Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Problem with while loop reading every line of a text file Post 302949261 by reddyr on Wednesday 8th of July 2015 01:39:28 PM
Old 07-08-2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutronscott
Yeah, bash 3.2 didn't have -N only -n. It's almost the same. Try it and see if it has the correct effect.
Yep, I tried -n after posting here and it worked.

Thanks again for all the help & guidance!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

reading text file line by line

Ok. before anyone mentions it, I did search for this but I'm not sure if I am looking for the right thing. Now, onto my issue. I have been keeping vmstats output in running text files. So I have a file that looks like this: vmstat 2 5 2005.09.19 kthr memory page ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: MizzGail
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading data from a specific line in a text file

hello, I have got the following problem that I am hoping someone can help with please. 1. I have got the following text file (below) , the columns data are 'Test Day', 'Board', 'Betting Number'. TEXT FILE ============================================ 1 3 02-01-27-28-29-30 0 1... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jermaine4ever
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading data from a specific line in a text file

Hello, I have a problem which is giving me headache for days, can some please help. Please see code and text fiel below. Please see text in red for the problem I am facing # Program gets an input x from user while read line ; do echo... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jermaine4ever
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Problem in reading a file line by line till it reaches a white line

So, I want to read line-by-line a text file with unknown number of files.... So: a=1 b=1 while ; do b=`sed -n '$ap' test` a=`expr $a + 1` $here do something with b etc done the problem is that sed does not seem to recognise the $a, even when trying sed -n ' $a p' So, I cannot read... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hakermania
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem reading file in while/read loop

I know I should be able to see a way of doing this easily, but my brain just won't engage. I have a script working on an embedded device that checks to see if an item is in a blacklist before performing some actions. At the moment the code reads thus.... while read BLACKLIST ; do ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bashingaway
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

reading line by line from a text file

Hi, I have a text file something like this: 10.10.10.1, ldap, cn=users,dc=example,dc=com ..... ... and many more lines ... ... now i want to read each individual line from the file and assign it to a variable example: the script should read 10.10.10.1 and assign it to a variable say... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sunrexstar
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read file using while loop not reading last line

I have written a script to read the file line by line. It is reading and printing the lines. But it is coming out of loop before reading last line. So I am not able to print last line. How do I solve it. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dgmm
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

While loop is not reading next line in the file when IF condition is used.

Hi Guys I am new to scripting.Please forgive for asking basic questions. I want to write a script to check whether the logs are getting updated in last 15 mins. cat server 192.168.1.6 192.168.1.7 cat list 192.168.1.7 /logs/logpath1 192.168.1.7 /logs/logpath2 192.168.1.6... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vdurai
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading text file, comparing a value in a line, and placing only part of the line in a variable?

I need some help. I would like to read in a text file. Take a variable such as ROW-D-01, compare it to what's in one line in the text file such as PROD/VM/ROW-D-01 and only input PROD/VM into a variable without the /ROW-D-01. Is this possible? any help is appreciated. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: xChristopher
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading line by line from live log file using while loop and considering only those lines start from

Hi, I want to read a live log file line by line and considering those line which start from time stamp; Below code I am using, which read line but throws an exception when comparing line that does not contain error code tail -F /logs/COMMON-ERROR.log | while read myline; do... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ketanraut
2 Replies
ppmtopgm(1)						      General Commands Manual						       ppmtopgm(1)

NAME
ppmtopgm - convert a portable pixmap into a portable graymap SYNOPSIS
ppmtopgm [ppmfile] DESCRIPTION
Reads a portable pixmap as input. Produces a portable graymap as output. The output is a "black and white" rendering of the original image, as in a black and white photograph. The quantization formula used is .299 r + .587 g + .114 b. Note that although there is a pgmtoppm program, it is not necessary for simple conversions from pgm to ppm , because any ppm program can read pgm (and pbm ) files automatically. pgmtoppm is for colorizing a pgm file. Also, see ppmtorgb3 for a different way of converting color to gray. And ppmdist generates a grayscale image from a color image, but in a way that makes it easy to differentiate the original colors, not necessarily a way that looks like a black and white photograph. QUOTE
Cold-hearted orb that rules the night Removes the colors from our sight Red is gray, and yellow white But we decide which is right And which is a quantization error. SEE ALSO
pgmtoppm(1),ppmtorgb3(1),rgb3toppm(1),ppmdist(1),ppm(5),pgm(5) AUTHOR
Copyright (C) 1989 by Jef Poskanzer. 10 April 2000 ppmtopgm(1)