Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Clipping -awk
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Clipping -awk Post 302948837 by Xterra on Thursday 2nd of July 2015 10:28:24 PM
Old 07-02-2015
Don
I apologize -in my defense, English is not my mother tongue, not an excuse just and explanation.
You see, the input file is a DNA alignment. The aligment tool (mafft), aligns each nucleotide (ATGC) in all sequences (multiple alignment). If one of the sequences is shorter, like the Reference in my example above, the alignment tool adds hyphens at the ends. I need to find the References sequence and scan it till I find the first nucleotide, in this case "a", and cut all sequences at that nucleotide position. Then, I must scan the Reference sequence till I find the last nucleotide, in this case another "a", and cut all sequences at that very same position. Thus, all sequences will have the same length. Sometimes, the DNA sequences have mismatches at the ends maki g nearly impossible to trim them based on a nucleotide pattern -mafft takes care of that since mutations do not disturbe the alignment.
I hope this explains better what I am trying to accomplish
Thanks!
PS. The reference does not contain gaps (hyphens) in between nucleotides. Thus, the string of hyphens in the flanks mark the beggining and end of the reference sequence

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk problem: How to express the single quote(') by using awk print function

Actually I got a list of file end with *.txt I want to use the same command apply to all the *.txt Thus I try to find out the fastest way to write those same command in a script and then want to let them run automatics. For example: I got the file below: file1.txt file2.txt file3.txt... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: patrick87
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

scripting/awk help : awk sum output is not comming in regular format. Pls advise.

Hi Experts, I am adding a column of numbers with awk , however not getting correct output: # awk '{sum+=$1} END {print sum}' datafile 2.15291e+06 How can I getthe output like : 2152910 Thank you.. # awk '{sum+=$1} END {print sum}' datafile 2.15079e+06 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rveri
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk: assign variable with -v didn't work in awk filter

I want to filter 2nd column = 2 using awk $ cat t 1 2 2 4 $ VAR=2 #variable worked in print $ cat t | awk -v ID=$VAR ' { print ID}' 2 2 # but variable didn't work in awk filter $ cat t | awk -v ID=$VAR '$2~/ID/ { print $0}' (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: honglus
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read content between xml tags with awk, grep, awk or what ever...

Hello, I trying to extract text that is surrounded by xml-tags. I tried this cat tst.xml | egrep "<SERVER>.*</SERVER>" |sed -e "s/<SERVER>\(.*\)<\/SERVER>/\1/"|tr "|" " " which works perfect, if the start-tag and the end-tag are in the same line, e.g.: <tag1>Hello Linux-Users</tag1> ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sebi0815
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with awk awk: program limit exceeded: sprintf buffer size=1020

Hi I have many problems with a script. I have a script that formats a text file but always prints the same error when i try to execute it The code is that: { if (NF==17){ print $0 }else{ fields=NF; all=$0; while... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fate
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparison and editing of files using awk.(And also a possible bug in awk for loop?)

I have two files which I would like to compare and then manipulate in a way. File1: pictures.txt 1.1 1.3 dance.txt 1.2 1.4 treehouse.txt 1.3 1.5 File2: pictures.txt 1.5 ref2313 1.4 ref2345 1.3 ref5432 1.2 ref4244 dance.txt 1.6 ref2342 1.5 ref2352 1.4 ref0695 1.3 ref5738 1.2... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: linuxkid
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to compare a file with set of files in a directory using 'awk'

Hi, I have a situation to compare one file, say file1.txt with a set of files in directory.The directory contains more than 100 files. To be more precise, the requirement is to compare the first field of file1.txt with the first field in all the files in the directory.The files in the... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: anandek
10 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

HELP with AWK one-liner. Need to employ an If condition inside AWK to check for array variable ?

Hello experts, I'm stuck with this script for three days now. Here's what i need. I need to split a large delimited (,) file into 2 files based on the value present in the last field. Samp: Something.csv bca,adc,asdf,123,12C bca,adc,asdf,123,13C def,adc,asdf,123,12A I need this split... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: shell_boy23
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing awk variable argument to a script which is being called inside awk

consider the script below sh /opt/hqe/hqapi1-client-5.0.0/bin/hqapi.sh alert list --host=localhost --port=7443 --user=hqadmin --password=hqadmin --secure=true >/tmp/alerts.xml awk -F'' '{for(i=1;i<=NF;i++){ if($i=="Alert id") { if(id!="") if(dt!=""){ cmd="sh someScript.sh... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk output yields error: awk:can't open job_name (Autosys)

Good evening, Im newbie at unix specially with awk From an scheduler program called Autosys i want to extract some data reading an inputfile that comprises jobs names, then formating the output to columns for example 1. This is the inputfile: $ more MapaRep.txt ds_extra_nikira_usuarios... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: alexcol
18 Replies
bup-margin(1)						      General Commands Manual						     bup-margin(1)

NAME
bup-margin - figure out your deduplication safety margin SYNOPSIS
bup margin [options...] DESCRIPTION
bup margin iterates through all objects in your bup repository, calculating the largest number of prefix bits shared between any two entries. This number, n, identifies the longest subset of SHA-1 you could use and still encounter a collision between your object ids. For example, one system that was tested had a collection of 11 million objects (70 GB), and bup margin returned 45. That means a 46-bit hash would be sufficient to avoid all collisions among that set of objects; each object in that repository could be uniquely identified by its first 46 bits. The number of bits needed seems to increase by about 1 or 2 for every doubling of the number of objects. Since SHA-1 hashes have 160 bits, that leaves 115 bits of margin. Of course, because SHA-1 hashes are essentially random, it's theoretically possible to use many more bits with far fewer objects. If you're paranoid about the possibility of SHA-1 collisions, you can monitor your repository by running bup margin occasionally to see if you're getting dangerously close to 160 bits. OPTIONS
--predict Guess the offset into each index file where a particular object will appear, and report the maximum deviation of the correct answer from the guess. This is potentially useful for tuning an interpolation search algorithm. --ignore-midx don't use .midx files, use only .idx files. This is only really useful when used with --predict. EXAMPLE
$ bup margin Reading indexes: 100.00% (1612581/1612581), done. 40 40 matching prefix bits 1.94 bits per doubling 120 bits (61.86 doublings) remaining 4.19338e+18 times larger is possible Everyone on earth could have 625878182 data sets like yours, all in one repository, and we would expect 1 object collision. $ bup margin --predict PackIdxList: using 1 index. Reading indexes: 100.00% (1612581/1612581), done. 915 of 1612581 (0.057%) SEE ALSO
bup-midx(1), bup-save(1) BUP
Part of the bup(1) suite. AUTHORS
Avery Pennarun <apenwarr@gmail.com>. Bup unknown- bup-margin(1)