Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Delete Files from a date
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Delete Files from a date Post 302945818 by dbajtr on Wednesday 3rd of June 2015 10:53:09 AM
Old 06-03-2015
Delete Files from a date

I'm quite new to Unix but I want to delete some old backup files stored in a directory.

the backups are stored on a network storage device located at /mnt/terastation12/backup. I want to delete everything upto one month ago. would the following command in Unix Sun do that?

Code:
find /mnt/terastation12/backup -mtime +31 -exec rm {} \;

Cheers

Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment code tags please

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to delete files by date

My apache logs are saved in the following format (using rotatelogs): Oct 8 01:59 access_log.1002412800 Oct 9 01:55 access_log.1002499200 Oct 10 01:58 access_log.1002585600 Oct 11 01:56 access_log.1002672000 Oct 12 01:59 access_log.1002758400 I would like to run a cronjob once a week to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jamesbond
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Delete files by date

Hi, Can anyone help me delete old files in a directory? Let's say, I want to delete all files which are 365 days old. Thank you. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: risk_sly
2 Replies

3. Solaris

Delete files according to date

Hi All, I am wondering whether is there a way to remove files according to date. For example, I have 500 files between Jan - April, and I want to remove files created only on March. Is there any way to do this? Thanks in advanced. rgds, Ronny (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ronny_nch
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete files by date

Hello, Due to an error while processing data I have to delete all files created the 4 october on a RED HAT 3 Server. I am wondering if one of you is aware of a command that could only delete all files that were created the Oct 4 This will be very, very, very helpful Thanks for your... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Aswex
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete the files by exact date

we have files created by Aug12 and Feb 23 and Mar10 i want to delete the files which has created on Mar 10 Kindly let me know the script to delete the files which is created by Mar 10 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: venikathir
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Needs to delete particular date files in a directory

Hi Guys, I need help on deleting particular date files in a directory. I have to delete thousands of files with respect to particular date. Could anyone help on this to delete particular date files at a time? Thanks in Advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: teddy2882
2 Replies

7. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

How to delete files from a specific date?

Guys, I am wondering how to remove files for a specific date in a directory? for instance when I do ls -l , i see many files. And i want to delete files for date May 15: 58252015 May 10 03:45 my_05102012.log 58252015 May 15 06:45 my_05152012.log Thanks (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: DallasT
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete log files content older than 30 days and append the lastest date log file date

To delete log files content older than 30 days and append the lastest date log file date in the respective logs I want to write a shell script that deletes all log files content older than 30 days and append the lastest log file date in the respective logs This is my script cd... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sreekumarhari
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Delete files of a particular date

dear all, i m a newbie and i want to delete all files of a particular date,how can i do this? your help appreciated,thanks in advance. OS:RHEL 6 (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mdabdul
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to delete all the files older than a date?

Hi, I need a command for deleting all the compress files *.Z that are older than the current date - 5 days. Basically I have a directory where daily I meet some back up files and I want to remove automatically the ones 5 days (or more) older than the current date. How can I write a 'rm' command... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Francy
1 Replies
FSVS - Backup HOWTO(5)						       fsvs						    FSVS - Backup HOWTO(5)

