Sponsored Content
Operating Systems HP-UX HPUX 11.23 - server is crawling Post 302947084 by bakunin on Monday 15th of June 2015 10:00:44 AM
Old 06-15-2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by waytec
but when I opened SAM and entered network config it basically locked up and crawl over 2 hours before opening the net config SAM window.
I am in no way a "HP-UX master", but this sounds suspiciously like a resolution problem. Most times when the system is fine but network response is infinitely bad it is for one of two reasons:

1) The DNS server you are using responds very slowly (or not at all). This might come from a severed link between the two machines (for instance a firewall blocking port 53) or whatever. Have a look at /etc/nsswitch, "files" should go before "bind", meaning name resolution first tries a local /etc/hosts file and only then the DNS server. You might want to put all the "important" systems into /etc/hosts so that you do not have to rely on DNS being available.

2) Another possible scenario would be a "physically" severed link to the network. Possible causes would be a switch port set to half-duplex while the system port is set to full-duplex (or vice versa), different link speeds, Auto-Negotiation gone awry, or similar. Half-duplex vs full-duplex is tricky because "ping" will work (most of the time, anyways) but the line speed will be reduced to near zilch.

I hope this helps.

bakunin
This User Gave Thanks to bakunin For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

Finding server Model on HPUX

Hi i am just wondering is there a command in hp that you can find the server model on hpux? Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lnineill
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Configuration of email on HPUX server

I am working in an developer 2000 based application where backend is Oracle9i in unix environment. My application has the functionality if email generation. But I am not able to test this functionality as my HPUX server is not configured for emails. Please let me know the steps for configuring mail... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sharmavr
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need an advise Backup HPUX Server while online

I will perform a "fbackup -f /dev/rmt/0m -i /". Can any body advise me on the following: 1. Is this a full backup of the entire file system or like the entire image of the server. Is it ok to do a backup while the server is online. 2. If it is not advisable to do a backup while the server is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: real-chess
2 Replies

4. HP-UX

Can't start the cpp server in hpux

Hello, I have writtern the makefile and successfully produce the server exe. But, it doesn't run in hpux11.11 server. compile and link option: /opt/aCC/bin/aCC -Aa -Wl,+s /cc/smc3/root/development/auto_activation/AA_global/obj/smc3/aa_config.o... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: onlyforforum
0 Replies

5. HP-UX

how to execute script from my desktop windows xp to my HPUX server?

Good day, i would like to get some advice, how will i execute my script in hp ux servers, and how to configure rsh and rexec. thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kenshinhimura
2 Replies

6. HP-UX

Ignite issue on HPUX server

Hi All, I am getting below error while igniting(restoring image) on 2470 server. i tried with different images it is giving same error. please help me out to resolve this issue * Making VxFS filesystem for "/usr/aethos/snss/suppimpapp1", (/dev/vg00/rsuppimpapp1). *... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Prabhu H
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need Script to Use CPUs on a HPUX server to simulate Workload Manager on HPUX.

I am running HPUX and using WLM (workload manager). I want to write a script to fork CPUs to basically take CPUs from other servers to show that the communication is working and CPU licensing is working. Basically, I want to build a script that will use up CPU on a server. Any ideas? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cpolikowsky
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Crawling a MS-Doc using scripting

Hi Everyone How you doing all.Im planning to write a script that will crawl a MS-Document and should take the values from it.Is it possible at all.Im not a scripting guru just want to know your thoughts.. Im planning to do some thing like this: Microsoft Document has: Servername:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: coolkid
1 Replies

9. HP-UX

Problem in Configuring kerberos Server on HPUX

Hi, I am getting this error during kerberos server setup in HPUX 11.31 : kdb_create: unknown LDAP backend error while adding master entry to the database ps -ef|grep ldap root 3905 1 0 13:11:36 ? 0:00 /opt/ldapux/bin/ldapclientd Unable to find out the meaning of this... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Amit Kulkarni
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to send mail with attachments in hpux server?

I am trying to send a mail alongwith attachments in hpux server. Its not throwing any error but it seems the command is still running,neither its sending the mail. The commands i am using is- uuencode 00PZ00000012OHJMA2.csv | mailx -s "Hello" abc@hp.com uuencode Shell_Script_Sample.ksh |... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: saga20
1 Replies
bootpquery(1M)															    bootpquery(1M)

NAME
bootpquery - send BOOTREQUEST to BOOTP server SYNOPSIS
haddr [htype] [options] DESCRIPTION
is a diagnostic function used to check the configuration of the Internet Bootstrap Protocol (BOOTP) server, bootpd(1M). This function can only be run by the superuser, since it uses reserved ports. constructs a boot request with the supplied parameters to send to the BOOTP server, and prints the contents of the BOOTP server reply (as shown in below). Note that formats and prints RFC-1048 or CMU-style vendor information included in the BOOTREPLY. The BOOTREQUEST packet is broadcast on the BOOTP server port, If a BOOTP server is configured to respond to the request, it returns a BOOTREPLY packet on the BOOTP client port, can only display BOOTREPLY packets when the BOOTP server broadcasts the reply on the client port or when the hardware address and IP address supplied in the BOOTREQUEST are those of the host on which is run. The following options provide the information for the BOOTREQUEST: Hardware address of the BOOTP client; used in the BOOTREQUEST. A BOOTP server responds if it has configuration information for a host with this link-level address. Type of address specified as haddr; may be or The default address type is Specify the internet address of the BOOTP client to be used in the BOOTREQUEST. If the BOOTP client does not know its IP address, the BOOTP server supplies it in the BOOTREPLY. Otherwise, the server returns the BOOTREPLY directly to ipaddr. Specify the name of the BOOTP server to receive BOOTREQUEST. When the BOOTP server is known, the BOOTREQUEST is not broadcast. Specify a vendor name to include vendor information in the BOOTREPLAY. vendor can be specified as or For any other vendor specification, the first four characters of the parameter are used as the vendor magic cookie. Specify that should broadcast the reply back. This option is only valid for on the HPUX 10.0 (or later) release(s). Specify a boot file needed by the BOOTP client. If a boot file is specified in the BOOTREQUEST, the BOOTP server responds only if the server host can make the file available. EXAMPLES
/usr/sbin/bootpquery 02608cee018e ether -s hpserver Received BOOTREPLY from hpserver.hp.com (15.9.18.119) Hardware Address: 02:60:8c:ee:01:8e Hardware Type: ethernet IP Address: 15.9.18.113 Boot file: /export/tftpdir/hp-gw2-confg RFC 1048 Vendor Information: Subnet Mask: 255.255.248.0 Bootfile Size: 6 512 byte blocks Domain Name Server: 15.9.18.119 Host Name: hp-gw2 AUTHOR
was developed by HP. SEE ALSO
bootpd(1M), tftp(1), tftpd(1M). DARPA Internet Request For Comments RFC951, RFC1048, RFC1084, RFC1395, RFC1542 Assigned Numbers. bootpquery(1M)