Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Awk: problem for loop through variable Post 302948860 by CarloM on Friday 3rd of July 2015 07:25:27 AM
Old 07-03-2015
I don't think awk supports indirect referencing for variables.

In this case it looks like you could just use an array anyway.
This User Gave Thanks to CarloM For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with variable expension using for loop.

Hi, I have a problem with expending variables when used in a for loop: #!/bin/ksh VAR1=aaa VAR2=bbb VAR3=ccc for ITEM in VAR1 VAR2 VAR3 do echo "${ITEM}" done This gives: VAR1 VAR2 VAR3 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ejdv
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variable problem in for loop with if statement

Hi, Again a little problem. Do not understand good why an empty string is not detected. Here is the program: #!/bin/ksh APR=`date | grep Apr | awk '{print $2$3}'` MAY=`date | grep May | awk '{print $2$3}'` JUN=`date | grep Jun | awk '{print $2$3}'` echo "Variable Apr has value:... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ejdv
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing a variable to awk while in a shell for loop

I am a newbie to awk and c programming, however am not a unix newbie. However, I do need help with a kshell script I am writing. It is almost complete, the last step is killing me. Any help would be greatly appreciated. What I am trying to do is cat a text file that has usernames. Then, using... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: synergy_texas
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

using awk in a for loop (getting ksh variable)

Hi, I've tried searching the forums for a case similar to mine but was unsuccessful. This is my first time to use awk so any help would be really appreciated :) I have one file containing data for with the first value in each row being a State Name. I would need to create a separate file... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: karver
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem with for loop and a variable with spaces...Hi

Hi there, I don't understand the following behavior: toto:~$ for word in un "deux trois"; do echo $word; done un deux trois toto:~$ sentence='un "deux trois"' toto:~$ for word in $sentence; do echo $word; done un "deux trois" toto:~$ sentence="un 'deux trois'" toto:~$ for word in... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: chebarbudo
10 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bourne Shell - Problem with while loop variable scope.

Hello I am having issues with a script I'm working on developing on a Solaris machine. The script is intended to find out how many times a particular user (by given userid) has logged into the local system for more than one hour today. Here is my while loop: last $user | grep -v 'sshd'... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: DaveRich
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk, double variable, for loop and rsh

Hello folks, I've a (perhaps) simple question. In a text file I've : server_name1: directory1 server_name2: directory2 server_name3: directory3 I want to make a loop that lets me connect and operate on every server: rsh server_name1 "ls -l directory1" I've tried with awk,... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: gogol_bordello
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

String variable concatenation through loop problem

Hi Team!! Please can anyone tell me why the following line does not work properly? str3+=$str2 it seems that str3 variable does not keep its value in order to be concatenated in the next iteration! Thus when i print the result of the line above it returns the str2 value What i want to do is to... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: paladinaeon
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk programming -Passing variable to awk for loop

Hi All, I am new to AWK programming. I have the following for loop in my awk program. cat printhtml.awk: BEGIN -------- <some code here> END{ ----------<some code here> for(N=0; N<H; N++) { for(M=5; M<D; M++) print "\t" D ""; } ----- } ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ctrld
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Variable and awk inside for loop

Thanks all for taking time out and reading this thread and big Thanks to all who have come forward for rescue. Background: I have a variable "nbrofcols" that has number of columns from a data file. Now, using this count in for loop, I am trying to get the maximum length of each column present... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: svks1985
7 Replies
PAPS(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   PAPS(1)

NAME
paps - UTF-8 to PostScript converter using Pango SYNOPSIS
paps [options] files... DESCRIPTION
paps reads a UTF-8 encoded file and generates a PostScript language rendering of the file. The rendering is done by creating outline curves through the pango ft2 backend. OPTIONS
These programs follow the usual GNU command line syntax, with long options starting with two dashes (`-'). A summary of options is included below. --landscape Landscape output. Default is portrait. --columns=cl Number of columns output. Default is 1. --font=desc Set the font description. Default is Monospace 12. --rtl Do rtl layout. --paper ps Choose paper size. Known paper sizes are legal, letter, a4. Default is A4. --bottom-margin=bm Set bottom margin in postscript points (1/72 inch). Default is 36. --top-margin=tm Set top margin. Default is 36. --left-margin=lm Set left margin. Default is 36. --right-margin=rm Set right margin. Default is 36. --help Show summary of options. --header Draw page header for each page. --markup Interpret the text as pango markup. --encoding=ENCODING Assume the documentation encoding is ENCODING. --lpi Set the lines per inch. This determines the line spacing. --cpi Set the characters per inch. This is an alternative method of specifying the font size. --stretch-chars Indicates that characters should be stretched in the y-direction to fill up their vertical space. This is similar to the texttops behaviour. AUTHOR
paps was written by Dov Grobgeld <dov.grobgeld@gmail.com>. This manual page was written by Lior Kaplan <kaplan@debian.org>, for the Debian project (but may be used by others). April 17, 2006 PAPS(1)