Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Shutdown Oracle DB on SunOS Cluster Post 302946081 by jim mcnamara on Sunday 7th of June 2015 12:00:13 AM
Old 06-07-2015
I'm confused - the example you gave restarted the oracle instance.

Generally during an oracle install, system startup and shutdown routines:
/var/opt/oracle/oratab are created to handle this. sysadmins do nothing except cluster and system shutdown/reboot stuff.

Is your oracle instance running on a Solaris cluster - it looks that way.

If what you showed is how you handle a reboot, then remove the sqlplus restart command and the clusvcadm -U command in order to completely power down.

Last edited by jim mcnamara; 06-07-2015 at 12:11 PM..

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Connecting to a Oracle Db using SunOS

Hi Guys, how do I connect to a Oracle Database from my machines running on Solaris 5 and 9. Do I need a Oracle client installed or is there any other way to connect to the Oracle Db without using the oracle client? Any inputs will be highly appreciated. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: darmat0712
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Capturing Oracle Shutdown error

Hi, Iam calling 3 sql scripts through one shell script 'rmia.sh'. Till now this was working fine, but last time while calling the SQL scripts, Oracle was down. But amazingly the exit status was '0' (success)!!! Below is the shell code: #!/usr/bin/ksh -x assign_file asql a.sql 1... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: ganapati
15 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to Shutdown Computers on Cluster

Hello all. I have built a cluster of 9 Macs for computational chemistry and I need a shell script that I can use from one computer to all the rest to shutdown. I have modified all of the Macs so that there is pass-wordless ssh. As well, I have modified each "visudo" file on each machine by... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: marcozd
1 Replies

4. Solaris

Shutdown the package in SUN cluster

Hi, I have a SUN cluster system. I want to know what script do when the SUN cluster shutdown the package as I may need to modify it ?? Where can I find out this information in the system?? In which directory and log file ??? Any suggestion ??? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: chuikingman
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script to force Oracle database shutdown when shutdown immediate does not work

I have Oracle 9i R2 on AIX 5.2. My Database is running in shared server mode (MTS). Sometimes when I shutdown the database it shutsdown cleanly in 4-5 mints and sometimes it takes good 15-20 minutes and then I get some ora-600 errors and only way to shutdown is by opening another session and... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: aixhp
7 Replies

6. Solaris

SunOS 8.5 random shutdown

hope this is the correct spot. we have 4 unit running SunOS 8.5 2 in offices and 2 running equipment in the lab. the communicate over our network to run/monitor jobs on the equipment. they randomly shut off recently. twice last thursday and once this friday. the vendor of the equipment... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: fah_kinright
4 Replies
reboot(8)						      System Manager's Manual							 reboot(8)

NAME
reboot, halt, poweroff - reboot or stop the system SYNOPSIS
reboot [OPTION]... halt [OPTION]... poweroff [OPTION]... DESCRIPTION
These programs allow a system administrator to reboot, halt or poweroff the system. When called with --force or when in runlevel 0 or 6, this tool invokes the reboot(2) system call itself and directly reboots the system. Otherwise this simply invokes the shutdown(8) tool with the appropriate arguments. Before invoking reboot(2), a shutdown time record is first written to /var/log/wtmp OPTIONS
-f, --force Does not invoke shutdown(8) and instead performs the actual action you would expect from the name. -p, --poweroff Instructs the halt command to instead behave as poweroff. -w, --wtmp-only Does not call shutdown(8) or the reboot(2) system call and instead only writes the shutdown record to /var/log/wtmp --verbose Outputs slightly more verbose messages when rebooting, useful for debugging problems with shutdown. ENVIRONMENT
RUNLEVEL reboot will read the current runlevel from this environment variable if set in preference to reading from /var/run/utmp FILES
/var/run/utmp Where the current runlevel will be read from; this file will also be updated with the runlevel record being replaced by a shutdown time record. /var/log/wtmp A new runlevel record for the shutdown time will be appended to this file. AUTHOR
Written by Scott James Remnant <scott@netsplit.com> REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs at <https://launchpad.net/upstart/+bugs> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2009 Canonical Ltd. This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICU- LAR PURPOSE. SEE ALSO
shutdown(8) telinit(8) runlevel(8) Upstart 2009-07-09 reboot(8)