Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Remove pipe(|) symbol in except the ones which are enclosed in double quotes Post 302948067 by Sathyapts on Thursday 25th of June 2015 11:12:47 AM
Old 06-25-2015
I am trying to keep the pipe symbol between the quotes

I have tried these, still not getting the expected results.

sed -e ':a;s/^\(\(\(["]\)[^\3]*\3\|[^"]*\)*\)|/\1/;ta' data_file_name

Code:
awk '{  for (i = 0; ++i <= NF;) if (i != NF) {printf "%s",$i} else {printf "%s\n",$i}}' FPAT='("[^"]+")|([^|]+)' data_file_name

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to remove a character which is enclosed in Double quotes

I want to remove the comma which is present within the double quoted string. All other commas which is present outside double quotes should be present. Input : a,b,"cc,dd,ee",f,ii,"jj,kk",mmm output : a,b,"ccddee",f,ii,"jjkk",mmm (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohan_tuty
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

remove verticalbar or pipe symbol

hi guys i have 6000 rows column the text in the column has the symbol vertical bar |. i tried some of the commands to remove it but none of the commands are reconzng this symbol. would u plz help to remove this symbol from the text with any kind of unix command u r help would be appreciated ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: bogu0001
9 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

To Replace comma with Pipe inside double quotes

Hi, I have a requirement to replace the comma's inside the double quotes. The comma's inside the double quotes will get changed dynamically. Input Record: "Washington, DC,Prabhu,aju",New York Output Record: "Washington| DC|Prabhu|aju",New York I tried with the below command but it... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: prabhutkl
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

removing extra double quotes between pipe dilimeter

I have a flat file sample like this - "COURSE"|"ddddd " " dddd"|"sssddd sdsdsdsdx" dddddddd ffffff "aaaaa" dddddddd ffffff sdsdsd"|"xxxxxxx"| "COURSE"|"ffff " " bbbb"|"lllll"| The delimiter is pipe character (|) and the text are enclosed in double quotes... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vishalzone
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove characters enclosed in single quotes?

How to remove characters enclosed in single quotes? My data is something like this (03/22/2011 08:17:26.650) : ( -> '1' -> '1-1-3' -> '6' -> '1' -> 'SALMOR58BB4' aaaaa bbbbbb ccccc ((dddd)) I want the output to be (03/22/2011 08:17:26.650) : ( -> -> -> -> -> aaaaa... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rdhanek
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert csv to pipe delimited except the ones in double quotes

I have a csv data file : A,B,C,D,"A,B",E,"GG,H" E,F,G,H,I,J,"S,P" I need to replace all "," with "|" except the ones between double quotes i.e A|B|C|D|"A,B"|E|"GG,H" E|F|G|H|I|J|"S,P" CAn someone assist? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shivdatta
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove whitespace after pipe symbol but not inside words

I have a file that looks like this: 102| #2 X 1/4-INCH| 30188| EA| FTW| A| NOT SERIAL TRACKING| NOT LOT TRACKING| TRUE| #2 X 1/4-INCH 102| #2 X 1/4-INCH| 30188| EA| VPS| A| NOT SERIAL TRACKING| NOT LOT TRACKING| TRUE| #2 X 1/4-INCH 102| #6 X 1/2"| ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: djehresmann
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trying to remove double quotes

Hi, I am little new to forum and new on unix side. I have a small issue below: I am reading a file that has 5 columns something like below. col1,col2,col3,col4,col5 Some records are having double quoted values something like below: "value1","value2","value3","value4","value5" I need... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Saanvi1
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to delete the commas in a .CSV file that are enclosed in a string with double quotes?

Okay, I would like to delete all the commas in a .CSV file (TEST.CSV) or at least substitute them with empty space, that are enclosed in double quote. Please see the sample file as below: column 1,column 2,column 3,column 4,column 5,column 6,column 7,column 8,column 9,column 10... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: dhruuv369
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove pipe(|) symbol ina file, except the ones which are enclosed in double quotes

I have file with are delimited by pipe(|) symbol, I wanted those to be removed except the ones which are enclosed in double quotes. If your quote file is: |Life is |Beautiful"|"Indeed life |is beautiful too|"|"But unix is fun| is not"|" It should return: Life is Beautiful"|"Indeed life is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Sathyapts
1 Replies
ESCAPESHELLARG(3)							 1							 ESCAPESHELLARG(3)

escapeshellarg - Escape a string to be used as a shell argument

SYNOPSIS
string escapeshellarg (string $arg) DESCRIPTION
escapeshellarg(3) adds single quotes around a string and quotes/escapes any existing single quotes allowing you to pass a string directly to a shell function and having it be treated as a single safe argument. This function should be used to escape individual arguments to shell functions coming from user input. The shell functions include exec(3), system(3) and the backtick operator. On Windows, escapeshellarg(3) instead removes percent signs, replaces double quotes with spaces and adds double quotes around the string. PARAMETERS
o $arg - The argument that will be escaped. RETURN VALUES
The escaped string. EXAMPLES
Example #1 escapeshellarg(3) example <?php system('ls '.escapeshellarg($dir)); ?> SEE ALSO
escapeshellcmd(3), exec(3), popen(3), system(3), backtick operator. PHP Documentation Group ESCAPESHELLARG(3)