Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: How to Grep of by section?
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to Grep of by section? Post 302949119 by cjcox on Tuesday 7th of July 2015 11:13:37 AM
Old 07-07-2015
Smash the group of lines into single lines and post process the grep to put it back.

Consider (assumes a Unix/Linux line terminated format in my case in a file called groups.txt):

Code:
sed -e 's/^$/^B/' <groups.txt |  tr '\012\002' '\011\012' | sed 's/^\o011//' | grep '^Sally Smith' | tr '\011' '\012'

You'll want the data to end with an empty line.

(oh and ^B is a Ctrl-B, I should have been more consistent in my approach)

Last edited by cjcox; 07-07-2015 at 12:23 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

New section

What are the chances of possibly posting some of the more common how-to type stuff for the newbies so we can avoid the repititious stuff that appears every other day? Not so much like a Q&A forum, but more like a reference area for the mundane stuff. Beyond searching the forum, I think people... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ober5861
3 Replies

2. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

New Section

Just like we have a section "Unix for dummies..." , why not have a section on UNIX BACKUP AND RECOVERY Thanks :) (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kapilv
3 Replies

3. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

New section

Hi Just a thought if it already hasn't been suggested. While looking at the forums I thought it might be a good idea under somewhere like 'special forums' add a section called 'projects'. I think this would be good for people to be able to post projects they have created. For example I am... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: woofie
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how can i extract text section via grep

hi, i have a very long text file. i need to extract with grep command a certain part. for example text file include 1ooo rows: 1.... 2... 3... . . . 1000 i want to view with grep only rows 50-100. any ideas will be appreciated thanks... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: meny
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract section of file based on word in section

I have a list of Servers in no particular order as follows: virtualMachines="IIBSBS IIBVICDMS01 IIBVICMA01"And I am generating some output from a pre-existing script that gives me the following (this is a sample output selection). 9/17/2010 8:00:05 PM: Normal backup using VDRBACKUPS... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jelloir
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep out and fix a section

I have a file that contains a section of information like this: 10_82_150_13.netshhcp Server 10.82.150.13 Scope 10.82.128.0 Add reservedip 10.82.130.54 0060b09f4b74 "PR_EMD_METALS1.san.local" "TSF 5th floor room 507 h plj4000" "BOTH" 10_82_150_13.netshhcp Server 10.82.150.13 Scope 10.82.128.0... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: richsark
13 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Prepend first line of section to each line until the next section header

I have searched in a variety of ways in a variety of places but have come up empty. I would like to prepend a portion of a section header to each following line until the next section header. I have been using sed for most things up until now but I'd go for a solution in just about anything--... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: pagrus
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep or print each section of a file on one line with a separator

I can obtain information from itdt inventory command however it display as below, I'd like to print each entity on one line but seperated by : the file is something like and each section ends with Volume Tag Drive Address 256 Drive State ................... Normal ASC/ASCQ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gefa
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep text and see all section

Hello I am looking for a way to look in files and to grep text and see the all section of the text ! Sharon123 deed 10000 class 360 ! sharon456 2000 deed ! Sharon789 live 3000 ! To grep "deed "an see the all section (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sharong
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Grep a section from an UNIX file obtaining only part of the data

Hello, I have a log file that has several sections "BEGIN JOB, End of job" like in the following example: 19/06/12 - 16:00:57 (27787398-449294): BEGIN JOB j1(27787398-449294) JOB1 19/06/12 - 16:00:57 (27787398-449294): DIGIT: 0 number of present logs : 1 19/06/12 - 16:00:57... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mvalonso
4 Replies
GREP(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   GREP(1)

NAME
grep, g - search a file for a pattern SYNOPSIS
grep [ option ... ] pattern [ file ... ] g [ option ... ] pattern [ file ... ] DESCRIPTION
Grep searches the input files (standard input default) for lines that match the pattern, a regular expression as defined in regexp(7) with the addition of a newline character as an alternative (substitute for |) with lowest precedence. Normally, each line matching the pattern is `selected', and each selected line is copied to the standard output. The options are -c Print only a count of matching lines. -h Do not print file name tags (headers) with output lines. -e The following argument is taken as a pattern. This option makes it easy to specify patterns that might confuse argument parsing, such as -n. -i Ignore alphabetic case distinctions. The implementation folds into lower case all letters in the pattern and input before interpre- tation. Matched lines are printed in their original form. -l (ell) Print the names of files with selected lines; don't print the lines. -L Print the names of files with no selected lines; the converse of -l. -n Mark each printed line with its line number counted in its file. -s Produce no output, but return status. -v Reverse: print lines that do not match the pattern. -f The pattern argument is the name of a file containing regular expressions one per line. -b Don't buffer the output: write each output line as soon as it is discovered. Output lines are tagged by file name when there is more than one input file. (To force this tagging, include /dev/null as a file name argument.) Care should be taken when using the shell metacharacters $*[^|()= and newline in pattern; it is safest to enclose the entire expression in single quotes '...'. An expression starting with '*' will treat the rest of the expression as literal characters. G invokes grep with -n and forces tagging of output lines by file name. If no files are listed, it searches all files matching *.C *.b *.c *.h *.m *.cc *.java *.cgi *.pl *.py *.tex *.ms SOURCE
/src/cmd/grep /bin/g SEE ALSO
ed(1), awk(1), sed(1), sam(1), regexp(7) DIAGNOSTICS
Exit status is null if any lines are selected, or non-null when no lines are selected or an error occurs. GREP(1)