Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Bring prompt from a different process Post 302947139 by RudiC on Monday 15th of June 2015 07:08:56 PM
Old 06-15-2015
And you want the result back in the original session?

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unable to bring up Sun OS

The last thing I did was set REMOTE_LOGIN_PASSWORDFILE to EXCLUSIVE. Then rebooted server. Since that time I have not been able to login. During bootup it can't find root and generates alot of errors. Does anybody know of a default login and password that will allow me to log in and rebuild the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mayewil
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

User Prompt during batch script process

The script below performs an incremental database backup. When the increment backup is out of sequence, the process prompts the user: "Incremental backup out of sequece. Do you wish to continue? Y or N". This script is set to run as a scheduled process in background mode. When the script... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bond007jlv
2 Replies

3. Solaris

Can't bring E25K system controller to OK prompt

Hi, Due to some changes at our company, we lost the password for the root and sms-svc account on the primary system controller (E25K). We connected a serial console to the system controller but we never managed to break the session to bring it to the OK prompt. (tried: ~#, ~ b, ~, , a b,... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Solarius
9 Replies

4. Solaris

Not able to bring up the server

Hi All, I have a iplanet server running on solaris , i'm not able to start it using the start Its giving following error root@bld00: /usr/iplanet/servers6.1sp8/https-MLL-8.3dev # ./start Sun ONE Web Server 6.1SP8 B06/13/2007 23:15 info: CORE5076: Using from info: WEB0100: Loading web... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: renjithrnath
2 Replies

5. Red Hat

Cannot bring up Firefox

I have installed firefox and it previously worked before I installed the oracle software on my machine. Now when I click on the icon to bring up the browser it fails. I tried to do it from the command line and this is what I get: $ firefox Cannot find mozilla runtime directory. Exiting ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jxh461
1 Replies

6. HP-UX

Adding Storage, do I need to bring the DB down?

Hi Guys, Do I need to bring the DB down? masd023x:: uname -r B.11.11 Thanks! Where can I find this type of information? JC (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: 300zxmuro
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to Change the % prompt to - prompt in UNIX?

how to Change the % prompt to - prompt in unix :wall: ---------- Post updated at 07:40 AM ---------- Previous update was at 07:38 AM ---------- How To display the last modification time of any file in unix ---------- Post updated at 07:40 AM ---------- Previous update was at 07:40 AM... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: manjiri sawant
2 Replies

8. Solaris

Unable to move from rsc prompt to ok prompt

Hi, on sunfire v890 unable to move from rsc prompt to ok prompt, i have executed the command break. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bring two files together

Dear Forum, I was wondering if anybody could help me to bring to files together. I have two text files. In the text file each record occupies two lines. First the ID number and in the next line text. $ cat text.txt +12345678 text_A +12345644 text_B +12334241 text_C +1234586... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: GDC
5 Replies
SETPGID(P)						     POSIX Programmer's Manual							SETPGID(P)

NAME
setpgid - set process group ID for job control SYNOPSIS
#include <unistd.h> int setpgid(pid_t pid, pid_t pgid); DESCRIPTION
The setpgid() function shall either join an existing process group or create a new process group within the session of the calling process. The process group ID of a session leader shall not change. Upon successful completion, the process group ID of the process with a process ID that matches pid shall be set to pgid. As a special case, if pid is 0, the process ID of the calling process shall be used. Also, if pgid is 0, the process ID of the indicated process shall be used. RETURN VALUE
Upon successful completion, setpgid() shall return 0; otherwise, -1 shall be returned and errno shall be set to indicate the error. ERRORS
The setpgid() function shall fail if: EACCES The value of the pid argument matches the process ID of a child process of the calling process and the child process has success- fully executed one of the exec functions. EINVAL The value of the pgid argument is less than 0, or is not a value supported by the implementation. EPERM The process indicated by the pid argument is a session leader. EPERM The value of the pid argument matches the process ID of a child process of the calling process and the child process is not in the same session as the calling process. EPERM The value of the pgid argument is valid but does not match the process ID of the process indicated by the pid argument and there is no process with a process group ID that matches the value of the pgid argument in the same session as the calling process. ESRCH The value of the pid argument does not match the process ID of the calling process or of a child process of the calling process. The following sections are informative. EXAMPLES
None. APPLICATION USAGE
None. RATIONALE
The setpgid() function shall group processes together for the purpose of signaling, placement in foreground or background, and other job control actions. The setpgid() function is similar to the setpgrp() function of 4.2 BSD, except that 4.2 BSD allowed the specified new process group to assume any value. This presents certain security problems and is more flexible than necessary to support job control. To provide tighter security, setpgid() only allows the calling process to join a process group already in use inside its session or create a new process group whose process group ID was equal to its process ID. When a job control shell spawns a new job, the processes in the job must be placed into a new process group via setpgid(). There are two timing constraints involved in this action: 1. The new process must be placed in the new process group before the appropriate program is launched via one of the exec functions. 2. The new process must be placed in the new process group before the shell can correctly send signals to the new process group. To address these constraints, the following actions are performed. The new processes call setpgid() to alter their own process groups after fork() but before exec. This satisfies the first constraint. Under 4.3 BSD, the second constraint is satisfied by the synchronization property of vfork(); that is, the shell is suspended until the child has completed the exec, thus ensuring that the child has completed the setpgid(). A new version of fork() with this same synchronization property was considered, but it was decided instead to merely allow the parent shell process to adjust the process group of its child processes via setpgid(). Both timing constraints are now satisfied by having both the parent shell and the child attempt to adjust the process group of the child process; it does not matter which succeeds first. Since it would be confusing to an application to have its process group change after it began executing (that is, after exec), and because the child process would already have adjusted its process group before this, the [EACCES] error was added to disallow this. One non-obvious use of setpgid() is to allow a job control shell to return itself to its original process group (the one in effect when the job control shell was executed). A job control shell does this before returning control back to its parent when it is terminating or sus- pending itself as a way of restoring its job control "state" back to what its parent would expect. (Note that the original process group of the job control shell typically matches the process group of its parent, but this is not necessarily always the case.) FUTURE DIRECTIONS
None. SEE ALSO
exec() , getpgrp() , setsid() , tcsetpgrp() , the Base Definitions volume of IEEE Std 1003.1-2001, <sys/types.h>, <unistd.h> COPYRIGHT
Portions of this text are reprinted and reproduced in electronic form from IEEE Std 1003.1, 2003 Edition, Standard for Information Technol- ogy -- Portable Operating System Interface (POSIX), The Open Group Base Specifications Issue 6, Copyright (C) 2001-2003 by the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, Inc and The Open Group. In the event of any discrepancy between this version and the original IEEE and The Open Group Standard, the original IEEE and The Open Group Standard is the referee document. The original Standard can be obtained online at http://www.opengroup.org/unix/online.html . IEEE
/The Open Group 2003 SETPGID(P)