through to the LAN port. I have a Linksys WRT54GS with tiny DD-WRT V24 SP2 installed. I am adding the following iptables rules:
Code:
iptables -t nat -I PREROUTING -p icmp --icmp-type 8 -s 72.64.140.50 -j DNAT --to-destination 192.168.1.200 

iptables -t filter -I FORWARD -p icmp --icmp-type 8 -s 72.64.140.50 -d 192.168.1.200 -j ACCEPT 

iptables -t nat -I POSTROUTING -p icmp --icmp-type 8 -s 72.64.140.50 -d 192.168.1.200 -j ACCEPT

The intent is that the first rule will change an incoming echo request destination to the unit on the LAN which I want to receive the ping request.

The second rule allows the modified echo request to pass through the FORWARD table.

And the last one allows the modified echo request to pass through the POSTROUTING table.

When I send a ping to the router with four tries, I get no pings out the LAN. Using iptables -L -v -n I can see were rule #1 passes one packet (but not four), rule #2 passes four packets (good!) and rule #3 passes 1 packet.

At this point I am at loss as to why this is not working. Can someone help me out here?

Last edited by Don Cragun; 07-10-2015 at 04:56 PM.. Reason: Add CODE tags.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

icmp

how i can send the big icmp packets to the another ip for loose connection ....or how he can loose (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: seccom
1 Replies

2. Linux

Linux and ICMP timestamp requests.

Hi There, I am looking to disable ICMP timestamp requests and ICMP timestamp replies on my Linux server version 8. Can someone please tell me the simplest way to do this? I know a command to disable all ICMP traffic but this I have been told will cause many network problems which I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gerwhelan
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

ICMP Echo-Request

Hello! I'm in extra urgent need to have a program that sends a series of ICMP echo requests over the network to a specified host and waits until the last echo reply is received. I know little about socket-programming (in particular I've never dealt with icmp sockets) that's why i'm desperate!! :)... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ilmora
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting ICMP Output for Plotting

Dear, I want to perform a plotting using xgraph, and the plotting data (ping.txt) is as below. For the graph I just want to plot the time for x-axis (line count) and the RTT for y-axis (time in ms). Below are script i write for that purpose but it seen did not work. Any guide for me because i... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Paris Heng
1 Replies

5. IP Networking

Ping ICMP

Hi All, How to disable ICMP time stamp request and time stamp reply of a machine? How to test this feature from remote machine? Please reply back Vasanth (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vasanthan
2 Replies

6. Solaris

Jumpstart fails with ICMP Destination unreachable

Hi I am trying to perform a jumpstart with values below client sf440-003 - ip x.x.133.2 jumpstartserver zeus - ip x.x.133.19 The jumpstart tftp works as it should, I boot the machine with boot net - install etc. But when it should do a PORTMAP it fails with ICMP error. Any ideas... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ehsjoka
2 Replies

7. Solaris

ICMP Net Unreachable from gateway

Hi all, I cannot reach my SERVER from my NetBackup server connect through SERVER_prv ("cannot connect to client") My SERVER was Sun OS 5.8, below is the message i get when i ping my SERVER: # ping 192.168.X.X or # ping SERVER_prv ICMP Net Unreachable from gateway 172.16.102.XXX for... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: beginningDBA
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Log file for icmp requests

I'm not a unix expert so I need to ask what maybe a simple question to some. Is there a log file which records any icmp packets hitting the server? I ask, because I need to verify what the ip is from a server pinging mine. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: numele
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

ICMP for limited time

Hi, I am using following command: tcpdump -i eth1 icmp =8 >output.txt i want this command to get execute for a minute only. How can we do this? Thanks. Please use code tags next time for your code and data. Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Satyajeet@uh
2 Replies

10. IP Networking

iptables - formatting icmp rules

Hi, I am relatively new to firewalls and netfilter. I have a Debian Stretch router box running dnsmasq, connected to a VPN. Occasionally dnsmasq polls all of the desired DNS servers to select the fastest. When it does this it responds to replies of the non-selected DNS servers with a icmp type... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: CrazyDave
0 Replies
FIREWALLD.DIRECT(5)						 firewalld.direct					       FIREWALLD.DIRECT(5)

