Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Kill top 5 memory uses process Post 302947804 by MadeInGermany on Monday 22nd of June 2015 12:39:15 PM
Old 06-22-2015
On my HP-UX, ps aux gives the same output as ps blabla and ps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlliagre
You best bet is rebooting the server. Randomly killing processes is not a sane approach.
On SuSE Linux this is built into the kernel; they call it OOM killer. I call it amok runner.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

When kill doesnt work, how to kill a process ?

Hi All, I am unable to kill a process using kill command. I am using HP-UX system. I have tried with kill -9 and i have root privilages. How can i terminate this daemon ? ? ? Regards, Vijay Hegde (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: VijayHegde
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Kill a process without using kill command

Sorry, posted the question in other forum. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sudhamacs
0 Replies

3. Linux

Kill a process without using kill command

I want to Kill a process without using kill command as i don't have privileges to kill the process. I know the pid and i am using Linux 2.6.9 OS. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sudhamacs
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix Script to find and kill a process with high memory utilization

Hi Unix Gurus i am somewhat new to unix scripting so need your help to create a script as below. # This script would find the process consuming memory beyond a certain #limit. if the meemory consumption is more than 100% for a period of 1 # minute for the specific process. the script would... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: robinforlinux
0 Replies

5. AIX

Command to find TOP 5 Memory consuming process

HI All, Can anyone send me a command to find TOP 5 Memory consuming process. It would be lelpful if I get output something like below processname - pid - memory(in MB) - command I tried few commands from the internet but the result only give the real memory usage or pagging, I want total... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bce_groups
4 Replies

6. AIX

Need a list of top 10 CPU using processes (also top 10 memory hogs, separately)

Okay, I am trying to come up with a multi-platform script to report top ten CPU and memory hog processes, which will be run by our enterprise monitoring application as an auto-action item when the CPU and Memory utilization gets reported as higher than a certain threshold I use top on other... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: thenomad
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

kill process from a file or directly with top

i have edited a script to kill an exact mysql process is causing the high load on the server, my problem is, kill dont kill it! script: #!/bin/sh top -n 1 -u mysql | grep mysqld | awk '{print $1}' > pid proc='cat pid' kill -9 $proc or i try with kill -9 `top -n 1 -u mysql | grep mysqld... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: chandro
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cron job and shell script to kill a process if memory gets to high

Hello, I'd like to set a cron job that runs a shell script every 30 minutes or so to restart a java based service if the memory gets above 80%. Any advice on how to do this? Thanks in advance! - Ryan (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: prometheon123
19 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Kill an specific process ID using the KILL and GREP commands

Good afternoon I need to KILL a process in a single command sentence, for example: kill -9 `ps -aef | grep 'CAL255.4ge' | grep -v grep | awk '{print $2}'` That sentence Kills the process ID corresponding to the program CAL255.4ge. However it is possible that the same program... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: enriquegm82
6 Replies

10. Red Hat

How to find memory taken by a process using top command?

I wanted to know how to find the memory taken by a process using top command. The output of the top command is as follows as an example: Mem: 13333364k total, 13238904k used, 94460k free, 623640k buffers Swap: 25165816k total, 112k used, 25165704k free, 4572904k cached PID USER ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: RHCE
6 Replies
KILL(2) 							System Calls Manual							   KILL(2)

NAME
kill - send signal to a process SYNOPSIS
kill(pid, sig); DESCRIPTION
Kill sends the signal sig to the process specified by the process number in r0. See signal(2) for a list of signals. The sending and receiving processes must have the same effective user ID, otherwise this call is restricted to the super-user. If the process number is 0, the signal is sent to all other processes in the sender's process group; see tty(4). If the process number is -1, and the user is the super-user, the signal is broadcast universally except to processes 0 and 1, the scheduler and initialization processes, see init(8). Processes may send signals to themselves. SEE ALSO
signal(2), kill(1) DIAGNOSTICS
Zero is returned if the process is killed; -1 is returned if the process does not have the same effective user ID and the user is not super-user, or if the process does not exist. ASSEMBLER
(kill = 37.) (process number in r0) sys kill; sig KILL(2)