Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Filter all the lines with minimum specified length of words of a text file Post 302946744 by my_Perl on Thursday 11th of June 2015 09:00:44 PM
Old 06-11-2015
Filter all the lines with minimum specified length of words of a text file

The content of the sample file to be filtered is :
=============================

Code:
This is a test file.
This is
This
That 
That is 
I
You
That is a sample.

============================
And the sample output should look like as given below if I filter sentences more than or equal to 2 (two) words in a line.

Code:
This is a test file.
This is
That is 
That is a sample.

Last edited by Don Cragun; 06-11-2015 at 10:46 PM.. Reason: Change HTML tags to CODE tags.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

minimum password length

Dear frnds, how i can make the password 5chs minimum length in hp-ux 11i ? pls help regards (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jestinabel
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

remove strings of lowercase characters (with minimum length requirement)

Hi all, I want to delete all lowercase characters from my file, but only strings of length 7 and more. For example, how can I go from: JHGEFigeIGDUIirfyfiyhgfoiyfKJHGuioyrDHG To: JHGEFigeIGDUIKJHGuioyrDHG There should be a trick to add to sed 's///g', but I can't figure it out.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: elbuzzo
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to read lines in a text file and filter user data

hi all, I have this file with some user data. example: $cat myfile.txt FName|LName|Gender|Company|Branch|Bday|Salary|Age aaaa|bbbb|male|cccc|dddd|19900814|15000|20| eeee|asdg|male|gggg|ksgu|19911216||| aara|bdbm|male|kkkk|acke|19931018||23| asad|kfjg|male|kkkc|gkgg|19921213|14000|24|... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: srimal
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Display all the words whose length is equal to the longest word in the text

Hi Guys, I was going some trial and error to see if I can find the longest word in a text. I was using Pipes because they are easier to use in this case. I was stuck on this for a while so I thought I'll get some help with it. I tried this code to separate all the words in a text in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bawse.c
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Filter (by max length) only lines not matching regex

I have a large file of many pairs of sequences and their headers, which always begin with '>' I'm looking for help on how to retain only sequences (and their headers) below a certain length. So if min length was 10, output would be I can filter by length, but I'm not sure how to exclude... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pathunkathunk
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Filter file by length, looking only at lines that don't begin with ">"

I have a file that stores data in pairs of lines, following this format: line 1: header (preceded by ">") line 2: sequence Example.txt: >seq1 name GATTGATGTTTGAGTTTTGGTTTTT >seq2 name TTTTCTTC I want to filter out the sequences and corresponding headers for all sequences that are less... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pathunkathunk
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Shell script to read lines in a text file and filter user data Shell Programming and Scripting

sxsaaas (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: VikrantD
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Filter records in a huge text file from a filter text file

Hi Folks, I have a text file with lots of rows with duplicates in the first column, i want to filter out records based on filter columns in a different filter text file. bash scripting is what i need. Data.txt Name OrderID Quantity Sam 123 300 Jay 342 498 Kev 78 2500 Sam 420 50 Vic 10... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tech_frk
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep : Filter/Move All The Lines Containing Not More Than One "X" Character Into A Text File

Hi All It's me again with another huge txt files. :confused: What I have: - I have 33 huge txt files in a folder. - I have thousands of line in this txt file which contain many the letter "x" in them. - Some of them have more than one "x" character in the line. What I want to achieve:... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nexeu
8 Replies
AN(6)								   Games Manual 							     AN(6)

NAME
an - Anagram generator SYNOPSIS
an [-w] [-c string] [-d dictionary] [-l number_words] [-m word_length] [-u string] [-n number_anagrams] [-h] [-v] [--words] [--contain string] [--dict dictionary] [--length number_words] [--minimum word_length] [--used string] [--number number_anagrams] [--help] [--ver- sion] PHRASE DESCRIPTION
an finds all anagrams which can be made from the letters in PHRASE, using words in the specified dictionary. The default is to use /usr/share/dict/words. OPTIONS
-w, --words Print words that the letters in PHRASE can make, then exit. -c, --contain string Only print anagrams which contain string. -d, --dict dictionary Use dictionary file to find words which the letters in PHRASE can make. -m, --minimum word_length Only include word which are at least word_length long. -u, --used string Considers that letters in string have already used when analyzing letters in PHRASE. Like --contain but doesn't print out string. -l, --length number_words Finds anagrams which have a maximum of number_words words in them. This is very useful when number of anagrams which are output is large. -n, --number number_anagrams Stops after finding number_anagrams anagrams. -h, --help Print a usage message on standard output, then exit. -v, --version Print version information on standard output, then exit. EXAMPLE
an -c imp 'Paul Martin' Finds anagrams for Paul Martin which contain the word imp. AUTHOR
Paul Martin <pm@debian.org> THANKS
Richard Jones (richard@deep-thought.org) - Coding and algorithm design of original version. Julian Assange (proff@suburbia.net) - Algorithm design of original version. Please note that the email addresses for Richard and Julian are from over ten years ago and probably no longer work. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) Paul Martin 2012. All rights reserved. AN(6)