Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Issues in Csv file transfer copy from one dir to another Post 302945707 by Don Cragun on Monday 1st of June 2015 05:35:09 PM
Old 06-01-2015
This is a MUCH simpler problem than the problem the script you copied was trying to solve. To move a bunch of files from a single directory to a subdirectory of that same directory, all you need is something like:
Code:
cd /home/user/pumela
mv *.csv archive

You didn't answer whether you want to move files or copy files. The above code moves files; if you want to copy them instead, change mv to cp. If you want to make hard links to the files (giving each of the files two names) instead of moving them or copying them; change mv to ln.

I asked what systems other than cygwin running on Windows you wanted this script to work on. You said telnet, but telnet is a utility implementing a communications protocol to a remote system; it is not a type of system like Windows, UNIX, or Linux.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to copy a file to a directory ,where file and dir are sent as args to a function?

Hi all, I wanted to know how i can copy a file to a directory and then verify if that file is completely copied or not? Now the issues here is that the dir and the source file are to be sent as arguments to a function( this function should actually copy the files to a dir, then check if its... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: wrapster
0 Replies

2. UNIX and Linux Applications

CPIO Problem, copy to the root dir / instead of current dir

HI all, I got a CPIO archive that contains a unix filesystem that I try to extract, but it extract to the root dir / unstead of current dir, and happily it detects my file are newer otherwise it would have overwrited my system's file! I tried all these commands cpio -i --make-directories <... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nekkro-kvlt
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

File Transfer issues SUN - > AIX

Hi, I'm puzzled at how this could be. I'm trying to transfer some files from an Sun box to an AIX box via FTP. The file transfer goes fine until it reaches a file of about 150k then times out and fails. The FTP Does not seem to be able to transfer files of more than 150k! However, I can... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bbbngowc
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copy dir/file from one place to another.

Hello all. I'm not getting the hang of Paths. I have a dir w/files that I want to copy to another dir. Right now I am in the "source" directory. I want to copy it to Ch7. "cp -r source Ch7". Ch7 was already created. 1st msg.: cannot stat `source`: No such file or dir. I typed pwd & got... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ccccc
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copy Files to Dir and Check If File Exists

Hi everyone. I am trying to write a bash script that will copy files from one directory to another but I need to be able to check the directory that I'm copying the files to and see if the file already exists. If it does I need to add a number at the end of the copied file. Thanks for your help. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: snag49ers
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copy files from input file with dir structure

hi, I want to copy files from source directory based on input file (or output of previous command) and i want to have the SAME DIRECTORY STRUCTURE. Note that i will have other files and directories which i dont want to copy to destination. For example, dir source has following content:... (22 Replies)
Discussion started by: dragon.1431
22 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

check if some file is in copy process, then transfer it

my user copy large files, and it's take 10min for file to be copied to the server (/tmp/user/ files/), if in the meantime start my scheduled script, then it will copy a part of some file to server1 my idea is to check the file size twice in a short period (1-2 seconds) of time, then compare, if... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: waso
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copy files and subdirs from dir to a new dir

Hello Comunity I am trying to make a bash shell script that it copies files and subdirs(with files) to a new dir. I would like the dest_dir to contain only subdirectories with files not other subdirs inside. it called : cpflatdir src_dir dest_dir Pleaze help me! Thank you in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: BTKBaaMMM
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Secure Copy - File Transfer between 2 server

Using RCP command we can transfer file from one server to another server. While transferring we can rename the file also e.g. File name = FILE123.txt (lying on Source server = oldserver) Target Server Name = newyour Renamed File = FILE456.txt rcp FILE123.txt newyour:./FILE456.txt... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Pash
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Switching between directories and mkdir/copy dir/file

I was trying to copy the files inside the path /home/user/check/Q1/dir/folder1/expected/n/a1.out1 and a1.out2 and a1.out3 to /home/user/check/Q2/dir/folder1/expected/n/ if n directory is not present at Q2/dir/folder1/expected/ then directory should be created first. And, script follow the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mannu2525
5 Replies
bup-margin(1)						      General Commands Manual						     bup-margin(1)

NAME
bup-margin - figure out your deduplication safety margin SYNOPSIS
bup margin [options...] DESCRIPTION
bup margin iterates through all objects in your bup repository, calculating the largest number of prefix bits shared between any two entries. This number, n, identifies the longest subset of SHA-1 you could use and still encounter a collision between your object ids. For example, one system that was tested had a collection of 11 million objects (70 GB), and bup margin returned 45. That means a 46-bit hash would be sufficient to avoid all collisions among that set of objects; each object in that repository could be uniquely identified by its first 46 bits. The number of bits needed seems to increase by about 1 or 2 for every doubling of the number of objects. Since SHA-1 hashes have 160 bits, that leaves 115 bits of margin. Of course, because SHA-1 hashes are essentially random, it's theoretically possible to use many more bits with far fewer objects. If you're paranoid about the possibility of SHA-1 collisions, you can monitor your repository by running bup margin occasionally to see if you're getting dangerously close to 160 bits. OPTIONS
--predict Guess the offset into each index file where a particular object will appear, and report the maximum deviation of the correct answer from the guess. This is potentially useful for tuning an interpolation search algorithm. --ignore-midx don't use .midx files, use only .idx files. This is only really useful when used with --predict. EXAMPLE
$ bup margin Reading indexes: 100.00% (1612581/1612581), done. 40 40 matching prefix bits 1.94 bits per doubling 120 bits (61.86 doublings) remaining 4.19338e+18 times larger is possible Everyone on earth could have 625878182 data sets like yours, all in one repository, and we would expect 1 object collision. $ bup margin --predict PackIdxList: using 1 index. Reading indexes: 100.00% (1612581/1612581), done. 915 of 1612581 (0.057%) SEE ALSO
bup-midx(1), bup-save(1) BUP
Part of the bup(1) suite. AUTHORS
Avery Pennarun <apenwarr@gmail.com>. Bup unknown- bup-margin(1)