NAME
HOWTO: Backup - This document is a step-by-step explanation how to do backups using FSVS. This document is a step-by-step explanation how to do backups using FSVS. Preparation If you're going to back up your system, you have to decide what you want to have stored in your backup, and what should be left out. Depending on your system usage and environment you first have to decide: o Do you only want to backup your data in /home? o Less storage requirements o In case of hardware crash the OS must be set up again o Do you want to keep track of your configuration in /etc? o Very small storage overhead o Not much use for backup/restore, but shows what has been changed o Or do you want to backup your whole installation, from / on? o Whole system versioned, restore is only a few commands o Much more storage space needed - typically you'd need at least a few GB free space. The next few moments should be spent thinking about the storage space for the repository - will it be on the system harddisk, a secondary or an external harddisk, or even off-site? Note: If you just created a fresh repository, you probably should create the 'default' directory structure for subversion - trunk, branches, tags; this layout might be useful for your backups. The URL you'd use in fsvs would go to trunk. Possibly you'll have to take the available bandwidth into your considerations; a single home directory may be backed up on a 56k modem, but a complete system installation would likely need at least some kind of DSL or LAN. Note: If this is a production box with sparse, small changes, you could take the initial backup on a local harddisk, transfer the directory with some media to the target machine, and switch the URLs. A fair bit of time should go to a small investigation which file patterns and paths you not want to back-up. o Backup files like *.bak, *~, *.tmp, and similar o History files: .sh-history and similar in the home-directories o Cache directories: your favourite browser might store many MB of cached data in you home-directories o Virtual system directories, like /proc and /sys, /dev/shmfs. Telling FSVS what to do Given $WC as the working directory - the base of the data you'd like backed up (/, /home), and $URL as a valid subversion URL to your (already created) repository path. Independent of all these details the first steps look like these: cd $WC fsvs urls $URL Now you have to say what should be ignored - that'll differ depending on your needs/wishes. fsvs ignore './**~' './**.tmp' './**.bak' fsvs ignore ./proc/ ./sys/ ./tmp/ fsvs ignore ./var/tmp/ ./var/spool/lpd/ fsvs ignore './var/log/*.gz' fsvs ignore ./var/run/ /dev/pts/ fsvs ignore './etc/*.dpkg-dist' './etc/*.dpkg-new' fsvs ignore './etc/*.dpkg-old' './etc/*.dpkg-bak' Note: /var/run is for transient files; I've heard reports that reverting files there can cause problems with running programs. Similar for /dev/pts - if that's a devpts filesystem, you'll run into problems on update or revert - as FSVS won't be allowed to create entries in this directory. Now you may find that you'd like to have some files encrypted in your backup - like /etc/shadow, or your .ssh/id_* files. So you tell fsvs to en/decrypt these files: fsvs propset fsvs:commit-pipe 'gpg -er {your backup key}' /etc/shadow /etc/gshadow fsvs propset fsvs:update-pipe 'gpg -d' /etc/shadow /etc/gshadow Note: This are just examples. You'll probably have to exclude some other paths and patterns from your backup, and mark some others as to-be- filtered. The first backup fsvs commit -m 'First commit.' That's all there is to it! Further use and maintenance The further usage is more or less the commit command from the last section. When do you have to do some manual work? o When ignore patterns change. o New filesystems that should be ignored, or would be ignored but shouldn't o You find that your favorite word-processor leaves many *.segv files behind, and similar things o If you get an error message from fsvs, check the arguments and retry. In desperate cases (or just because it's quicker than debugging yourself) ask on dev [at] fsvs.tigris.org. Restoration in a working system Depending on the circumstances you can take different ways to restore data from your repository. o 'fsvs export' allows you to just dump some repository data into your filesystem - eg. into a temporary directory to sort things out. o Using 'fsvs revert' you can get older revisions of a given file, directory or directory tree inplace. o Or you can do a fresh checkout - set an URL in an (empty) directory, and update to the needed revision. o If everything else fails (no backup media with fsvs on it), you can use subversion commands (eg. export) to restore needed parts, and update the rest with fsvs. Recovery for a non-booting system In case of a real emergency, when your harddisks crashed or your filesystem was eaten and you have to re-partition or re-format, you should get your system working again by o booting from a knoppix or some other Live-CD (with FSVS on it), o partition/format as needed, o mount your harddisk partitions below eg. /mnt, o and then recovering by $ cd /mnt $ export FSVS_CONF=/etc/fsvs # if non-standard $ export FSVS_WAA=/var/spool/fsvs # if non-standard $ fsvs checkout -o softroot=/mnt If somebody asks really nice I'd possibly even create a recovery command that deduces the softroot parameter from the current working directory. For more information please take a look at Using an alternate root directory. Feedback If you've got any questions, ideas, wishes or other feedback, please tell us in the mailing list users [at] fsvs.tigris.org. Thank you! Author Generated automatically by Doxygen for fsvs from the source code. Version trunk:2424 11 Mar 2010 FSVS - Backup HOWTO(5)