NAME
firewalld.direct - firewalld direct configuration file SYNOPSIS
/etc/firewalld/direct.xml DESCRIPTION
A firewalld direct configuration file contains the information about permanent direct chains and rules. These are the chains, rules and passthrough ... This is the structure of a direct configuration file: <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?> <direct> [ <chain ipv="ipv4|ipv6" table="table" chain="chain"/> ] [ <rule ipv="ipv4|ipv6" table="table" chain="chain" priority="priority"> args </rule> ] [ <passthrough ipv="ipv4|ipv6"> args </passthrough> ] </direct> direct The mandatory direct start and end tag defines the direct. This tag can only be used once in a direct configuration file. There are no attributes for direct. chain Is an optional empty-element tag and can be used several times. It can be used to define names for additional chains. A chain entry has exactly three attributes: ipv="ipv4|ipv6" The IP family where the chain will be created. This can be either ipv4 or ipv6. table="table" The table name where the chain will be created. This can be one of the tables that can be used for iptables or ip6tables. For the possible values, please have a look at the TABLES section in the iptables man pages: For ipv="ipv4" in iptables(8), for ipv="ipv6" in ip6tables(8). chain="chain" The name of the chain, that will be created. Please make sure that there is no other chain with this name already. Please remember to add a rule or passthrough rule with an --jump or --goto option to connect the chain to another one. rule Is an optional element tag and can be used several times. It can be used to add rules to a built-in or added chain. A rule entry has exactly four attributes: ipv="ipv4|ipv6" The IP family where the rule will be added. This can be either ipv4 or ipv6. table="table" The table name where the chain will be created. This can be one of the tables that casn be used for iptables or ip6tables. For the possible values, please have a look at the TABLES section in the iptables man pages: For ipv="ipv4" in iptables(8), for ipv="ipv6" in ip6tables(8). chain="chain" The name of the chain where the rule will be added. This can be either a built-in chain or a chain that has been created with the chain tag. priority="priority" The priority is used to order rules. Priority 0 means add rule on top of the chain, with a higher priority the rule will be added further down. Rules with the same priority are on the same level and the order of these rules is not fixed and may change. If you want to make sure that a rule will be added after another one, use a low priority for the first and a higher for the following. The args can be any arguments of iptables or ip6tables, that do not conflict with the table or chain attributes. If the chain name is a built-in chain, then the rule will be added to chain_direct, else the supplied chain name is used. chain_direct is created internally for all built-in chains to make sure that the added rules do not conflict with the rules created by firewalld. passthrough Is an optional element tag and can be used several times. It can be used to add rules to a built-in or added chain. A rule entry has exactly one attribute: ipv="ipv4|ipv6" The IP family where the passthrough rule will be added. This can be either ipv4 or ipv6. The args can be any arguments of iptables or ip6tables. The passthrough rule will be added to the chain directly. There is no mechanism like for the direct rule above. The user of the passthrough rule has to make sure that there will be no conflict with the rules created by firewalld. EXAMPLE
Blacklisting of the networks 192.168.1.0/24 and 192.168.5.0/24 with logging and dropping early in the raw table: <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?> <direct> <chain ipv="ipv4" table="raw" chain="blacklist"/> <rule ipv="ipv4" table="raw" chain="PREROUTING" priority="0">-s 192.168.1.0/24 -j blacklist</rule> <rule ipv="ipv4" table="raw" chain="PREROUTING" priority="1">-s 192.168.5.0/24 -j blacklist</rule> <rule ipv="ipv4" table="raw" chain="blacklist" priority="0">-m limit --limit 1/min -j LOG --log-prefix "blacklisted: "</rule> <rule ipv="ipv4" table="raw" chain="blacklist" priority="1">-j DROP</rule> </direct> SEE ALSO
firewall-applet(1), firewalld(1), firewall-cmd(1), firewall-config(1), firewalld.conf(5), firewalld.direct(5), firewalld.icmptype(5), firewalld.lockdown-whitelist(5), firewall-offline-cmd(1), firewalld.richlanguage(5), firewalld.service(5), firewalld.zone(5), firewalld.zones(5) NOTES
firewalld home page at fedorahosted.org: http://fedorahosted.org/firewalld/ More documentation with examples: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FirewallD AUTHORS
Thomas Woerner <twoerner@redhat.com> Developer Jiri Popelka <jpopelka@redhat.com> Developer firewalld 0.3.9 FIREWALLD.DIRECT(5)